What's your rig and where's it at?

desertrat

nice clean looking rig there pandu.

@Outside:

Really nice quality photos. What kind of camera used for those? That rack looks well built, but do you have any clearance issues? That seems like a lot of motorhome after the wheels.. like about 9' or the size of that surfboard?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bajadulce,

Thanx for the compliment. I just use a Canon pocket camera but love taking photos.

Yeah, I do have to be a bit careful with clearance issues. Especially steep driveway transitions. For me , the toys are a necessity. I had a welder build a spreader bar in front of the bumper with receiver post's. Attachments are removable. In the winter I run with a rocket box on the cargo tray for skis. works great!

We live in Flagstaff, AZ and keep our '92 Warrior Mule (That's what I call it since it doesn't go fast, but gets me to where I am going) here also. . We travel quite a bit in it in the west and I also live in it while I am working as a Boilermaker. Absolutely love living and traveling in it. Keep it loaded and ready for any trip or tailgate party. We have owned it for six years and I bought it from someone from Rhode Island with 99K miles on it. That person must have traveled even more than I do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Darrell and Niki here,

This is "Agnes" she is a 1990 Sunrader that my folks gave me. They had it for over 10 years and it has traveled the us. This is the 2nd Sunrader I have owned. It is the rear bath model. One cool thing that's been done to it is a gear change to 4.88's. This and a free flowing exhaust really make this drive really nice. She is located on the Key Peninsula in Washington state.

post-5915-0-13241400-1335827609_thumb.jp

I am the proud owner of a 1987 (or maybe '86.. title says '87 though) Gulf Stream Conquest 4Cyl. Automatic. I purchased from an individual on 3-24-12 for $5,000.00. She is bone dry underneath, and no roof leaks. She came with all of the original manuals and many receipts for parts and repairs. I have several pictures in my gallery. I live in Jackson, MS... :)

the year models are a little tricky to nail down. my pink say 1990, actually 1989 if you go by the metal plate on the coach. vin say cab is 1989. keeps things interesting. but i'm not going to change my name here :o)

• 2 weeks later...

I am the proud owner of a 1987 (or maybe '86.. title says '87 though) Gulf Stream Conquest 4Cyl. Automatic. I purchased from an individual on 3-24-12 for $5,000.00. She is bone dry underneath, and no roof leaks. She came with all of the original manuals and many receipts for parts and repairs. I have several pictures in my gallery. I live in Jackson, MS... :)

Turns out mine must be a 1986... At least that is what the new Mississippi title says...

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Ellicott City Maryland and drive a 1983 Sunrader 18'. It was given to me by someone who in settleing their fathers estate towed it to Maryland from Washington State in 1993. She backed it under a pine tree where it sat until I rescued it in 2007. " If you can get it out of there you can have it". The renovation was fun. When life is good you will find us camping on Assateague Island.

post-5603-0-71666100-1338780035_thumb.jp

1983 21 foot Dolphin, North Central Illinois :hyper: She's near complete now, just a few more mod's and renovations!

Here's my slideshow...

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=slideshow&album=365

Hi all new to the site. I have what the registeration says is an 87 Toy and the outside decal say Sunrader however my unit is a fiberglass shell and all other 87 I've seen have the aluminum shell. Really enjoying the little truck has everything I need and more. Have some generator issues as well as the refrig doesn't seem to work in the propane setting but am working on getting both repaired. Hope to get a lot of good advice from this site in the future as I hope to keep it a long time making needed repairs and great additions along the way. Haven't taken any pics yet. I am in Southwest Virginia (The Blue Ridge Mountains BTW)

sunrader has fiberglass and aluminum in many if not all years.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys nice to meet all of you! Im Evan, my girl V just got a 21 foot 88 odessy party model/rear dinette, we checked out several, psyched to see what we'd find, after a few bad ones and wasted trips, when they were supposed to be perfect, we came across the odessy, and man its pretty clean, one owner, older couple from orange county ca, its the 4cyl auto, motor has only 40,000 miles on it runs GREAT! they maintained it all decently but things are worn out on her..

im resealing it with 3m 4200uv, that stuff is the absolute best, hands down..i found it through some MH forums.. i used to be a painter, still am, and have caulked in many things, you dont want to use anything else on a MH, its amazing.. clean everything spotless first though..

we are noticing a bit of termite rot, but it doesnt seem so bad, of course should probly gut it in the future but its structural for now, did have a bit of water damage but had $2000 in repairs, bad caulk jobs etc. but workable!

have to take it to COLD weather to kill those termites, if theyre still in her..

we just love the layout, her boys can sleep on the rear couchbed, and we fit great above, and the 2 captians chairs back there are awesome, makes it feel gigantic, love this thing... ive been reading about how to drive the tranny here, no prob, i like goin slow sometimes! i have a yota camry 4cyl..220,000 miiles on it.. more weight here i know..

were getting tires, hanooks ra08's, $930 for 7 with warranty americas tire price match, $80 a tire.. the old ones are 12 years old with 8,000 miles on em, gotta go sorry.. havent messed with the air bags but it feels and looks a lil saggy to one side for sure, hope those are still holding right..

