i just purchased 89 toyota dolphin

musician man

i just got my dolphin, and love it. i will be heading to arizona in january, and would like any advice, and or warnings concerning this rv. she has 67000 miles on her, a v6 motor, she had a little de-lam over cab on the sides. i fixed it, but could use a new front cabover window. im in need of small trim parts, and cant figure out waterheater. im new at this, and not the handyest guy. but i love to travel, and am looking forward to my adventure in january.......just email me to say hello if you like. i think its great that there is a websight dedicated to toyota dolphin rvs.........looking forward to hearing from you.......musician man

i just got my dolphin, and love it. i will be heading to arizona in january, and would like any advice, and or warnings concerning this rv. she has 67000 miles on her, a v6 motor, she had a little de-lam over cab on the sides. i fixed it, but could use a new front cabover window. im in need of small trim parts, and cant figure out waterheater. im new at this, and not the handyest guy. but i love to travel, and am looking forward to my adventure in january.......just email me to say hello if you like. i think its great that there is a websight dedicated to toyota dolphin rvs.........looking forward to hearing from you.......musician man

Can you send us some pictures maybe we can help by looking at the trim pieces

located in indianapolis. you wouldnt be dennis cox would you? any way, i have a leak in my over cab window. it must be a replacement window, and im gona try to put a new piece of glass in it. i guess you just take the inner beauty ring off, have glass, or plastic cut to fit it, take the old replacement window out, clean the inner ring of the outer window, use some sort of caulk tape, and screw them back together.......i guess, im more handsome then handy...........my name is also dennis...........any comments....send them along......musician man

Congrats on the new Toyota.

Whereabouts are you located?

Dennis,

Indiana...

Hello Dennis,

I am located just North of Indy, I am Dennis Booth.

Did you purchase your Dolphin off of Shadeland on the East side of Indy?

Usually the windows leak due to the caulk tape, or the outter rubber trim/gasket

shrinks. The windows come out pretty easy. I would replace the caulk tape and

clean up the outter trim/gasket and add a little caulk to the trim gap if you cannot

find replacement trim. I have a website (need to find it) that sells replacement

trim, but you need to order the correct width size.

Later,

Dennis...

yes dennis, i purchased my dolphin off shadeland and 21st street on the east side. the motorhome needed an exhaust repair and front brake rotors right off the bat. i knew those repairs were needed. the fridge (if pluged in to electric smells of amonia, so i unplugged it. the cab over had delam on the sides, and i could tell it is from front window. the engine runs great, cab air, tilt cruse, radio, cig lighter, power steering, all work great. i can tell the front cabover window was a replacement type window. plus whoever did it, loved his caulk gun, more then his craftmanship! i am going to attempt repair tomorrow. it is going to be 70, and sunny. no better time to give it the old college try...................thank you for your imput, and keep it comming, im a little shakey at repairs.......but i try..........musicianman

Hello Dennis,

I am located just North of Indy, I am Dennis Booth.

Did you purchase your Dolphin off of Shadeland on the East side of Indy?

Usually the windows leak due to the caulk tape, or the outter rubber trim/gasket

shrinks. The windows come out pretty easy. I would replace the caulk tape and

clean up the outter trim/gasket and add a little caulk to the trim gap if you cannot

find replacement trim. I have a website (need to find it) that sells replacement

trim, but you need to order the correct width size.

Later,

Dennis...

Did you figure out the water heater yet. My 84 dolphin is a little hard to light. It takes moving the fire around a little to just catch the pilot just right. Then it lights, I hold the button in for a count of 60 release, turn to on and whooooooosh it's cooking. Good luck. We're in Kansas and just drove ours near Grants NM and back in about a three day turn around. It was great I love the smaller size and some of the great looks we get whenever we stop. They're definitely a cute and practical camper.

hey, thanks for the respnose. my waterheater is an electric start...i think, i ve looked at manual, but im lost.......ill read it again, and try to figure it out.l.....music man

Did you figure out the water heater yet. My 84 dolphin is a little hard to light. It takes moving the fire around a little to just catch the pilot just right. Then it lights, I hold the button in for a count of 60 release, turn to on and whooooooosh it's cooking. Good luck. We're in Kansas and just drove ours near Grants NM and back in about a three day turn around. It was great I love the smaller size and some of the great looks we get whenever we stop. They're definitely a cute and practical camper.

Sadie's water heater just needed a new thermo coupler....5 bucks for a universal at the plumbing store....

shanda

Welcome to the Forum Musician Man!

Regarding your water heater, it may be possible you have some air in your

propane line. Before trying the water heater, run your stove top burners

for about a minute to get the propane flowing.

If you think the water heater has an electric start, plug the RV into an electric

outlet in case your coach battery is not up to spec. If that is not possible, give

the water heater a try with the truck engine running. A little extra juice may help.

If your water heater has an electric start, there probably is a fuse that it is

connected to. On your coach curcuit breaker box there should be a 5 x 5 inch or so

panel that has 2 to 4 in-line fuses behind it, should be the glass cylinder type.

Make sure they are all good and that they are not corroded at the connectors.

Dennis...