'78 Chinook

krj

Hi all. I'm flying to Vegas (Montana to Vegas, $39 one way!)on monday to buy a '78 Chinook. Any big issues I should be looking into before I start heading back with my new prize. I'm more concerned about potential safety issues than anything else, but any advice or hint that would make my trip go as smooth as possible will be welcome.

I also found a repoed '87 4x4 v6 pickup at a local junk yard today, hmmmm.

I'd say, "You get an "A" for gutsiness!!!" But that's half the fun now isn't it? All depends on how long it's been sitting. Sadie sat for 4 or 5 years before I bought her. Carb was clogged, gas was bad, tires were bad, brake fluid low. Check out those items on your new Nook..... along with oil/fluids.... at least it's a start. Wishing you a safe and restful trip home.

shanda

Just your basic items such as:

Tires (age) - check inflation (even the spare) and make sure you have a Jack and lug wrench

Brakes (should have enough pad showing to get you home)

Belts and hoses (checks - cracks - stiff)

Oil change (before you leave with it)

Everything else can be dealt with once you get it home.

Thanks for the input and support. Supposedly she "runs great, doesn't burn any oil, just got back from a trip". For $1000, we'll see. Definetly be checking tires and fluids.

Since both you guys have Raders, and fine looking specimens at that, I'll throw out a Rader frame question. Came across a mid 80's Rader for sale here and was crawling around underneath today and noticed what I thought may be frame cracks. Thing is, they're on both sides of the frame, in the same place (right behind the rear mount for the rear leafsprings) and look pretty clean, and there was a 6" to 8" piece of rectangular tubing above each. Normal frame construction, normal frame crack and repair? Grass was pretty high couldn't tell if there was obvious sagging. As always, thanks for all your sage advice, us newbies appreciate it!

All the things turtle and shandmac listed are good tips. Tire pressure and fluids seeming of most importance. I imagine it's pretty hot in LasVegas this time of year, so go SLOW! You can run it into the ground when you get home.

If the owner says it runs great, it probably does. I'd definitely bring your toolbox tho.

I bought a chinook a year or two ago from a guy in SoCal. Payed 1200 or 1500, can't remember now. I met him at one of Tika's rallies in Santa Barbara. Can't remember his name, Dave I think. I wrote him a check for 500 bucks without even hearing the motor start. Picked it up 3 months later. Thing drove great, but he also worked at an auto parts store :)

The P.O had kept a 3ring binder of maintenance records dating all the way back to the original purchase. I've never seen anything like this in my life. :)

Did you buy the 87 V6? Chinook would be perfect for this swap.

The toolbox is packed. I generally try to travel with just a carry-on, but in this case I think the additional $15 baggage fee will be worth it. Thanks for the heads up on the temp., I'll go easy on her.

As far as the '87 4x4, not yet. The yard had hauled it off of someones property, a past renter had left it there. Legally, they need to contact the titled owner of the truck before they can sell it, so we'll see.

In the mean time, I've come across a '94 Mazda b3000 v6 4x4. Haven't looked at it yet, but had the seller go out and check the GAWR rating and he says it's 4580 lbs in the rear. Much more than the tacomas, 3180lbs. I don't have any experience with Mazdas, anyone out there have Mazda knowledge or opinions.

Mazda's make pretty good trucks. I had a B2000 many years ago for a short while, and it was a good truck. I think the site owner, Greg, drives a Mazda truck? Parts for a Toyota would seem more available, but that's just an assumption.

The truck sounds like it has a good weight rating, espc for your Chinook.

The great thing about the Chinook camper conversion is that it will work with almost any frame (without wheel base modification) due to the door located in the back unlike the typical RV. This means the distance from the rear of the cab to the wheel wells won't be as critical to accommodate for a side slinging door. Wheel wells you can always move around to your desired location. Doors are harder to move, especially if there's not enough room for one.

MADE IT! She ran like a champ from the 90 temps of NV & AZ through the 2" of snow, 30 temps and blizzard I woke up to this a.m. Leaked a bit of oil somewhere in the front of the engine (any likely sources) but outside of that she was great. I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep her, the angled walls lead to some space restrictions. For example; the cabover measures less than 5'6" across and I'm 6'. Also eats into storage space up high and down low. The straight walls of a SunRader seem a lot more useful. We'll see, either way it was a good time and there will be more to come.

Glad you made it. Sounds like you experienced all 4 seasons on that trip home.

