Engine swaps

futar

I once met someone in a Toyhome traveling through this area that replaced the 3 liter with the 3.4 liter. He maintained a fleet of one ton Toyota trucks and had a great knowledge of them. Anyway, he said it drove much better with the 3.4 liter. Anyone done this? I'm curious what the gas mileage is.

I also would like to know what the performance and gas mileage is with the GM 4.3 liter V6 swap. Any one have one of these swaps?

I once met someone in a Toyhome traveling through this area that replaced the 3 liter with the 3.4 liter. He maintained a fleet of one ton Toyota trucks and had a great knowledge of them. Anyway, he said it drove much better with the 3.4 liter. Anyone done this? I'm curious what the gas mileage is.

I also would like to know what the performance and gas mileage is with the GM 4.3 liter V6 swap. Any one have one of these swaps?

Hello Futar: I purchased my ToyHome this past July to see if I enjoy single life on the road. I have only taken short trips with it to date, repairing, maintaining, and modifying it slightly to carry my Cannondale Mountain Bike inside. My initial assessment is that these ToyHomes are too small for a serious nomadic life. Too little storage space for long term living. I have too much baggage which I need to carry, which also includes tools for those occasional mechanical repairs while on the road.

So if I were to think about spending additional dollars it certainly would not be for an expensive engine swap. I would sell my Old 87 Conquest ToyHome and look to upgrade to a Class A Motorhome such as at an Airstream or Fleetwood Bounder Turbo Diesel to purchase. Yes, they are more expensive, and Yes, they are safer. Safer always wins out with me.

These ToyHomes are great recreation vehicles, with many limitations. Fuel prices being most people's concerns these days, a used Class A Motorhome can currently be purchased for well below book. You seem to enjoy traveling in yours, picture yourself driving a Class A unit. Living out of a Class A unit. Then make your choice.

I had a class A. I will never ever,ever,ever get one again. Servicing the engine is a nightmare. The gas mileage is terrible. Don't make same the mistake I made.

I notice that there are a bunch of new medium size motor homes with truck fronts and diesels. They used to be called chassis mounts.

The problem is poor layouts. The Europeans have it all over us in efficient use of space.

One thing I would get rid of is the couch. Like who needs sleeping for six in a small motor home. Can you imagine just two barrel chairs and a table with no dinette and couch. Think of all the storage room that would add. Adding a nice big two door fridge would not take away much room. Increasing propane capacity would help. I would love to design and build a small one from scratch.

I would add the Cummings 3.8 liter diesel and a six speed manual transmission. I would install a marine 12 volt air conditioner plumbed in to ducting. No generator but two size 29 deep cycle batteries to run the air when camping and a 2,000 watt inverter for a good sized microwave. I better stop there.

Hello Futar: I purchased my ToyHome this past July to see if I enjoy single life on the road. I have only taken short trips with it to date, repairing, maintaining, and modifying it slightly to carry my Cannondale Mountain Bike inside. My initial assessment is that these ToyHomes are too small for a serious nomadic life. Too little storage space for long term living. I have too much baggage which I need to carry, which also includes tools for those occasional mechanical repairs while on the road.

So if I were to think about spending additional dollars it certainly would not be for an expensive engine swap. I would sell my Old 87 Conquest ToyHome and look to upgrade to a Class A Motorhome such as at an Airstream or Fleetwood Bounder Turbo Diesel to purchase. Yes, they are more expensive, and Yes, they are safer. Safer always wins out with me.

These ToyHomes are great recreation vehicles, with many limitations. Fuel prices being most people's concerns these days, a used Class A Motorhome can currently be purchased for well below book. You seem to enjoy traveling in yours, picture yourself driving a Class A unit. Living out of a Class A unit. Then make your choice.

I had a class A. I will never ever,ever,ever get one again. Servicing the engine is a nightmare. The gas mileage is terrible. Don't make same the mistake I made.

I notice that there are a bunch of new medium size motor homes with truck fronts and diesels. They used to be called chassis mounts.

The problem is poor layouts. The Europeans have it all over us in efficient use of space.

One thing I would get rid of is the couch. Like who needs sleeping for six in a small motor home. Can you imagine just two barrel chairs and a table with no dinette and couch. Think of all the storage room that would add. Adding a nice big two door fridge would not take away much room. Increasing propane capacity would help. I would love to design and build a small one from scratch.

I would add the Cummings 3.8 liter diesel and a six speed manual transmission. I would install a marine 12 volt air conditioner plumbed in to ducting. No generator but two size 29 deep cycle batteries to run the air when camping and a 2,000 watt inverter for a good sized microwave. I better stop there.

Have you considered a fifth wheel trailer? You could gut it, then install the amenities you desire. Yes, your own floor plan incorporating all of your great ideas.

I met a gentleman camper 2 weeks past who just purchased a 1995 GMC one ton truck from U-Haul for an unbelievably low price. He removed the box and installed a fifth wheel to pull his trailer. He also installed a single sleeper behind the cab, built in toolboxes, etc. He is quite pleased with this setup. His prior tow truck was a crew cab, on which he logged 350,000 miles, still has it, but no longer desires to take long trips with it. His next project is to take his Peterbuilt road tractor with a double sleeper, remove the sleeper and retrofit an over the road bus coach body, such as Greyhound, which was damaged in the front. directly onto his truck chassis. Nice thing about a fifth wheel trailer is that it is easily coupled with only one person. The tow vehicle can be detached on extended camping stays for touring the area, without securing all loose object in the coach. The engine is easily accessible on the GMC tow truck. His came with West Coast swing away towing mirrors.