What's your rig and where's it at?

desertrat

1991 Leisure Odyssey Americana 

Waukesha, WI, 53186

We are total Newbies to RVs (bought the Americana 2 days ago, our first RV) and we are looking forward to learning as we update the rig and hit the road.

Scott and Beth

IMG_6088 (1).jpg

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got our 1987 Dolphin. Great shape. 87k miles. $4,900 

Took it out with our family for its first 110 mile journey. Averaged 13.7 mpg. 

20190614_081449_HDR.jpg

20190613_181841.jpg

1 hour ago, maxpow99 said:

Just got our 1987 Dolphin. Great shape. 87k miles. $4,900 

Took it out with our family for its first 110 mile journey. Averaged 13.7 mpg. 

20190614_081449_HDR.jpg

20190613_181841.jpg

Looks very nice!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted here in a while, but felt like an update was in order. I am still/again in my '84 4X4 Sunrader and she's running great. Just brought me all the way from the west TX desert to Idaho. I'm wondering if she may have the most miles of any 4X4 Sunrader on the road, more than 208k now. Anyone know of one with more?

sunnysunrise.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

we have a 1988 sun-land express been trying to get one of these toy campers for past 3 years, finally got this one from original owner, 39k miles  22r engine , auto/overdrive... every piece of paperwork and documentation with it.. and everything they ever had done since they owned it with it.. so if you need sunland manual i would be willing to make you a pdf copy.. matter of fact i'll try and do that this weekend post it up here

the sunland express's don't seem to be in numbers that many others are but im sure someone out there might like a manual for one

so far we love it! everything i thought it would and would not be.. it has not disappointed!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Newbie Here. Just bought my 91 Toyota Itasca Spirit with 49K. Stoked. I need the school year to end already so I can get on the road. In the meantime its weekend trips. I'm wondering how people winterize when they also use the rig during the winter? Just bring water bottles?

Thanks, excited to get going on this group.

Matt

Salem, OR

IMG_20190914_063832 copy.jpg

Edited by Thirsty Spirit

Depends on temp and duration.

If the low temp is above freezing, make sure you have propane and the heater works. Then just go for it.

0 to freezing winterize the rig and use bottled water, mix up a 1/3 antifreeze 2/3 water and use it to flush the toilet.

Below 0 be in a camp ground with shore power and use a small electric heater to save propane. 50/50 antifreeze for flushing.

Below -20 stay home😂

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks WME. I have a couple more questions about winterizing. I have drained the system of water. I've watched a couple videos and looks like the antifreeze gets put in the city water hook up and not into the big water tank. Is that correct? Also, I don't have bypass for my waterheater so I guess I've got to fill up my water heater with antifreeze? 

Thanks so much for any information.

It takes a few parts to do it right. These will save you a bunch of time and money in the future.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Pump-Converter-Winterizing-Kit-36543/205808441    You cant just pour antifreeze in the city water hook up. This will let the water pump suck the antifreeze direct from the jug.

This is for the water heater. It will save you about $20 each year if you don't pump 6 gallons of antifreeze in the heater, it will also make the water taste better next year.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Quick-Turn-RV-Permanent-By-Pass-Kit-35983/205808443

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 12:00 PM, Derek up North said:

Lucky you. You've actually got a Hew Horizon 'Nova Star'.

image.png.3050012b3edab620d3e37e6c9636365c.png

And a mighty fine part of the World to enjoy it. :)

Oh wow okay! 😂 It was advertised as a dolphin when I bought it and had never seen one before so had no idea! Thank you for knowing more about my vehicle than I do.. Haha 

I’m just now checking this thread, noticed the responses are from awhile ago, is there another place members are using now to tell folks what type  of Toyota they have?

9 hours ago, rvplease said:

I’m just now checking this thread, noticed the responses are from awhile ago, is there another place members are using now to tell folks what type of Toyota they have?

This thread is as good as it gets and relies entirely on whether Forum Members chose to post and give this information. Some do, some don't.

Hello all (all over)!

I have been absorbing the info here for a little while but just never stopped to post a greeting.  Reading everybody here, I know these rigs are really just reclamation projects to one degree or another if you have picked it up recently (and yes...some are pristine!).  Then there are the rest of us! lol

Well this is my "rescue" .  Only a teenager at 124k. Two P.O. ago took really good care of this RV. The person I got it from had no clue what he had (and I think I scared him a bit....again....thanks for all the info {input maniacal laugh here and wringing of the hands}.

