I am towing a 1986 toyota escaper from NC to TX

haze

So I am towing a 1986 toyota escaper from Greensboro NC to Austin TX within the next couple of weeks. What i need to find out is:

A) How much does the 86 escaper weigh empty(that includes no generator or ac)

B) Any and all advice on the best method to haul this little beastie.

The tranny went out a few months back and i have finally found someone who is kind enough to give me a lift with his 3/4 ton diesel flatbed but i am not to sure how to move it. I have searched just about everywhere online to find this things weight with no luck. From what i read here I am assuming the thing weighs around 5500 lbs. is this correct. Dollies and tow bars are both weight rated to around 5000 pounds and trailers rated beyond 5000 lbs. are are out of the question when it comes to renting. what would be the best way to move this thing? Any advice?

Fitting a tow bar to it is going to be problematic the bumper will never hold it. I think you are pretty close with 5500# I would think a duel axle trailer with the weight rating to go along with it would be the best bet some thing that size would most likely have electric brakes.

thanx that helps! am i correct in thinking that i would only need a trailer long enough to fit my front and back axles on? what is that legnth? I know over all the length of the thing is 21 feet but you know i never measured from axle to axle. Any ideas on what it would cost to rent a dual axle trailer? what about dollies i belive that those don't connect to the bumber. Right? but i haven't found any rated over 5000 lbs yet. the guy giving me a ride said he would prefer a gooseneck trailer if i could find one what would be the difference between that and a regular hitch type past cost of course? his hitch is rated to 10,000 lbs. ......man it's good to have other escaper peeps out there i've been feeling like a beta video cassette lately !

Edited by haze

thanx that helps! am i correct in thinking that i would only need a trailer long enough to fit my front and back axles on? what is that legnth? I know over all the length of the thing is 21 feet but you know i never measured from axle to axle. Any ideas on what it would cost to rent a dual axle trailer? what about dollies i belive that those don't connect to the bumber. Right? but i haven't found any rated over 5000 lbs yet. the guy giving me a ride said he would prefer a gooseneck trailer if i could find one what would be the difference between that and a regular hitch type past cost of course? his hitch is rated to 10,000 lbs. ......man it's good to have other escaper peeps out there i've been feeling like a beta video cassette lately !

About the only way your are going get the MH on is front way around so you are probably going to have a fair amount of over hang. I just measured mine it's 136" wheel base so your looking at 11'6" most heavy trailers are more then long enough. I don't think I would like to haul one with dollies it would be a hand full and you run the risk of dragging the back end on bumps. Also you would have no breaks on the towed MH. Does his truck have a 5th wheel hitch? Usually the 5th wheel hitch will be good for 17,000# or more. Got a excavator guy in town maybe he will rent one of his trailers.

I am going to tow my 83/4 Sunrader south this year. I will tow it 4 wheels down, using an A frame. To connect the A frame to the Toyota, I simply took off the towing eyes and made an < iron bracket that bolts up to the weld nuts that the towing eyes used. Then I hook the A frame to the newly made brackets. It did not take long to make the mods, no welding required. I am towing with a 35' bus so the weight is not a problem, nor do I need extra braking, since the Toyota at 5,000 +/- weighs less than a full load of people for the bus. My Toyota is a standard, so all we need to do for the trip is put the tranny in neutral and advance the ignition key to a position where the steering is unlocked. A friend towed his 21'er for a couple of years behind his bus, his was an automatic, so he got really good at disconnecting the driveshaft. You can rent a tow dolly and put the front wheels on it, they have brakes and lights, the hooked up unit will be very difficult but not impossible to reverse, so you will have to plan your stops. ..........Tony

@ haze:

How much would it be to just fix the transmission where the vehicle is located? Or bring a tranny of your own and swap etc. Seems a lot of trouble for a car that wasn't in an accident or sustained some other serious damage that would warrant a tow.

@ nibs:

Did I read that right? You're going to be traveling in a 35' motorhome and towing your Sunrader? I for one am very interested to hear what you'll be using this setup for?

@ nibs:

Did I read that right? You're going to be traveling in a 35' motorhome and towing your Sunrader? I for one am very interested to hear what you'll be using this setup for?

You Got it Baja, we will tow our 18' Sunrader. We live full time in our 1967 MCI bus conversion, and we use the Sunrader for shorter trips, (tho we spent 6 mos touring Mexico in the Sunrader last winter). We need to have a smaller vehicle for use at campsites for going to town etc., our car (Mercedes diesel) is not towable without some mods. The Sunrader will serve as a car, and allow us to take camping trips to places the Bus doesn't like, as well it gives us a spare bedroom for visitors if needed.