Portable Generator Size

knewell

I need some help. I'm looking at buying a portable generator for my 1990 Dolphin V-6 and was curious to know what other people are using. I would like something big enough to power the Air Conditioner if possible. Does anybody know if the Honda 2000 is big enough for a typical rooftop AC setup? Please let me know what you're using and if it is large/small enough to meet your needs.

Your coach should already have a wired generator compartment for an Onan Microlite 2800.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/products/gasoline/compare?gensetId=119

This is the "normal" small RV generator.

What ever you get, make sure it is quiet. Nothing worse than generator noise in a quiet campground.

We have a Yamaha 1000, runs a skill saw rated at 1500 watts with no problem, I don't think is will run an AC. But a 2000 should.

We don't have AC prefer a fan and a shady spot.

The "stock" A/C is 13.500 btu, a 2000w generator will NOT run it. A 2500w will run it if the A/C is in good shape and has a hard start kit installed.

A 2000w generator WILL run a 9000 btu mini roof A/C.

You can not run anything else when running the generator these sizes and the roof A/C.

The "stock" A/C is 13.500 btu, a 2000w generator will NOT run it. A 2500w will run it if the A/C is in good shape and has a hard start kit installed.

A 2000w generator WILL run a 9000 btu mini roof A/C.

You can not run anything else when running the generator these sizes and the roof A/C.

I believe most toys come with a coleman mini mach 6727 it's 7100 btu.I have owned 4 toys and thats what they all came with.If it hasn't been changed out to a 13.500 btu a 2000 watt gen.will run it.On my last toy a 85 dolphin iy had a 2400 watt Yamaha gen on the rear bumper. and it ran it very well.I replaces the a/c with a coleman polar cub 9201 it's 9200 btu and it ran well with the ge. to.

Good luck....jj

I believe most toys come with a coleman mini mach 6727 it's 7100 btu.I have owned 4 toys and thats what they all came with.If it hasn't been changed out to a 13.500 btu a 2000 watt gen.will run it.On my last toy a 85 dolphin iy had a 2400 watt Yamaha gen on the rear bumper. and it ran it very well.I replaces the a/c with a coleman polar cub 9201 it's 9200 btu and it ran well with the ge. to.

Good luck....jj

Just checked my AC and it's a 13,500 btu model. As far as I know, that was stock for the Dolphin and Sea Breeze models for 1990. So like I said in the original post, I would really like to get a portable generator (NOT the built in ones, just in case I want to use it for other projects). So you guys think a 2500 watt gen will be able to power the AC but nothing else... Anyone tried it?

A 2500 "may" run an ac and nothing else. It also "may not" even run your AC alone unless you modify the AC unit first. You can always downsize the AC unit to a polar cub. Many people who use portable generators do this to cut down on the size and weight of the generator they need to drag around.

Portable generators are not designed to be run in an enclosed space so they need to be removed from the vehicle before they can be run safely. The only advantage to a portable is that they are very inexpensive. Some portable generators are so noisy that they are not allowed in campgrounds

An RV genset can be run while in motion, started at the flip of a switch from within the vehicle, and do not require any special setup before use (i.e removed, gassed up, plugged in, and started).

It is a trade off. Cost vs convenience.

A 2500 "may" run an ac and nothing else. It also "may not" even run your AC alone unless you modify the AC unit first. You can always downsize the AC unit to a polar cub. Many people who use portable generators do this to cut down on the size and weight of the generator they need to drag around.

Portable generators are not designed to be run in an enclosed space so they need to be removed from the vehicle before they can be run safely. The only advantage to a portable is that they are very inexpensive. Some portable generators are so noisy that they are not allowed in campgrounds

An RV genset can be run while in motion, started at the flip of a switch from within the vehicle, and do not require any special setup before use (i.e removed, gassed up, plugged in, and started).

It is a trade off. Cost vs convenience.

I had a Yamaha EF2400 (it's quite as a Honda and not as expensive) in a plastic type dark grey locking box,(that I bought at Lowes) on the rear bumper.The generator fit perfect.It is true you can't operate a portable generator in a fully enclosed box.I cut the whole side out for exhaust,a part of the bottom out for air intake,a part on the front for pull cord and switch.I used it like that for 3 years.You can still get it from www.wisesales.com for just under $1200.00 to your door.It only weighs 70 lbs.I wish it would have fit the generator compartment on myWarrior,it would be a lot quiter than this noisy Koler.

Good looking rig turtle!I'll bet yo have a Onan mirolite,my dream.

Good luck.....JJ

I purchased a new microlite 2800 a couple years ago for $2k delivered.

I also have a prosine 1.8 KW inverter installed. Does not run the AC off of battery but does everything else I need

Microlite 2800s regularly sell on eBay for under $1k used.

http://motors.comple....c0.m283&_rdc=1

I have a KIPOR which is nearly the same as the one I've linked ot. I believe you can find better prices. I paid abaout $900 a coupole of years ago. At any rate, it is very good. It is as quiet as a Honda and less money. I have a smaller a/c unit and it handles it beautifully. This on may very well run the larger a/c but I can't be certain. I would imagine if you went to a place that sells generators that they might let you try one at their site to see if it were sufficient. I sometimes attach mine to the rear on a small platform I fabricated, often in a heavy lockable box, or other times just wrap it in a big plastic bag and keep it just inside the door in back. Full of gas it is 'about' 65-70 lbs. so it does require some lifting. Mine has wheels and a handle to move it around on firm surfaces. I'm a Kipor fan! Check eBay and craigslist for deals. Might be good to assure there is a service facility nearby - just in case. Don't bother with those real cheap Chinese jobs. They are usually quite loud and you do get what you pay for. Proper maintenance is KEY to any of them however.

BTW - Kipor is the #2 selling generator in Europe...... as I understand it.

Good luck.

http://www.novatechgadgets.com/kisikgqu26wa.html