our first long trip

kevbo10

we took our first trip from west fla to atlanta and our 91 dolphin did great on the road. it has the v6 eng and auto trans and it held interstate speed very well. did better at 65-70 than 70-75. the generator was running the ac in the camper on the way up but we only got about 10 mpg. on the way back we used both ac's and only got 8-9 mpg. also the eng temp went way up with ac on truck, not max temp but close. when we slowed down the temp came down. all in all it was a good and enjoyable trip.

I've got a 92 winne same V6&auto running ac at 60 to 65 average over 13 I am sure if there was no wind and level it would be over 14,did replace fan clutch temp is fine about 1/2 way on the gauge.

with the wiegh I would not feel comftable over 70 if you have a blowout I think it would be all over the road or upside down to much weigh thier really maxed out.

Edited by Tom W

Glad to hear that your trip was so enjoyable. I've had two of these little beauties now (Escaper and Sunland Express... currently have the Sunland Express) and I only get the "good" gas-mileage at 50-55 mph. At those speeds I get about 17 mpg. It plumets dramatically by the time the engine turns enough RPMs to be going 60-65. But, your safest bet is definitely below 65 anyway! Keep having fun!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I just did a 4,000 mile trip from the mid-west to the grand canyon and traveled in the 60mph to 65mph

range, but did not have to use the AC. I have a 90 Toyota 22 foot V6, auto trans, and I was

getting in the 13mpg to 15mpg range.