ive noticed underneath the exterior side walls it was never sealed at the joint where the paper on the back inside meets the steel cornerbeads, thats where the termites got in no doubt! and water too.. what a faulty design, some areas were sealed with what looks like tar, or just that old black silicone, and has held, i may use the same instead of the 3m 4200uv. maybe not, that stuff can do ANYTHING..

the propane needs to be sealed up, i smell a leak. id like a pro to look at that..

have to put a tranny cooler and guage on it as per the recs here..

seems like the marine batterys goin bad..

the water tanks look good they said they never used them or the stove, not sure whats up with the fridge but were hopeful lol

thanks for this great group here and ill be around more for sure.. peace guys!

post-6279-0-35119100-1340079074_thumb.jp

post-6279-0-61940700-1340079104_thumb.jp

post-6279-0-46680900-1340079149_thumb.jp

post-6279-0-97117500-1340079212_thumb.jp

post-6279-0-15000800-1340079336_thumb.jp

post-6279-0-06565300-1340079350_thumb.jp

post-6279-0-84247500-1340079361_thumb.jp

post-6279-0-34241100-1340079372_thumb.jp

post-6279-0-36777800-1340079391_thumb.jp

Edited by 88OdessyPartyModel

• 2 weeks later...

Full-timer living in/around Anchorage, Alaska

1990 Toyota Odyssey Newport 4x4

* 4 wheel drive!

* V6, 5 speed manual transmission

* Kimberly wood burning stove

* 60 watt solar panels

* Badland Bumpers front winch bumper w/ Procomp lights

* 2 custom kayak racks w/ Yakima rocket boxes

* diamond plate chest storage on rear bumper

* interior garden (lettuce, spinach, dill, rosemary, basil, etc)

* custom 12" sub, amp, & surround sound system

* custom 4" heavy duty lift springs

Still have lots of projects. Currently renovating interior walls, putting in hardwood floor. Would like to do a 3.4 engine swap eventually and get some real tires:^)

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

post-6327-0-91928200-1340869095_thumb.jp

post-6327-0-91530600-1340870082_thumb.jp

Edited by Odyssey4x4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my 85, automatic, dophin, w 68K miles, 4cyc is located in W Sacramento CA. It cost me $3k & maybe another $2K into it, to include resealing all roof seams, upgrade propane quick-release- regulator & the 4ft hose plus other small items that i am adding to my To Do List. I realize the amount i am putting into this motorhm is worth it when u compared to the cost of newer motorhomes. I realize i got a bargain.

I plan on traveling cross country or where ever and do not want to b stranded in any desert or any isolated mountain

this site is wonderful, especially for those of us who don't have the technical knowledge. thanks to the love of the veteran members for motor-homes, us newbies r allowed to gain years and years of knowledge for free (in exchange for a grateful thank u, i hope)

sharing knowledge for free empowers everyone, it is a win win situation. The learner learns, and the teacher reinforces their own knowledge keeping it abreast.

should the rest of life b like this forum (freely interchange info), we wouldn't haven't so many world problems; because we r all willing to share knowledge in order to help each other (not withhold the knowledge; & or sell it)

i love this site, thank u thank u thank u i am so grateful

i didn't know how to upload my photo from this dialogue box but i did place it in the photo gallery the other day. my rig looks like the previous post photo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey just bought Cormorant Clipper 1987 , 500$

living in Juneau Alaska ; sweet motorhome i think. I've got some rot in the sleeper just like sdboltdude has pictured; I'm wondering how I'm gonna fix that. fiberglass mat then resin?? i curious to see how you deal with yours. right now I'm battling a bad (new) alternator but i think I'm gonna be tripping in Canada this fall if all goes well

5Ia5Le5Jf3Mc3J93H1c9f82e7b2f9ecdb170c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all; bought our 1986 toy dolphin new summer of 86 cost $25000. it's a 900 equipped with air, gen, 4cyl and automatic, it's garage kept and still runs and looks fairly new, the only things i have had to replace over the years was the roof air, "new one has a heat strip", tires, batteries and breaks other than that it's like the ever ready bunny, just keeps going and going, it has 93000 mi on it and we like to take the back roads to travel so it stays under 60 most of the time, we live in east Tennessee and have traveled from Quebec to key west and west to the Rockies, come to think of it we did have to change the fan clutch about 10 yr agopost-5633-0-06121600-1349304013_thumb.jpo.

Edited by haffcke

I've been holding out on this post, as it seems obvious and probably a repeat, but on the four wheel camper forum i look at (my other motorhome) we did this to make people aware of similar campers in their area.

So I thought it might be interesting to have people post a photo of their Toyota rv and what town/city/area they live in. I see a number of these rigs around here and am always curious they are like (the owners and the rv's)

I live in Aptos, CA on the California central coast. I have a 1988 Horizon.

post-2897-12519942604167_thumb.jpg

Me, 1992 Toyota Itascia located in Nanaimo, British Columbia. I know of at least four other rigs in this area.

