desertrat

What's your rig and where's it at?

1991 Leisure Odyssey Americana 

Waukesha, WI, 53186

We are total Newbies to RVs (bought the Americana 2 days ago, our first RV) and we are looking forward to learning as we update the rig and hit the road.

Scott and Beth

IMG_6088 (1).jpg

Just got our 1987 Dolphin. Great shape. 87k miles. $4,900 

Took it out with our family for its first 110 mile journey. Averaged 13.7 mpg. 

20190614_081449_HDR.jpg

20190613_181841.jpg

1 hour ago, maxpow99 said:

Just got our 1987 Dolphin. Great shape. 87k miles. $4,900 

Took it out with our family for its first 110 mile journey. Averaged 13.7 mpg. 

20190614_081449_HDR.jpg

20190613_181841.jpg

Looks very nice!

I haven't posted here in a while, but felt like an update was in order. I am still/again in my '84 4X4 Sunrader and she's running great. Just brought me all the way from the west TX desert to Idaho. I'm wondering if she may have the most miles of any 4X4 Sunrader on the road, more than 208k now. Anyone know of one with more?

sunnysunrise.jpg

On 6/16/2019 at 9:19 PM, 86ConquestChris said:

Looks very nice!

Did a $75 spray paint job and it came out great.

IMG_20190628_101453_242.jpg

IMG_20190628_101453_246.jpg

we have a 1988 sun-land express been trying to get one of these toy campers for past 3 years, finally got this one from original owner, 39k miles  22r engine , auto/overdrive... every piece of paperwork and documentation with it.. and everything they ever had done since they owned it with it.. so if you need sunland manual i would be willing to make you a pdf copy.. matter of fact i'll try and do that this weekend post it up here

the sunland express's don't seem to be in numbers that many others are but im sure someone out there might like a manual for one

so far we love it! everything i thought it would and would not be.. it has not disappointed!

1 hour ago, jeff thomas said:

... someone out there might like a manual for one.

People are always looking. Having a copy on the Forum will be very nice.

New owners of '91 Spirit, SLC UT. About to head out to Oregon for first long trip.

20190910_082536.jpg

Newbie Here. Just bought my 91 Toyota Itasca Spirit with 49K. Stoked. I need the school year to end already so I can get on the road. In the meantime its weekend trips. I'm wondering how people winterize when they also use the rig during the winter? Just bring water bottles?

Thanks, excited to get going on this group.

Matt

Salem, OR

IMG_20190914_063832 copy.jpg

Edited by Thirsty Spirit

Depends on temp and duration.

If the low temp is above freezing, make sure you have propane and the heater works. Then just go for it.

0 to freezing winterize the rig and use bottled water, mix up a 1/3 antifreeze 2/3 water and use it to flush the toilet.

Below 0 be in a camp ground with shore power and use a small electric heater to save propane. 50/50 antifreeze for flushing.

Below -20 stay home😂

Thanks WME. I have a couple more questions about winterizing. I have drained the system of water. I've watched a couple videos and looks like the antifreeze gets put in the city water hook up and not into the big water tank. Is that correct? Also, I don't have bypass for my waterheater so I guess I've got to fill up my water heater with antifreeze? 

Thanks so much for any information.

It takes a few parts to do it right. These will save you a bunch of time and money in the future.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Pump-Converter-Winterizing-Kit-36543/205808441    You cant just pour antifreeze in the city water hook up. This will let the water pump suck the antifreeze direct from the jug.

This is for the water heater. It will save you about $20 each year if you don't pump 6 gallons of antifreeze in the heater, it will also make the water taste better next year.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Quick-Turn-RV-Permanent-By-Pass-Kit-35983/205808443