To Buy or Not To Buy

hxnksl

I have a quick query for anyone who may have more knowledge or expereince with RVs (which is none:) than I.

Here it is - I know someone who is selling a 1987 Toyota Dolphin (I forget exact model.) The unit is in fantastic overall shape and obviously has been taken well care of. All of the amenities work well and the original engine has only 65,000 miles. A truely picture perfect representation of the model.

Here's the catch - the transmission is shot and would need to be replaced.

As the person selling is in a financial bind, he is trying to sell this unit for $1,000 today, as is, where is. Pink slip is in hand. He cannot afford the repair.

I would like a solid unit for my day-to-day use. I don't imagine that I will find much time to travel great distances anytime soon but since I am a chef and some of my days are very long - a nice place to take a mid-day nap would be a dream come true (the simplest things make me happy.) I cannot afford thousands of dollars investment

Knowing all of this - do I make the purchase or not?????

Thanks for your advice.

Please feel free to send me PMs to RANWALKER69(AT)YAHOO(DOT)COM

Hello Ran: Not knowing your market area, it is difficult to give you an estimate on the value of your anticipated purchase of this ToyHome. You need to obtain the model, length, floor plan which would include rear bath or rear dinette. Extra options, such as outside awning, roof mounted AC, CD player, etc. You also need to know who the coach builder was / is. There are many, many threads at this site which can help you with identifying information about automatic transmission repairs. Then you can get approximate value from NADAguides.com here is a link to motorhome page http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?l=1&w=25&p=38&f=5693&gc=rv&any=0&gtc=MH

As to the Toyota transmission repair costs, are you capable of removing the transmission, and taking it to a reputable repair shop for complete rebuild? It may not need to be completely rebuilt, but as an unknown you have to consider worst case scenario when thinking of purchasing this vehicle. These heavy ToyHome driven in overdrive are a weak link to these wonderful ToyTrucks.

Case in point: I own my late wife's 86 Chevy Blazer S10 4X4. I keep it for sentimental reasons. Last year the transmission failed. I removed and after it was rebuilt, reinstalled said transmission. My outlay in cash was $1000 which included the rebuild, line cleaner, transmission fluid, etc. I could not locate anyone who desired to remove said trans. for a reasonable price. Toyota 2 wheel drive transmissions are a piece of cake compared to that tight S10 with 4X4. I am comparing this recent work to my Blazer to that of a Toyota Pickup which I did 13 years ago in which I exchanged a 86 Toyota PickUp 4X4 Auto Transmission. With so many Toyota trucks being converted to $4500 potential trade in value with our governments involvement, you might be able to locate a used transmission for a reasonable price, from a truck not a RV motorhome. Any Toyota RV Auto Transmission will have more wear than an empty Pickup Truck. But, buyer beware! Same amount of work to install a defective transmission as a rebuilt one.

If you are not mechanically inclined, then you also have to pay for the labor, plus the towing fee to the repair shop. So you are looking at $1000 + tax, +title, +tags, +insurance, + inspection, +towing,+labor for R&R, +rebuild, +fluids, +incidentals. Certainly adds up to thousands of dollars. Possibly if the coach is as well preserved as you mentioned in your post then you could purchase this ToyHome and have it towed to you restaurant, park it outside (if legal to do so) and use it for your siestas until you can afford to repair it properly. Think of it as an RV Trailer until it is back on the road under its own power. Yes it wants to be a respectable Class C MotorHome once again.

But, please do yourself a favor and get accustomed to using this site for the wealth of material which it already contains from years of accumulated knowledge. You have to understand that replies to your post could be slow in coming. Whereas you could be studying from past discussions today.

I'd have to agree with michaelz assessment that this is a good time for used trannies.

I've seen some unbelievable cars in the junkyards these days thnx to the cash for clunkers program. Some of these trucks look way too nice to be in the yard! It's really quite shocking. Anywho, as part of the program, the dealers (or somebody) is required to run these things into the ground by burning up the motors with what amounts to silica in the engine. The transmissions tho aren't effected by this! NOW, would be a great time to find a used tranny as the junkyards are crawling with cars that are in primo condition. I've dropped used trannies before with great success or just dumb luck I suppose. If not a "clunker", then look for a car that's been in some kind of accident. That's usually a sign that it was running.

Gluck with your mhome. Anything under $1500 that is legal and not a total wreck would seem like a decent deal.

I would say go for it that's a good price provided it has the one ton rear, with a 5 lug rear and a bad trans it's not worth much. Any good independent (stay away from the franchised shops) should be able to help you out. You might try the web for some rebuilt units and get some one to put it in locally.