I decided I really enjoyed it too much to start the "fixin up" that needed to take place after the 2nd owner let slide some aspects of keeping this vehicle roadworthy. I made sure it gets down the road well enough to feel comfortable.  It is amazing that these sleds still can go (70 is not a problem!).  My kid made fun of me by saying that it is sad the best running vehicle I own is almost considered an antique.  PUNK!

I almost felt like posting straight to the Murphy's Law portion of the site because it has been a bunch of little things (but they teach you the most of things you don't want to repeat) that have kept me from traveling too too far (500 miles in one shift is the longest trip so far).

Thank you TMH family and I can't wait to see some of you at some events (as long as I can keep Muphy's Law at bay...it's embarrassing showing up with one window missing or your ladder dangling off the back).

IMG_0804 (1).JPG

Edited by jdavid
I loaded wrong image (although looking at this one, I am not sure this is right either....ugh!)

• 3 weeks later...

I've never posted here except when I originally joined, and I think I was in low-bandwidth Guatemala at the time so no pix.

We have a 1989 Leisure Odyssey Fargo Americana. The layout is just like the brochure in a post above. I bought it in 2013 with 49K miles on it for a one-way trip from NH to Guatemala, where we (two adults, two teenagers, and two dogs) lived in it while fixing up a boat. We intended to abandon it there (give it to a worthy Guatemalan helper) and sail home. However the boat took longer than the nine months we were there, and meanwhile we had fallen in love with it, so we drove it back home the long way. We've since done a second round-the-USA tour. I now have an itinerant job so I live in it about six months a year. It just turned over 100K miles. I don't suppose we'll ever get rid of it.

Besides having been through five countries (USA, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras) it probably has notoriety as the strongest Toyota RV in existence. The Mexican "Tumelos" (Speed bumps) are evil and tore the heck out of the lightly built extended frame of our "Casa Movil", which was so bent by the time we arrived in Guatemala that the floor separated from the box by five inches at the stern (our dogs could get in and out without opening the door!). To straighten the bent frame and reinforce it for the trip home, first we tried jacking it up from the rear bumper (not enough weight) then filling the interior with four 55 gal drums of water (yep, that bent it back). Then we sliced off all the rear undercarriage, added 3" steel I-beams fore and aft and 2" crossbeams, and welded the undercarriage back on. Meanwhile, while the box was up off the frame I replaced the aft six feet of floor that was rotting out. (Of course we were still living in it while the work was done!!!) The last picture shows the extra frame member aft of the rear wheels.

Other than this and the fiascos with the fuel system described in other posts, it's been a good companion. It's still just right for four people and two dogs, although the teenagers are full-grown now so squish a bit in the cabin berths.

1810575399_RV1.jpg.002587b1602c3d70bb00e43715661ab5.jpg

926776211_RV2.jpg.25b2ecf00f1bd2c99a2ed40123843492.jpg

unnamed.jpg.2850b1ca239e704a41828b93a44d75b1.jpg

1964614479_Rearswaybarandlink.jpg.42146be90870a8c35a712b13709cc4c4.jpg

RV 1.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 11:31 AM, jeff thomas said:

we have a 1988 sun-land express been trying to get one of these toy campers for past 3 years, finally got this one from original owner, 39k miles  22r engine , auto/overdrive... every piece of paperwork and documentation with it.. and everything they ever had done since they owned it with it.. so if you need sunland manual i would be willing to make you a pdf copy.. matter of fact i'll try and do that this weekend post it up here

the sunland express's don't seem to be in numbers that many others are but im sure someone out there might like a manual for one

so far we love it! everything i thought it would and would not be.. it has not disappointed!

