Toyota 22R to Toyota V6, opinions please

JoeRV

Hello everyone, So i've owned both these engines 22r and 22re and the 3.0 V6.

It in terms of reliability, it seems toyota went from the best engine ever possibly (22r) to there worst ever possiblly early 90's V6.

That was my experience with Toyota trucks i've owned and it seems to be a theme i hear from others as well.

Of course i can see why they are attractive for the MH purpose, more power seems like a very good thing. my old 22r truck was pretty wimpy power wise so i can't imagine it pulling the weight of a MH but im excited to see what it feels like.

So most of the newer MH im looking at (90's) have the V6. Knowing what i know about them and how reliable the 22r/22re are, I'm looking for opinions.

Should i buy a earlier model late 80's or search longer for the 22r versions in the 90's?

OR is the V6 on these MH's nothing to fear? Maybe they will be better with less miles on them and everyday wear and tear?

thanks for any advice you can share!

The Pros's and Con's.

V6 Pro

V6 has a head gasket recall as they have problems. Timing belts should be replaced at around 80K miles. They have the horse power we really need.

Big difference between the 22 and V6 auto transmissions. The V6 has a locking torque converter where as the 22 does not. What does that mean? The 22 are prone to transmission overheating and failure because the torque converter is always slipping. When the V6 torque converter locks it no longer slips causing heat. Little fact: If you manually put the V6 transmission into 2nd gear it disables the locking feature of the torque converter and slips until you place it back in drive. Overdrive is useless with the 4, with the 6 it can be used from time to time but nt like a pickup. Another note, the OD with the 6 locks the TQ and therefor runs cooler.

Personally I think the V6 is a reliable motor. Also if you choose to find a 4 make sure it has full floating rear axle. A 6 will already have it.

Another thing besides engine is chassis improvements starting at the 1989 model year trucks. Heaver frames. Larger brakes. Heavier front suspension (23mm torsion bars). The 1 ton trucks made from 1989-1992 were up to the job that they had been put to for the previous decade.

I have a 1991 v6 and when/if the engine goes south it gets replaced with either a 1KD turbo diesel or a Lexus V8.

Hello everyone, So i've owned both these engines 22r and 22re and the 3.0 V6.

It in terms of reliability, it seems toyota went from the best engine ever possibly (22r) to there worst ever possiblly early 90's V6.

That was my experience with Toyota trucks i've owned and it seems to be a theme i hear from others as well.

Of course i can see why they are attractive for the MH purpose, more power seems like a very good thing. my old 22r truck was pretty wimpy power wise so i can't imagine it pulling the weight of a MH but im excited to see what it feels like.

So most of the newer MH im looking at (90's) have the V6. Knowing what i know about them and how reliable the 22r/22re are, I'm looking for opinions.

Should i buy a earlier model late 80's or search longer for the 22r versions in the 90's?

OR is the V6 on these MH's nothing to fear? Maybe they will be better with less miles on them and everyday wear and tear?

thanks for any advice you can share!

Hi Joe--we have had three Toyota motorhomes over the years. The first was a 1984 with the R22 engine and a 4-speed manual trans. Next was a 1990 with a V6 and auto/overdrive trans. Present beauty is a 1992 also with the V6 and auto/overdrive. Although the R22 was a quieter engine, it was sorely underpowered and the trans worked overtime to keep it moving especially whenever an incline was involved. The first V6 had over 100k when we sold her. The present beauty has 82K and is just as smooth and powerful as you could want. The point Greg made about later models are good and valid ones. Good luck in making your decision.

Or, you could turbo the four !

Well I am surprised no one has mentioned the 2.7 4 Cyl. which is in the 4X4 Tacomas. If I remember correct the 3.0 v6 has about 150 horsepower, and had issues with the head gasket in it's early years. The 2.7 liter 4 cyl. has 162 HP and should be bullet proof, but even more important is the 2.7 is not as heavy as the v6. I have heard that peoplel who offroad prefer the 2.7 to the v6 Tacoma because it is more balanced with less weight on the nose.

I figure any increase in power without adding weight would have to favor the power to weight ratio of the 2.7, as for which transmission to use with it I have no idea. Maybe I will be the first one to try the 2.7 in a Yodahome if I can find one in a wrecking yard, and take some measurements.

• 7 years later...

I have an '89 Odyssey Americana, stock 22r. Previous owner had put aftermarket headers. Has anybody put a turbo on the 22r & would that require a xmiss change?

Also, my generator compartment is not plumbed for exhaust, so I'm picking up a 2400w portable gen to fit into the gen compartment. Can I put an exhaust system in there so I don't have to leave my portable outside at night and subject to "walking" away? Or, can someone recommend a make/model of Onan (even if it's an older unit I can rebuild) that will fit properly in the compartment? Thanks for being there for us newbies, guys.

8 hours ago, Don Barra said:

I have an '89 Odyssey Americana, stock 22r. Previous owner had put aftermarket headers. Has anybody put a turbo on the 22r & would that require a xmiss change?

Also, my generator compartment is not plumbed for exhaust, so I'm picking up a 2400w portable gen to fit into the gen compartment. Can I put an exhaust system in there so I don't have to leave my portable outside at night and subject to "walking" away? Or, can someone recommend a make/model of Onan (even if it's an older unit I can rebuild) that will fit properly in the compartment? Thanks for being there for us newbies, guys.

Portable generator?   If you are talking about an open frame construction type generator in my experience and opinion I would not do it.  This type of generator needs free air flow to keep cool. Also they are extremely noisy and you will not be welcome to camp around others with it running.

Most of the Toys used a Onan Microlite 2.8 genset.  Look up the dimensions on them and measure your compartment to see if it will fit.  

Thanks for the info on a stock generator. The portable gen I was thinking of is the

Honda 2000I inverter, not a construction grade unit. I'll start trolling for the used Onan unit you suggested.

Edited by Don Barra
Mislabeled the generator model in orig posting.

4 hours ago, Don Barra said:

Thanks for the info on a stock generator. The portable gen I was thinking of is the

Honda 2000I inverter, not a construction grade unit. I'll start trolling for the used Onan unit you suggested.

I have the Honda 2000i  the generator compartment on my Toy is not large enough for it and would require modification.  It would also be difficult to route the exhaust, so I added a box on the rear end to carry it.