New Horizon

dougj

I just purchased a 1988 1 ton New Horizon Toy MH and have been in the process of fixing it up. It's got 38k on it, and looks like it's been stored outdoors its entire life. I just got done peeling off all of the cracked and faded labels (big job) with an eraser wheel on a drill, and now will be cleaning and resealing the fiberglass siding and cab. It did have a roof leak at one time (dry rot area in cabinet) but supposedly the roof was repaired (resealed). I will be checking this out this weekend while resealing the coach in preparation for the winter. My question is, is this a very popular coach, and do I need to look out for anything specific with this model? It has the 6 lug dually rear end with HD six lug front and a small tranny fluid cooler, so we're OK in these departments but I definitely have a project on my hands. I will post some pics if anyone is interested. Also, if anyone needs it, I'm pretty sure I have the owners manual I can make copies from. ;)

On 2009-09-24 at 5:52 PM, dougj said:

I just purchased a 1988 1 ton New Horizon Toy MH and have been in the process of fixing it up. It's got 38k on it, and looks like it's been stored outdoors its entire life. I just got done peeling off all of the cracked and faded labels (big job) with an eraser wheel on a drill, and now will be cleaning and resealing the fiberglass siding and cab. It did have a roof leak at one time (dry rot area in cabinet) but supposedly the roof was repaired (resealed). I will be checking this out this weekend while resealing the coach in preparation for the winter. My question is, is this a very popular coach, and do I need to look out for anything specific with this model? It has the 6 lug dually rear end with HD six lug front and a small tranny fluid cooler, so we're OK in these departments but I definitely have a project on my hands. I will post some pics if anyone is interested. Also, if anyone needs it, I'm pretty sure I have the owners manual I can make copies from. ;)

I have an 87 New Horizon (Nova Star) and love it. When I bought mine it was a place for the owner of an apartment building to stay when he came up from Mass. to check out his apartment or do repairs and it was some dirty inside and out but it only had 28K on it. I had to replace everything that was plastic on the roof due to sunlight damage and over the 3 years I have owned it I have resealed everything on the top from the vents to the the A/C. Mine is all fiberglass and I would assume yours is too. The exterior was covered with black stains I went to the local boat shop and bought a cleaner for fiberglass boats that said it would remove even blood stains (I had to assume they meant fish blood). Well it did remove all the stains. They seem to be fairly rare you don't see many. I think they were expensive new. I would very much like a copy of your manual. I can't believe there is too much that changed between 87 and 88. I have had no problems other then normal wear and tear and as far as the truck they are all pretty much the same and they are mostly trouble free. You should have no real problems for the next 60,000 miles.

Hey Doug,

Welcome to the Family!!!!!! Pictures are totally cool! We'd really enjoy updates as you fix up your new toy.

Keep us posted!

Shanda

I too could use the owners manual. I'm not sure how you would get it to me. Can it be sent to this site? Thanks, if it's not too much trouble. I also have a !988 Horizon which I purchased about 2 months ago. I let a friends brother take (a mechanic) it to go through it and haven't seen it for 5 weeks. I'm hoping to get it back tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I forgot to mention, photos would be great. My Horizon has 82K on it, way more miles than yours. At this point, I've had the tie rod ends replaced, the water pump, Power steering pump, belts, hoses, radiator recored, rear brakes done, tranny system flushed and the stock radiator cooler return line was plugged, so that was redone. Also the axles were repacked as well as all fluids and tune up stuff. The radiator had to be replaced as it ended up with a leak after the recore. Just so you know, it's been stressed on this site that the small tranny cooler is insufficient for these rigs. I'll be looking at installing an auxillary cooler in line with the existing cooler to increase my coolness capacity. I'll also have a transmission temp gauge installed when that happens. These transmissions are overworked and need some extra help. Check out some past posts on the issue. Mine too had a water leak which was repaired, and I also had damage in the kitchen cabinet area. I'm planning on resealing the roof soon with some roof tape and elastomeric paint. My stripes were also trashed. I ended up taping off the old stripes and spray painting over them, after cleaning with rubbing alcohol and light sanding, with good results so far, allthough I haven't had the rig very long. I guess we'll be doing similar work on sister coaches this weekend. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I'll do the same if I ever get my baby back. I'm starting to think the mechanic took it to Mexico for a vacation... I hope she's home tomorrow.

Steve

Edited by desertrat

Thanks for all the responses folks. I now have a good idea where to start and what to look for. I went through the service/sales records and found the original sales brochure which at first glance I thought was the manual. I will scan it at upload when time permits. I also have the documentation/manual for the Dometic fridge, furnace, AC, circuit breaker, etc. I need to do some roof repair (resealing) before the rains come, but after I will get this stuff converted to a pdf for whoever wants them. I did have a question regarding the lighted handle (Reflect-O-Lite by Luminaire series 50) to the left of the front door. The light cover is sun baked and missing the top half. I checked into replacing the whole unit with a Bargman lighted assist handle, but the Bargman is a little wider and a little shorter. The cutout for the original assembly is 4" wide by 8" tall while the Bargman is 4.75 wide by 7.75 tall. Has anyone tried to use the newer Bargman or have any ideas on how to make a light cover?

Edited by dougj

On 2009-09-29 at 2:39 PM, dougj said:

Thanks for all the responses folks. I now have a good idea where to start and what to look for. I went through the service/sales records and found the original sales brochure which at first glance I thought was the manual. I will scan it at upload when time permits. I also have the documentation/manual for the Dometic fridge, furnace, AC, circuit breaker, etc. I need to do some roof repair (resealing) before the rains come, but after I will get this stuff converted to a pdf for whoever wants them. I did have a question regarding the lighted handle (Reflect-O-Lite by Luminaire series 50) to the left of the front door. The light cover is sun baked and missing the top half. I checked into replacing the whole unit with a Bargman lighted assist handle, but the Bargman is a little wider and a little shorter. The cutout for the original assembly is 4" wide by 8" tall while the Bargman is 4.75 wide by 7.75 tall. Has anyone tried to use the newer Bargman or have any ideas on how to make a light cover?

There is a little wood frame behind it so it kinda limits a replacement. I think everyone has tried at some point to find lens or replacement with no luck. I made an aluminum plate and mounted a waterproof lamp to it. I really saw no need for a handle..

There is a little wood frame behind it so it kinda limits a replacement I think every one has tried at some point to find lens or replacement with no luck. I made an aluminum plate and mounted a water proof lamp to it I really saw no need for a handle.

Good idea. I may have to do this if I can't fit the Bargman. I found out the overall height of the Bargman is longer than the 8" cutout so I should be able to fit it in without leaks if I'm careful...

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love some of the documentation you have. I'll make it worth your while. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I have not forgotten the requests for the New Horizon documentation. I've been stuck in jury duty and working OT. I plan on scanning the docs real soon. I will try to get some pics of the rig up soon too. I just need to find some mirrors still. Thank you for all of your great suggestions on fixing my first MH, and thanks for the warm welcome!

I have not forgotten the requests for the New Horizon documentation. I've been stuck in jury duty and working OT. I plan on scanning the docs real soon. I will try to get some pics of the rig up soon too. I just need to find some mirrors still. Thank you for all of your great suggestions on fixing my first MH, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Sorry, it's a civic duty but.... Try NAPA for your mirrors they have both stainless and white painted.