The angled walls lead to some space restrictions. For example; the cabover measures less than 5'6" across and I'm 6'. Also eats into storage space up high and down low.
I'm not real familiar with the Chinook's interior, but I do know they are small. I think you could make for a better design by just keeping it to the basics needs.

Here's one interior layout I would propose:

chinookinterior.png

• Turn the overhead into a storage area for light weight gear such as clothes, duffle bags, blankets etc. Some stackable tupperware bins would work well here for a chest of drawers. Obviously some way to secure these while in transit would be a must.
  • Run a cabinet/counter down one side and bench across the other.
  • The bed will have to be made every night, but will make up the span between the 2.
  • The bed should not run the entire length of cab as the space between the foot of bed and rear door will be very valuable while bed is in the erected position.
  • If you run the counter cabinet short of the cab as shown in yellow, you may be able to squeeze a small second bench seat back there. This will allow for one person to sit there as opposed to everybody down the line with only the one bench seat. I could see 3-4 ppl comfortably sitting in this arrangement. 3 easily at the table alone.
  • This rear bench seat can make up for the rear 1/2 of the bed and can just hinge from the front and fold over to the bench.
  • A table (shown in green) can make up the other 1/2. For the best design, I'd allow this table to be erected at the front of the cab. This will be out of the way, but will of course block your pass through which kinda sucks, but the table obviously gets packed away while in transit when you'll need the passthrough the most. You could attempt to make a full counter and 2 bench seats on one side of rig such as master camper Glen Horn has done here.
    GH_sp3.jpg
    The problem I see with this design is that he wheelwells will interfere with where your feet would normally rest, but you can always make higher benches I suppose.
  • For a mattress, I would suggest a light weight futon or one-piece that easily "folds". I say fold, because multi-cushion beds suck. The futon can ride up on the wall or window making for a great couch when not used as a bed! I used such a design in a V8 dodge camper and it worked great. Sorry no pics.

Here's a pic of a camper shell that has something what I am describing. Just missing the rear bench that the larger Chinook could easily accommodate.

IMG_6368.jpg

So just a little somethin to get the creative juices flowin. If you really want the best 4x4 camper, the Chinook or other pop-up camper will far outperform a standup one. There are sacrafices with each one however. Whatever you do, decide now what you really want before investing a ton of time. Tho I'm on my 5th homebuilt camper right now and I wouldn't be where I was had I not experienced the shortcomings of the other 4. So there's a lot to be said with just finding what works for you by experimenting.

Thanks for the input Baja. Just got back from the morning dog walk, where I solve all my problems, & was thinkinking something similar.

My Chinook is not the pop-up style. I tried uploading a pic the other day with no luck (any suggestions), but if you go to 'Manufacturers' on the home page, theres a picture of it under 'Chinook, 78'. I'll try putting the pic in on my profile.

If I can't unload it and make a couple hundred bucks, here is what I was thinking. Cut it along the "belly", reuse the fiberglass and add some more to make verticle lower walls. Figure this will add some needed storage space. As far as the interior,something along the lines of what you were talking. Was thinking about mounting a metal futon frame along 1 wall for easy fold up. I am definetly open to suggestions. I don't plan on doing any real 4x4ing, just want the extra clearance and traction in snow.

Even if this isn't the perfect template to start, it will serve as great practice. Have I mentioned that I have no experience what-so-ever in fiberglass work!

Ah, I see the pic on the main portal now.

This one right?

00360108904.jpg

Looks like there is a sideslinger door on that in the rear? Pretty spaceage looking thing! :) I had figured you had a rear door.

That camper is a little odd looking. It has the overhead that is going to suffer in the wind and yet it seems too small to be used as a sleeping area.

Does the camper have dual rims in the rear? Can't make out by the pic. The tapered walls would seem to work well with a single rear wheel setup. With my rader, Yostmx, and Monty's, the rear wheels look a little odd so far in with the straight walls. And if you went with straight walls, what about that door?

Dunno. I think you should really figure out whether to keep this or not. I think you would be better in a pop-up Chinook or a rader. This seems to be something in between but without the best advantages of either. Popups being low wind resistance to the cab. And full cabovers being able to have a bed.

It has potential tho. And that door is pretty wild! You might look into putting cabinets on both sides of the bed in a manner in which you can add additional bed so you can sleep longways rather than across.

