What's your rig and where's it at?

desertrat

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wanted one, so I finally built one!

OMG your rig has been posted on a number of Toyota motorhome sites already. What a fabulous job you did. A work of art. Just wondering though. How much does it weigh. Weight issues are a very common topic around here.

Linda S

Thanks for the compliment. If you google "Toyota ski chalet" you can get a mini "cyber tour" of the inside on theshelterblog.com. The total weight "dry" is 4200 lbs. Without any suspension upgrades, the axle was about an inch away from the rubber bumpers. I went ahead and put some Timbrens in back to eliminate some of the sag. One day, I'll probably put duallies in back, but for now... It is what it is.

Thanks for the compliment. If you google "Toyota ski chalet" you can get a mini "cyber tour" of the inside on theshelterblog.com. The total weight "dry" is 4200 lbs. Without any suspension upgrades, the axle was about an inch away from the rubber bumpers. I went ahead and put some Timbrens in back to eliminate some of the sag. One day, I'll probably put duallies in back, but for now... It is what it is.

I would love it if you would start a separate thread maybe Toyota ski chalet so people who want to discuss your rig or ask questions won't get lost in this very long where are you thread. Yours deserves it's own separate thread.

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1987 Toyota Sunrader. It's currently hanging out in Carrboro, NC, but my girlfriend and I are planning a trip cross-country with it beginning this March.

ZAUx77W.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a 1986 Sunrader in Washington and brought to back to British Columbia. Just love it. Am I the process of completely gutting it and rebuilding it. Always love a good project.

post-8054-0-13140300-1422072443_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

New here, just purchased a 1985 Dolphin 21 ft 4cyl R22 fuel injected motor. It does have the axle up grade. Currently it's sitting in southern Illinois and I hope to bring it home next month.

The owner invested in a tankless water heater and started to fix it up but didn't have the time to do anything with it. So I will be probably be asking alot of questions here. I know that the first thing will be tires, tune up and transmission service. I'll post pictures soon.

• 3 weeks later...

1987 Itasca, 22RE. Haven't even taken her out yet! I pick it up in a week. Anxious, excited.

BTW: Can anyone tell me the dimensions of those tiny, uncomfortable dinettes as in the Itsaca and Dolphin? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Kolie711,

You're have to get it tipped back up on to its wheels, first!

John

You're right about that! I am just too excited! ....one step at a time....!

Nice! You had your rig with you? Thinking of getting my membership, at least for overnight stays.

Seattle. Lunch at the beach at the Elks club yesterday! Minus 1.5 tide.

attachicon.giflow tide xs.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm east of Stockton, California in the sierra mountain foothills. I have a 1985 4x4 Sunrader, 22re, a/c in cab & on the roof, factory generator that I took out I just carry a Honda eu1000 in a compartment I made where the factory generator was, 240 watts of solar & 1,500 watt power inverter, ARB 63qt freezer/fridge because the fridge didn't work then I can use the ARB when I'm 4-wheeling in other 4x4's I have, 4.70 Marlin gears in the transfer case, 4.56 ring&pinion

Still need to put on the front range full floater kit with disc brakes, build my front bumper and install winch, build swing away tire & High-lift jack rack and fiberglass the front windows in...

I always wanted to build a four-wheel-drive chinook and then I found out about the Sunrader's so I was going to buy a 2-Wheel drive Sunrader and turn it into a 4-wheel-drive because I never thought I'd see one let alone see one for sale. So I looked at three or four and passed on them and then I ran across this one a little over a year ago and I love it it's better then I could ever hoped for....

post-8273-0-31741700-1433139810_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this 78' Mini Mirage. It blew the front crank seal 35 miles into the trip home. Put in a new seal the next day on roadside with borrowed tools and made it the rest of the way. I'm in Bozeman, MT.

post-8312-0-91040900-1435145166_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Bought our 1994 Winnebago Warrior with 30K miles on it and drove from Seattle to Anchorage in May 2015 (~2400 miles). No issues whatsoever, it just kept cruising. Our mpg ranged from 14mpg to 18mpg. Very happy to be a Toyota minimotorhome owner. We are frequently approached by folks who say they are either looking for one or would love to own one. Toyota minimotorhomes rock!

