What's your rig and where's it at?

desertrat

Hi

I picked up one of the Bandits for sale in the Adirondacks this past summer. It now resides in So. Vermont  

I didn't regret the expense as the body is really sound and engine runs great. Not to say that i haven't been putting more cash into it. You never see them this clean on the east coast. 

Being a cabinetmaker, I've torn out the interior and am painting the paneling, replacing the doors with curly maple veneer and adding mahogany counters. Trying to keep it nice without adding weight is a challenge. I've shied away from using the propane furnace. Any thoughts on the safety of these?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use mine frequently and don't worry about it.  HOWEVER, I do have a propane detector, smoke detector, and a carbon monoxide detector.  I would not trust even my the furnace in my house without those same detectors.  

first off, welcome!  glad to see another bandit owner here.  suspect many here would love to drool over pix of your interior renovation.  it's nice how those center panels on the cabinet doors just pop out so you can send em where they belong, that great 70s trash can in the sky.....;)

assuming you don't have any leaky connections, the furnace is just sort of a tiny version of a home unit and shouldn't pose any more risk.  but as Bob says, you can get leak detectors at most RV or marine supply places, and probably at Home Despot if you live somewhere a lot of people are on propane.  you sound competent enough to give it the initial soapy water leak detection test at all fittings before you fire it up.  and while you might could live w/o a furnace, you'll need the stove, so might as well get system up to speed and debugged.

Home base is Grass Valley, Ca.  

We bought our Odyssey from a guy that lived in it for 10 years and it smelled like. I dont think he never used the shower. lol so after a year of renovation this is our final result. We wanted something different color wise.  I don't think we have enough color in our lives. 

20150927_161650.jpg

purging the previous owner is both one of the most frustrating and the most rewarding things........better having to purge their bodily, cooking, and pet odors than their wiring work, but usually you get it all...........

I like the paint scheme and the heron! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have just bought a 1985 Sunrader 4x4 a month ago. Willamette valley oregon is where we are. All in all it is is great shape, fixed some dry rot around the rear windows and frame work for the dinette, sealed all the roof vents and windows. New tires all around, LED lighting inside, curtains and looking at other things that may be a concern.

LED tailights, running lights, deep cycle battery, floor support and Amsoil all throughout are on the bucket list.

I bought this for my granddaughter and myself to enjoy the great outdoors.

I really like this forum, all of the great stories, ideas and help!

20160408_151414[1].jpg_

welcome to the slow lane.......   ;)    

nice rig!  You do realize that if you go to sell it, this place will get as bloody as a Walmart on Black Friday....??

I've had my camper for a few years now, but I just saw this post so posting now!

My rig is a 1977 Toyota Pontiex Pont-X SR-2. I bought it in Tahoe and lived in Durango, CO for a few years in it. At the time it was perfect since I had a job where I was backpacking with youth for a week at a time, then off and traveling for the next week. Took it on many trips around CO and to UT, NM, and NV. I recently drove it across country to move back to Vermont!

The "Ponty" has a 20r engine and a 5 speed transmission that I recently upgraded when the 4 speed bit the dust. The shell is fully fiberglass so no leeks! The Ponty seems to have seen many upgrades and remodels throughout its life. The interior is in great condition. Considering some version 3.0 upgrades on the layout, carpet, paint, etc. 

Here are some photos. For more photos and specific upgrades check out the link to my blog. Enjoy!

Mischa

www.pontxadventures.wordpress.com

10635907_10101688217241157_3062111755804015788_n.jpg

1897663_10101127663490367_6294778600400545061_n.jpg

10501642_10101229084516817_5612566141693810236_n.jpg

10995411_10101520454653727_4118634546272298478_n.jpg

11701140_10101706298955257_1494550888445785477_n.jpg

12109069_10101823686749177_1068361022775029981_n.jpg

10401449_10101175116888377_3192973415805738971_n.jpg

10314591_10101175196468897_9133908837107689415_n-2.jpg

10409534_10101175218474797_5435881149918237604_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well this 92 Toy is in Beulah, WY today. Sand Creek camp area to be exact. Just enjoying some outdoors and a little fishing.

20160524_101503_zps0fswqvdt.jpg

Here is a pic of the creek.

20160524_100934_zpsw1owmfmx.jpg

And another picture of the rig.

20160524_100846_zpsbdntnmbd.jpg

Here is a picture of today's front yard.

20160524_100920_zpsakucxeqt.jpg

Here are some interior shots of the Itasca.

20160423_194800_zpssloa5amu.jpg

I took out the original couch and built a base for a new place to sit or for a Grand kid bed. My first attempt at re upholstering.

20160423_114936_zpsbqzdwfmw.jpg

This is the storage under the new couch. It is now very handy to access tool box and assorted stuff.

20160423_122523_zpsmssua2g2.jpg

I added an aftermarket console and a wireless back up camera. I will be putting in a gauge and a switch for the air suspension in that console.

A new blue tooth digital radio is on it's way to replace the POS that came with the rig.

20160425_190115_zpspz7rivyz.jpg

Here is a picture of the new flooring this was done before the couch rebuild.

20150921_144321_zpsyumz5wxb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all! New to the forum, and happy to be here! Checking in from Ashland, Oregon.

Just a few days ago we purchased our first RV, a 1977 Toyota Chinook 4x2 4speed with 81,000 miles. I think we got pretty lucky as it seems to be in pretty good condition, with almost all original parts and a few upgrades. 

Upgrades include a motorized water faucet, a newer audio system in cab, camper upholstery and bed extender for the cab-top bed.

We plan to take it on a 3 month National Park tour next summer and would love to hear your thoughts on potential weaknesses and opportunities for upgrades.

