Lund Bug Shield / Deflector

gmichaelz

post-2937-12520499828521_thumb.jpeg

I have had a Lund Bug Shield installed for many years on my 4X4 Toyota Pick Up w/camper cap. As I look at my overhang on 87 Gulfstream Conquest Toyhome, I envision the aerodynamic benefits which may be derived from installing a hood mounted air deflector commonly called bug shields. However, I don't recall seeing any ToyHome photos where the vehicle had a bug shield installed.

I am of the opinion that my ToyHome miles per gallon should increase slightly by installing a "Lund Bug Shield." Has any member had any experience with this topic?

http://deflectors4less.com/lu18009-pickup.html

No idea about, but the bug deflectors are design to flip the bugs over the roof. With a RV it means it flips the bugs right into the cab over. Probably about the same for air flow.

I put a bug deflector on the diesel and it caused it to slow down... I took it off and it went faster.... I don't think it did anything for the fuel economy.

I put a bug deflector on the diesel and it caused it to slow down... I took it off and it went faster.... I don't think it did anything for the fuel economy.

Thank you both: Turtle and WME for your responses. I don't want to slow down further. Turtle your response has caught me completely by surprise.

My pickup has a V6, 5 spd so I don't notice the performance drop, but the motorhome has a 4 cyl, auto w/overdrive and considerably more weight. I was hoping that the wind turbulence would be redirected over the bunk area rather than hitting the windshield and the lowest portion of bunk area square on, acting as a parachute.

In a past life, I designed and build wind turbines (small ones) and propellors for light aircraft, the knowledge I gained from this exercise leads me to believe that the only way to improve the aerodynamics of these little darlins is to put them through a car crusher.

I just read of a product which goes on the side of the body just at the rear which on a big class A is supposed to increase mileage from 11.5 to 12 +/-. The writer also claims that using the product cuts the wind interference from passing semis. WWW airtab.com The should be placed 4" apart and cost $2.75 each, they glue on.

post-2937-1252125285093_thumb.jpg

I just read of a product which goes on the side of the body just at the rear which on a big class A is supposed to increase mileage from 11.5 to 12 +/-. The writer also claims that using the product cuts the wind interference from passing semis. WWW airtab.com The should be placed 4" apart and cost $2.75 each, they glue on.

Thank you nibs, interesting reading. Smooth sided ToyHomes appear to be prime candidates for this technology. Mine is corrugated fiberglass which would require a smooth surface to be installed prior to the AirTabs. In one photo with this modification to the mounting base, it appears as though the company may sell this apron with the turbulence devices molded onto the board. Have you spoken to anyone with these devices installed? Appears as the roof should also be included. Many professional driver testimonials attesting to the improved stability, less dirt or snow build up on rear of unit, increased MPG, and longer tire thread wear due to improved stability.

http://www.airtab.com/en/Product_Applications_24/RV_Applications_29.html

What are your feelings about this product? Have you considered installing them onto your ToyHome? Would a row of these devices installed somewhere on the front bunk area / cabover just before the horizontal run of the roof offer any additional benefits? Thanks again for your informative thread about the aerodynamics or lack of in these ToyHomes. post-2937-1252124926231_thumb.jpgpost-2937-12521250286006_thumb.jpg