It seems as though everyone wants to talk to you when you are at a gas station with a Toy RV. My daughters said that it adds 10 minutes to every gas stop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1991 Sunrader V6 21' Olympia WA. Currently it is in my driveway as I figure out the insurance black hole of "replacement value". Hopefully this weekend I will take her on her first trip with me and my dogs!!!! This is my first RV! I have been carting my dogs around in a '79 VW bus - pretty sweet day ride for the hairy pals - though the lack of heat makes this ride a bit unpleasant - at least for me - in the winter. We upgraded to a Sunrader so we can go overnight, have heat, and not have to all sleep smashed together in the back. Being new to the RV and Sunrader world, I am hoping to lean on all of you with your years of experience and wisdom. I guess first question - anyone know where I can get the original jack-knife couch hinges?? Someone took them off, and I would like to use it as a bed.

Thanks!

Edited by Hoonah

Just picked up a 1985 Dolphin! The previous owner had it for 18 years and it was very well taken care of. I just had the thermostat replaced due to it running a bit warm as well as some plumbing redone to fix a small water leak. Other than that, it's a clean rig! We've already taken it on 2 trips, one over the mountains and the other to the coast. We're headed out again this weekend and climbing even higher on HWY 20 over to Winthrop!

Here's some shots of Kenny the Dolphin.

Seattle, WA

untitled 0710

untitled 0675

untitled 0507

untitled 0206

untitled 0304

untitled 0271

untitled 0231

untitled 0199

• 2 weeks later...

First post here.

I have a '85 Coachmen with the 22RE and 4 speed manual. About 55,000 miles.

We reside in NW Tennessee.

Anyone else from here from my area ?

Glad to see an online presence for these little motorhomes.

Terry

post-7741-0-99026400-1440283589_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1991 Winnebago Warrior in West Branch, Iowa (birthplace of Herbert Hoover!). Bought it in Iowa this past May. I have had a Toyota dealer do some repairs/maintence and an RV dealer replace the power center. I have been busy doing odds and ends: replaced water pump, fixed some plumbing, changed out interior lights with LEDs and replaced covers, etc. ect. It is a work in progress as would be expected for a 25 year-old camper.

We have camped a few times locally. We love our "Bago". It's perfect for the two of us. I was surprised how few on this forum were in the Midwest. That may explain why people come up to me and ask about it and want to see the inside. Parked in a campground amongst huge 5th wheels and class A buses we do stand out!

Really appreciate this site. Terrific resource. Thanks!

Dean K.post-8247-0-77853200-1442070765_thumb.jp

I am the proud owner of a 1980 Dolphin and we are located in Kennewick, WA.

I've owned it for about 8 years. I found out that even though it was first licensed in 1980, the cab was built in June 1978, which poses issues trying to find parts. About 3 years ago someone smashed the passenger window and it has taken me 3 years to find a replacement window. I finally found one from a 1977 Hilux in a wrecking yard close by and it is time to get this baby back on the road.

Everytime I take it out I get offers to buy it - no way!!

Next voyage scheduled for end of October!!

I see you have a tag axle there might be another whole unit for sale in Yakima. has been setting for years . I will check and see if they still have it a party I know I was told they want to get rid of it. I have 87 dolphin 4 cycl auto. in Yakima.

Thank you, I would love to get a look! My husband had stripped down the interior a couple years ago so we could do some updating. He passed away last year and his son came up from Arizona and got rid of everything. I'd like to at least try to replace the table and chairs.

There's a leak in the cabover which I've noticed seems to be a bit of a known issue. It has a few minor problems, but I think it's worth keeping. We've determined that there are actually only 48,600 miles on it.

• 2 weeks later...