I would take a copy of the .PDF file if you're so inclined. I just picked up a 86 and have NO information for it. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Marxachusetts- 1993 Warrior 321 RB, bought it for 1500, not running. Leak at overhead fan over galley area, front bunk no obvious leaks, sidewalls and front outside no sign of delam. Will need back bumper and roof sealing at least, plus fix fantastic fan area over galley. So far, 2500 in repairs to get it running-timing belt, fuel injectors, radiator, vacuum hoses, water pump, intake manifold gasket, etc. Mouse urine had destroyed/frozen lots! So, now up to 4,000$, checking out brakes, underneath, etc. 6 tires on the way, (Hankooks, thank you to Linda S.), and hopefully will be ready for shakedown cruise to Maine. will stay in my friend's yard, if something not working, no big deal. I think I got a good deal, so far around 4,000 into it, hopefully below 10,000 will have great rig, I love the room inside, perfect for what we need.

LOVE this forum.

Edited by Pat O

No sure where you are in Massachusetts but if you’re close to Hampton Beach there’s a garage there (heavy truck) that does great work on these rigs.

Frank’s Garage. (603) 926-4900.

Only place I trust to work on my rig. Full service with machine shop, body shop and does custom exhaust.

3 hours ago, fred heath said:

No sure where you are in Massachusetts but if you’re close to Hampton Beach there’s a garage there (heavy truck) that does great work on these rigs.

Frank’s Garage. (603) 926-4900.

Only place I trust to work on my rig. Full service with machine shop, body shop and does custom exhaust.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Just picked up this 91 odyssey 22ft. 130k miles on it. 
plans this winter are 3.4 swap, strip off all old sealer, reseal, redo roof and new paint and stripes. Interior refresh and add solar/new converter. Hoping to do the pan American as far as panama with it in 2022. 

35B2CAC6-B056-4041-BE09-F6F91FB0E278.jpeg

A1D92DC5-FE5E-46BB-8DA5-B6263325C7D4.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Newbie here.  We are in Claremont, California.  Purchased a 92 Winnebago about 6 weeks ago.  It needed some repair, and this website has been a great resource!  Looking forward to learning more about my rig and sharing what I learn to others!  

• 1 month later...

1986 Escaper. Wisconsin. 72,000 miles. Four cylinder. Four speed manual. 

Recently purchased for $5,800, looking at about $3-4,000 in updates with the intent to drive it cross country north/south, east/west, and maybe even to PEI. Thank you to everyone answering my posts and helping me figure out what needs done. 

Edit: That's part of the emergency brake in the front passenger seat. 

IMG_20201007_130546074.jpg

IMG_20201007_130600442.jpg

IMG_20201007_130606676.jpg

IMG_20201007_130616356.jpg

IMG_20201007_130619963.jpg

IMG_20201007_130654905.jpg

IMG_20201007_130659457.jpg

Edited by JustJosh

• 2 weeks later...

Our '83 Shorty is back from the shop just in time to go into storage. Great work by Ogilves Fleet and Auto in Jasper,  Ontario. Axle swap, all new rear brakes, shocks, OME springs w. Anti-inversion kit, front ball joint, various bushings, new muffler, cab floor repair, some custom fabrication of shock and swaybar mounts, and a bunch of other easy stuff I did myself( LED marker lights, wiper arms, rad fluid and washer fluid reservoirs reported, etc). Sits about 3 inches higher at the back. Original springs were in quite bad shape. Sits handles and rides much better. Got a couple of short trips in as well. Past safety inspection and she's fully licenced. Winterize this week and into storage on Saturday. New tires are a work in progress as we wait on the imagination of UPS. 

IMG_20201019_1603288.jpg

20201019_160754.jpg

1602155222212_20200918_095854.jpg

• 1 month later...

1984 Toyota Dolphin that we bought in august! Has a VERY uncommon (to my knowledge, at least) floor plan. I believe it’s a 700? Rear bed. So it has two beds. Over cab and the one in the rear. The previous owner was a mechanic replaced the shocks, ALL hoses in the engine, new toilet, an AUTHENTIC Ooga horn, and a few other things. He very much did not want to sell it but his wife wanted a truck and a tow behind camper so they could travel safely with their grandkids in their car seats. Had 106k miles on it and it was $5500. Definitely needs some love and some updating but we’ve been on the road with it for almost a month now and it’s going well enough for now. Started in Southern Vermont and were in Florida right now on our way to the Keys 

C0033A76-8B90-456F-B128-C65DC2DF920D.jpeg

5E776B39-B0D5-400D-BC00-3277DD61349D.jpeg