Intended upgrades include:
- New tires
- Replace all camper light bulbs (original) with something more energy efficient.
- Drivers side front blinker doesn't work.

All comments welcomed with open arms. Thanks! 

Andrew

20160618_124530.jpg

20160619_103058.jpg

20160619_103434.jpg

20160619_103601.jpg

20160619_103328.jpg

Edited by Planetwalker15

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that looks clean! Nice find!

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you as I just found my first Chinook as well and I have the same questions :)  

Congrats!

On 2016-03-05 at 1:11 PM, CButcher said:

Hi from Carmel Valley, CA

Here because I have a 1981 Dolphin 500, with a water damaged camper that I have found a ton of insight and knowledge about here.

Unfortunately it is not a Toyota..... They stuck this one on a 1981 Ford F-150, most came on 250 3/4 ton's.

Hope you will let me stick around and ask questions....?

Sounds like a neat rig.  Dolphin and Shasta made a few on Ford 1/2 ton trucks with the 300 six.  I have a road-test done for a 1981 with a standard trans and it did better than most Toyotas at 16  MPG average.  I suspect it will be a lot lower with a C6.  Dolphin also made the 500 with a GM 379 c.i. diesel that I suspect was a real dog with less power than your 300 cube Ford.  But can't say I know anyone that has owned one or did a test.

ShastaTL82_2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am a newbe here...  I just bought a 1980 Huntsman...  I live in Lehigh Acres, Fl...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my rig is a 1992 winnie warrior, with 53k , v6 auto.  finally it is back home. it spent all summer getting a complete new roof due to a hail storm in may. i have it back just in time to store it for the winter. i missed the whole season here in ohio, but on the upside i have a new roof and interior ceiling, it looks good and the roof has a 12 year warranty.

100_1680.JPG

100_1683.JPG

100_1686.JPG

100_1691.JPG

hey there Derek, front vent was eliminated by choice, as well as the tv antenna post, i am not a TV person so the crank up post was eliminated, the repair shop re-arched the metal roof cross braces and added the rain gutter, the roof now will actually shed the water as originally designed.

On 2016-11-03 at 0:28 PM, hunkaman said:

the repair shop re-arched the metal roof cross braces and added the rain gutter, the roof now will actually shed the water as originally designed.

That's awesome... Only thing that bugs me about my Warrior is the roof sags about a half inch in the middle from the A/C, not too bad yet... Would love to get the roof redone maybe next year.  How much does that run?

2 hours ago, Jaunt said:

That's awesome... Only thing that bugs me about my warrior is the roof sags about a half inch in the middle from the A/C, not too bad yet... Would love to get the roof redone maybe next year.  How much does that run?

He mentioned on another post that he could have bought another  RV for the cost of the roof so I'm guessing a lot

Linda S

my insurance covered the cost with no deductable, the cost was about 5 thousand. the shop really did a top notch job, although it took many months to complete. the entire roof was removed and started from scratch with new foam insulation, an rv luan skin and a seamless rubber roof membrane. they also upgraded with the roof gutter channels. of course the interior ceiling was replaced as well. they had to remove all the ceiling mounted cabinets and replace after the new ceiling panels were installed. i chose to eliminate the front vent and the crank up tv antenna, but a new power rear bathroom vent was installed as well as a new vent cover over the fridge area and a new bathroom stack vent. the rubber roof material has a 12 year warranty. the re-arching of the metal cross members really  eliminates water pooling on the roof. it took all summer , but i am more than pleased with the finished job. i know i should not have a leakage problem for a very long time with proper maintenance . 

19 hours ago, linda s said:

He mentioned on another post that he could have bought another  RV for the cost of the roof so I'm guessing a lot

Linda S

oof... maybe i'll just drive mine until it caves in, lol.

planning on staying in dry/warm climates anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm Tyson and I just bought a 1985 Toyota Escaper 4carb 4 speed 65k. It has a few rough edges but overall in good shape. Managed the two hour drive home (Stoughton, WI) without issues. 

Over the winter I plan to clean it up and button up the rough edges so I can go on a few trips in the spring. I think I'll post a thread on it this upcoming week with pictures!

Hi guys/gals - new owner here of an 87 Toyo minnie winnie. I'm trying to determine the model. The paperwork says it is a  Model Wt319rk , and "yup" it IS a rear kitchen but I don't know the model name. The original sticker also says it is 20.7feet. Attached a few pictures. discovered a lot of rot forward and have rebuilt the nose and done a bunch of other mods. will post some pictures soon. Thanks!

DSCF7890.JPG

DSCF7886.JPG

DSCF7916.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

El Paso, TX here. Proud owner and resident of a 1987 Toyota Dolphin 21 foot.  

I'm a truck driver and it seemed stupid to be renting an apartment for $600/month when I'm always gone. My uncle sold me my Dolphin for $1400 including transportation here from Kirtland, NM.  

Parked at a nice little RV park on the east side of town near my kids. $250/month plus electric. Since I'm not here all the time, it averages $30/month.

So far the only repair I have done is fixing the exhaust pipe to manifold connection, which I understand is a common fail point for the 22R engine.

The RV itself is in pretty good shape for being near 30 years old. The only things not working are the furnace and generator, non issues for me since I'm pretty much parked for now and hooked to utilities. The electric space heater my uncle included keeps it comfy as it rarely gets below the high twenties here in Southwest Texas.  

One of these days I'll tinker with the generator. Its an Onan gasoline generator.

It's not culture shock for me as it might be for others living in an RV since I'm used to truck sleeper cabs, and my truck is a 2007 Volvo VNL780 which is one of the larger factory sleeper cabs. 

Looking forward to doing repairs here and there to improve my new home. :)

• 4 months later...