Have I mentioned that I have no experience what-so-ever in fiberglass work!
It's not too difficult. I could write up a small guide on some of the little things I've picked up over the years. A few pointers might be all you need.

Yeah, thats the one alright. Kind of looks like Morks egg huh?

Your right, it definetly doesn't have the practicality of either the pop-up or the Rader. Problem with the pop-up's, at least for me, is insulation. I'll be using this in the winter and I'm guessing the pop-up section doesn't have much of an R value!

The door is in the rear. It's a dutch style door; 2 pieces. From the inside it looks like an emergency exit door of a plane. If I were to keep it and straighten the lower walls, would have to let the door section ride.

The rear axle is single wheel, with a pretty low weight rating, I want to say less than 2500lbs.

As far as interior layout I was thinking bench/bed along drivers side. Passenger side would be counter/table and stove(coleman 2 burner) location. Cabover would be storage and dog bed. Hopefully more storage under and at end of bed as well as underneath of other side.

It's currently for sale at a local Park-&-Sell joint as well as in Craigs list. If it sells and I can make a couple hundred for my drive time, great. If not, I've got myself a project! We'll see, leaving it up to the fate of sale.

I tried to attach a pic of the rear but, again, was unsuccessful. Site allows me to browse to my photos, I select one, click on 'attach this file' than attachments box just goes blank. Suggestions?

Ah, I see the pic on the main portal now.

This one right?

00360108904.jpg

Looks like there is a sideslinger door on that in the rear? Pretty spaceage looking thing! smile.gif I had figured you had a rear door.

That camper is a little odd looking. It has the overhead that is going to suffer in the wind and yet it seems too small to be used as a sleeping area.

Does the camper have dual rims in the rear? Can't make out by the pic. The tapered walls would seem to work well with a single rear wheel setup. With my rader, Yostmx, and Monty's, the rear wheels look a little odd so far in with the straight walls. And if you went with straight walls, what about that door?

Dunno. I think you should really figure out whether to keep this or not. I think you would be better in a pop-up Chinook or a rader. This seems to be something in between but without the best advantages of either. Popups being low wind resistance to the cab. And full cabovers being able to have a bed.

It has potential tho. And that door is pretty wild! You might look into putting cabinets on both sides of the bed in a manner in which you can add additional bed so you can sleep longways rather than across.

It's not too difficult. I could write up a small guide on some of the little things I've picked up over the years. A few pointers might be all you need.

Well, she's been for sale for going on 2 weeks now, without a single call, so it looks like I have a project on my hands! Actually, I can't wait to rip into her come Saturday morning. T minus 5 days and counting!

Still waiting to hear from the local junkyard about the '87 4x4 v6 I could transfer the 'camper' onto.

In the mean time, I've come across an '89 4x4 v6 which has been rolled. The price is right, its got less rust, nice wheels and tires, a cracked topper (source of fiberglass and a couple good windows) transfer case, tranny, etc., but a bent frame (so not a transfer candidate).

How hard would it be to transfer an '89 3vze engine and entire 4x4 running gear into/onto a '78 pickup chasis? Keep in mind the 'camper' is going to be removed either way so it would be just the cab and bare frame for the potential swap of engine and driveline.

As always, thanks for all the great advice. Once I start the project I'll start a new thread & keep you all posted.

post-3216-12554039981139_thumb.jpg

Yeah, thats the one alright. Kind of looks like Morks egg huh?

Your right, it definetly doesn't have the practicality of either the pop-up or the Rader. Problem with the pop-up's, at least for me, is insulation. I'll be using this in the winter and I'm guessing the pop-up section doesn't have much of an R value!

The door is in the rear. It's a dutch style door; 2 pieces. From the inside it looks like an emergency exit door of a plane. If I were to keep it and straighten the lower walls, would have to let the door section ride.

The rear axle is single wheel, with a pretty low weight rating, I want to say less than 2500lbs.

As far as interior layout I was thinking bench/bed along drivers side. Passenger side would be counter/table and stove(coleman 2 burner) location. Cabover would be storage and dog bed. Hopefully more storage under and at end of bed as well as underneath of other side.

It's currently for sale at a local Park-&-Sell joint as well as in Craigs list. If it sells and I can make a couple hundred for my drive time, great. If not, I've got myself a project! We'll see, leaving it up to the fate of sale.

I tried to attach a pic of the rear but, again, was unsuccessful. Site allows me to browse to my photos, I select one, click on 'attach this file' than attachments box just goes blank. Suggestions?