DC Output on my generator

jpyzik

Does anyone know the do's and dont's of charging a 12 volt battery using the dc output terminals on the generator?

The generator I bought on craigslist has a dc set of terminals but no manual for use.

Can I hook up jumper cables to these terminals and use it to chage a car battery?

Don't forget when your running your generator your converter is charging the coach battery too.

Be aware that the DC output on some generators make them BATTERY COOKERS.

I went over one 2 days ago that had a no load voltage of 18.7 volts!

Granted it was about 13 volts at 8 amps, but the voltage surged up as the load decreased.

Be aware of your battery's fully charged voltage, your charger voltage, and your battery electrolyte specific gravity. The specific gravity is the only way you can be 100% sure of your battery's charge level.

They are so cheap and tell you so much that it is just crazy that they aren't in every toolbox. Get one like this:

http://www.carparts.com/OTC-PROFESSIONAL-BATTERY-HYDROMETER/GP_2010637_N__10618.car?zmam=73771597&zmas=17&zmac=100&zmap=10618-2010637

Like bodybagger said they will cook a battery great for a quick charge to get you started nothing more.

I think you are referring to a portable genset, yes you just connect the terminals on the genset to the terminals on the battery. Of course you need to check for overcharging, if you tell us the make and power of the genset you have, someone may have the same unit, and can tell you the DC output, then it is easy to know how long to leave it charging. Basically you need to be the charge regulator especially on cheaper gensets.