What's your rig and where's it at?

desertrat

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New member here, awesome site, had no idea how much is here until registering…

We have wanted a Toyota based Motorhome for a longtime and when a one-owner ‘91 Sunrader, rear bath came available nearby, (north of Seattle) we pounced on it.

Has only been an adventure in the driveway so far, starting at the front and working my way back through the truck parts before getting into the house equipment. Am doing all the work myself, trying to be as efficient as possible, but thorough. I am into it over a month now, and tackling the leaf spring bushings now.

E5CD10BF-5BDE-4354-9824-76FD2086D53D.jpeg

474B3CC3-06E4-432C-9304-2B9BBF103226.jpeg

Edited by Ssunrader
Add pictures

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Adrian said:

Hey All! 

New to the forum! We have our rig on Cars and Bids right now! Hope you all will take a look. It is one of a kind

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rwMvJ66x/1987-toyota-dolphin-motorhome

Nice rig! Is Elvis included in the sale?

• 1 month later...

I am in Atlanta, GA and have a 1985 22-re   New Horizon with 40K miles.  It runs very well and I have recently replaced the front wheel calipers and am preparing to replace the brake master cylinder

and will have to overhaul rear brakes if replacing the master cylinder does not solve my brake problems.

• 1 month later...

Just got this 91 Dolphin. Pretty decent shape. Everything is there and works. Has some rot that needs attending as well as some updating.  It's new name is the Day Tripper.  It lives in Bakersfield, Ca

20221011_145222.jpg

Edited by Superface

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd share my 1984. It's a shorty at 16.5 feet - I keep it obsessively clean but it still needs some work. I bought it in a blizzard in North Dakota from an oilfield worker last year. I paid $3900.00 for it but have put about $2000.00 into it since. I just shampood the carpet and handwashed the curtains. 6 new tires tomorrow and driving it out west for work soon after that. Hope all is well and thanks for checking it out!! 😊 

20221108_132732.jpg

20221108_220038.jpg

Edited by juicemorph
Forgot some words and details

4 hours ago, fred heath said:

Should be done before any long distance 

Is it true the rigs under 17 feet had less of an issue? Thanks for the tip. I do appreciate it..

Your decision to make.

Keep in mind there are no replacement axle shafts (anywhere) for the GO82 axle. If you loose an axle shaft you’re looking at a tow to home, not to mention potential damage to the coach itself.

I believe 2 members here had 16’ fiberglass campers that both lost an axle. Good luck.

49 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Your decision to make.

Keep in mind there are no replacement axle shafts (anywhere) for the GO82 axle. If you loose an axle shaft you’re looking at a tow to home, not to mention potential damage to the coach itself.

I am in a position where I have to get to a job in Nor.Cal from Montana. Going to have to roll the dice on this one. Will upgrade that ASAP.

So far work on it: rebuild carb, basic tuneup, front right spindel replaced, brakes done, new grill, bumper, turn signals, headlights, old decals removed and new fender paint matched. I don't really have money to pay mechanics so I did the work. Would be nice to have access to a lift but I use a set of ramps to get under it when I need to. Currently troubleshooting air in the clutch line. Don't see an obvious leak and I bled air from the line but pedal still softish. Shifts ok, kind of grinds into reverse unless I shift through the other gears first. For 38 years old I'm quite happy with it and will iron out kinks. 

Anyway, again, I am grateful for your time and encouragement to get my axel handled. I'll see what my options are when I get to NorCal. I am curious if anyone here might know why this is just a "Rader" as opposed to "SunRader". It has aluminum siding as opposed to fiberglass... and the windows in front seem a little different. Is there a difference between a Rader and a Sunrader?  Thanks again! Take care!

Edited by juicemorph
Fixed a couple things

Your rig looks very nice. Yes, Leisure Monterey made conventionally framed motorhomes besides just the fiberglass Sunrader. That's why yours is just Rader. To help take some of the strain off the rear axle, inflate the rear inside tires 5 to 10 pounds more than the outside. For now, it's the best you can do. Where in Northern Cal are you going. I'll look for an axle nearby. 

For future posts please start a new thread. Stuff gets lost in the huge thread making it impossible for others to use the advice and learn from your experience. 

Linda S

On 11/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, linda s said:

Your rig looks very nice. Yes, Leisure Monterey made conventionally framed motorhomes besides just the fiberglass Sunrader. That's why yours is just Rader. To help take some of the strain off the rear axle, inflate the rear inside tires 5 to 10 pounds more than the outside. For now, it's the best you can do. Where in Northern Cal are you going. I'll look for an axle nearby. 

For future posts please start a new thread. Stuff gets lost in the huge thread making it impossible for others to use the advice and learn from your experience. 

Linda S

Thank you for the kind words on the rig and the advice on the tire pressure. I will follow it. I am going to Santa Rosa for work for a couple of months and I'm grateful for your willingness to help me look for the axel. I hit a deer in my Subaru with liability only. This is my only vehicle currently so I know I'm rolling the dice getting out there. Starting a new thread for a question I have now. Thank you again Linda. 

• 6 months later...

Hi all, I have a 1978 Toyota Galavan that I use as a daily driver (between repairs).

I am very happy with it even though I had to rip out the whole camper interior this winter due to water and mold. Gives me a chance to build it up just right.

IMG_0214.JPEG

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, new owners of an old moho, and, not a me, but a we...Cherie & Kyle...been that way for 40 years or so. We just recently purchased a 1990 Winnebago Warrior as we like to run far, far away from the Winters here in the Northwoods of Minnesota. No trip yet but we have been preparing for our 1st trip...a 3 hour trip to Bayfield, WI in a couple weeks.

New tires all around, replaced the 4 gallon leaking h2o heater with a new Suburban 6 gallon and we're busy cleaning, disinfecting water systems and holding tanks and "outfitting" for the maiden voyage and the winter tour to follow.

Family is scattered all across the country and there are places left to explore. We're in our early 60's and take retirement 5 months at a time. We'll be doing tours every winter to points south to include Baja!

Glad we found this group for the amazing amount of advice and knowledge of all of you here, hope to meet you out there on the road!

• 5 months later...