Brian

post-4805-0-06283800-1298390794_thumb.jppost-4805-0-36416300-1298390783_thumb.jppost-4805-0-14975900-1298390763_thumb.jppost-4805-0-65501000-1298390735_thumb.jpHello ...

I'm new here, but have had "Dollie" (1989 V6 SeaBreeze) six years this month. She's still pretty original, though reaching a point where she needs a bit of TLC. I put a carpet runner down over in the "hallway" just to add some color, with blankets over the couch and as a privacy curtain between the house and cab (helps alot with keeping the house warm/cool also). Also changed the kitchen faucet so there is a higher spout.. I added braces under the kitchen cabinets to keep the weight from pulling on the wall/ceiling due to previous water damage ... needed a new seal around the AC unit. I'm not up to redoing the wall myself and she seems to hold steady this way.

New Maxxux tires just after I bought her in '05. One of those that came on her shredded on me going down I-80. What a scare! The cooling unit for the fridge was replaced in '06 ... left it on too long off level. Live and learn! Replaced the alternator and the timing belt. I haven't like the way she runs ever since the timing belt was done and need to get her checked out again.

Lived in her full time three years. Now it's just a month or so here and there a couple times a year. Am looking forward to getting back to full timing once my house in NY sells! Will be in the Catskills this summer.post-4805-0-24951100-1298390539_thumb.gi

See my quote on Toyota warranty replacing head gaskets, you vehicle is in the qualifying age group 1987 - 1995 - along some other conditions, you may be eligible for replacement at no cost. Boots

• 3 weeks later...

'87 Gran Ville, 22re, 32,100 original miles. Just bought her a couple of days ago and Have her in the shop right now getting some odds and ends done and then we're off and, well, just kinda plugging along. :P

She definitely couldn't keep up with my old Ford E-250 Class B, so there's that. On the other hand, she has a lot more room and gets a couple miles more to the gallon. All in all she was a steal for what I paid for her ($2600).

She needs a generator, though. That will be project #1.

post-6508-0-10796700-1351906242_thumb.jp

Edited by straygoose

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a 1978 Chinook Newport a couple months ago. It's sitting in Montana, where it will unfortunately sit for another 6 months until better weather...

But I got to use it a couple times this fall, and I love it! Just needs some very basic work you'd expect from a 35 year old vehicle. 48,000 miles, not much rust (was in the Pacific Northwest, so not rust belt, but a lot of moisture), just a little where the mirrors where screwed into the doors, a little in the engine compartment, a little around the seal of the camper/cab.

I'd post photos but photobucket I think made some changes which aren't compatible with my work computer...so maybe I'll try again when I get home. I haven't been able to make anything work in photobucket for a couple weeks.

post-6535-0-87825500-1353688288_thumb.jp

Edited by MontanaChinook

• 2 weeks later...

I've got few complete users and a few "works in progress." I've got a 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer diesel 4WD with a 1978 Hallmark pop-up camper body. Also have a 1983 Chevy K5 4WD diesel Blazer with a 1979 Chinook-style "Chalet" camper with a pop-up roof. My latest project is my 1978 Toyota Chinook with a pop-up roof. The camper section itself is very similar to my Chevy Chalet. This 78 Chinook is getting a full-floating rear axle with dual wheels, HD 6 lug hubs in front along with big brakes, five speed W50 trans in place of the four speed. I may or may not put in power steering. I will also be putting in dual RV batteries in back, a 2000 watt inverter and a 140 amp alternator.

I live most of the time in central New York. Toyota Chinooks are rare around the east coast. I searched for a long time and finally found this one that came from Louisiana and was parked in Maine when I got it. Years back I had several big Class A motorhomes and have come to hate them. I keep searching for the ultimate small RV that gets good fuel mileage. Both my diesel 4WDs get a best around 16 MPG at 75 MPH. I also have a pop-up truck-camper on my 1992 Dodge W250 4WD diesel. It gets a best around 17 MPG at 75 MPH. I'm hoping this little Toyota Chinook will get 20 MPG on gas maybe at 60-65 MPH? We'll see.

Just bought a 1978 Chinook Newport a couple months ago. It's sitting in Montana, where it will unfortunately sit for another 6 months until better weather...

I bet my Chinook is uglier then your's. Here's what it looked like last month when I drove up to Maine to get it. We got lucky and got to use a closed campground and had it all to ourselves. The Chinook came from Louisiana and has very little rust.

Toyotawebsite.jpg

I bet my Chinook is uglier then your's.

Here's my "non-Toyota" rig. 1986 Chevy 4WD turbo-diesel Blazer with a 1979 Hallmarkt camper body. Has two deep cycle RV batteries in back, three large inverters, 900 watt micowave, AC fridge that works great, two beds, etc. Works well for me, my wife, little kid and dog. I don't think you see RVs too often capable of snow plowing. Gets around 16 MPG at 75 MPH. I'm hoping my little 78 Toyota Chinook will do a little better. At least gas is cheaper then diesel fuel now adays.

100_1246-1.jpg

100_5943.jpg