space heater

noreegalaba

hey everybody!!!

as the weather start to get colder, i was interested in getting a space heater for inside the toy.

i have used the propane some, but the fan seems to really drain the house battery quickly. i have a 2800 gen but it is so damn loud.

i am rarely hooked up to elec as i boondock mostly. should i get a propane or kerosene space heater???? or just an elec and run the gen.???? any suggestions.....???? this is my first year with my toy.....

post-2741-12534968672433_thumb.jpg

hey everybody!!!

as the weather start to get colder, i was interested in getting a space heater for inside the toy.

i have used the propane some, but the fan seems to really drain the house battery quickly. i have a 2800 gen but it is so damn loud.

i am rarely hooked up to elec as i boondock mostly. should i get a propane or kerosene space heater???? or just an elec and run the gen.???? any suggestions.....???? this is my first year with my toy.....

Hi--it is hard to beat the Olympian catalytic heaters. We have a 3000btu unit installed under the dinette table in our Toy and it really does the job. It was an easy installation taking propane off the LP line to the frig. These heaters do not use the battery and there is no flame. Have to remember to crack open a window as they do use oxygen from within the house. Hope this helps.

hey everybody!!!

should i get a propane or kerosene space heater???? or just an elec and run the gen.???? any suggestions.....???? this is my first year with my toy.....

We have had a blue flame chimneyless fire place in our bus for 10 years now (fultimers) we took out the catalitic heater because it is not a space heater, but radiates the heat onto any surface in line of sight, which then warms the space. We took our first blueflame out and put it in our studio workshop and put the newer one (with thermostat) into the bus. Our Toyota came with a "mr buddy" heater which I took out. We never run any heater after beddy byes even when we used to camp and snow ski. Of course you must make provision for air. In our bus I piped in an air supply to the back of the heater, which makes me feel better. Most heaters now have O2 sensors which will shut them down before you croak. Get a top quality propane sniffer and install it near the floor.

Hope this helps.

nibs:

pics please. Gotta check this out.

Here is a source, with pics,

http://www.nextag.com/blue-flame-heater/shop-html

the smallest one will roast you in quick order, the one in our 35' bus is 10,000BTU, measures about 12" wide, 18" tall and sticks into the room about 6.5". Personally I would not put one (or any supplemental heater) into my Toyota. I took one out after we bought it.

On a really cold morning, we light the oven with the door open, I am sure some will scream "its not safe to do that", but if you think about it, you would cook a roast in the oven, why not use it for 1/2 hr to heat the space. Remember you must have a source of fresh air, and a propane sniffer/alarm is a good idea. We always turn off all heaters before we bed down. Hope this helps, Tony.

Another option that may work for you is a 12-volt electric blanket.

If you sleep in the over cab bed, you can install heavy curtains to help

kept the heat in the cab area and use the electric blanket. Looks like

they draw about 4 amps. The one from sportsmansguide is $30 and even comes

with its own battery back, but can still plug into any 12-volt outlet.

There are several types for sale in the $25 to $30 range, here are a couple:

Overstock dot com

http://www.overstock.com/Auto-Parts/Car-Cozy-2-12-volt-Heated-Blanket-and-Timer/3298292/product.html

truckntow dot com

http://www.truckntow.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=11534

sportsmansguide dot com

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=331867