So many questions!!!!!! help

impending doom

I am in the market for a toyota motorhome, been checking around trying to see whats a good deal. i am in a band and we are planing on using one for tour, but i dont know what things i should be looking for. like which motor, there will be 4 grown men in the motor home so does that mean a 20r is out of the question? i know i need the fixed rear axle.. but other then that i am lost.. and how hard would it be to put an a/c unit up top and where would i find one? thanks for any help

I am in the market for a toyota motorhome, been checking around trying to see whats a good deal. i am in a band and we are planing on using one for tour, but i dont know what things i should be looking for. like which motor, there will be 4 grown men in the motor home so does that mean a 20r is out of the question? i know i need the fixed rear axle.. but other then that i am lost.. and how hard would it be to put an a/c unit up top and where would i find one? thanks for any help

I think reality will rear its ugly soon, like about 2 hr in to the first trip.

You should be looking at a 27+ft class A, not a tiny 20ft Class C with just 2 under sized sleeping areas and limited water.

I think reality will rear its ugly soon, like about 2 hr in to the first trip.

You should be looking at a 27+ft class A, not a tiny 20ft Class C with just 2 under sized sleeping areas and limited water.

eh thats debatable, our other option is a 12/15 passenger van. with no sleeping arrangements no water/toilet, or anything to cook on. many band do tours in vans (even minivans) and sleep either in people homes or cheap hotels. so we feel like this could be a good option for us. but how under powered is the 20r? carbs? how hard would it be to find/replace and cabin ac? anything else i should know

All of the Toys are under powered, have limited water and holding tank capacity. Most are almost over loaded just sitting empty in the driveway. Add water, food 4 guys and their instruments and you got something thats way overloaded and unsafe.

With an overloaded Toy towing a trailer is not a good idea, so your stuck with keeping your stuff inside

So you have been warned :waaa: All 4 of you go to an RV dealer and get in a small unit and see how its going to feel.

But if you must, look for a 22RE with a 4sp. The 4c automatic transmissions are a weak point in a Toy MH. Find a rear bath with couch and dinette. Or a side bath with rear dinette. The rear dinette makes a Queen sized bed. Get one with dash air already installed as adding air can cost a bunch. A generator with roof air will increase your comfort, but will add to the initial cost, but again cheaper to get from the get go than to add later. Adding roof air is easy if your Toy is pre wired for A/C, just takes $$$.

V-6 advantages, 35 more HP, but it still weighs 6000lb and still no trailer. Better brakes, slightly larger water system.

stronger automatic transmission......5spds very rare

V-6 disadvantages, cost big bucks if some thing go wrong, worse gas mileage. Especially if yous that extra hp to boogie down the highway. The V-6 at 65-70 mph is a 10-12mpg rig.

V-6 advantages, 35 more HP, but it still weighs 6000lb and still no trailer. Better brakes, slightly larger water system.

stronger automatic transmission......5spds very rare

V-6 disadvantages, cost big bucks if some thing go wrong, worse gas mileage. Especially if yous that extra hp to boogie down the highway. The V-6 at 65-70 mph is a 10-12mpg rig.

i might have figured a happy medium. i still really like these things and want to buy one for myself. i might buy a van that can tow for the band.. i found a cheap toyota thats kinda a fixer upper.. needs a/c filled in the cab and a new unit on the roof.. its wired for it.. where would i find that part? thanks for all the help.. no one seems to want to help haha.

Edited by impending doom

Guys... My wife and I wouldn't be able to take trips in this thing with a guitar, amp and speaker on board. Two people and provisions for a weekend pushes it. A week of provisions has it busting at the seams.

Throw in 2 extra grown people, and instruments for all... you can't stuff it all in sitting in the driveway, much less stand that kind of crowding on the highway. These things have less room than it looks like. Don't even think about drums. Maybe bongos. One or two tops. And they'd have to be small ones.

The only way it would work is if you all play harmonicas, for two reasons. It's the biggest instrument you can fit with 4 people on board, and two, you'll be playing a lot of blues. You will be EXTREMELY CRAMPED and dread every second you are stuffed in this thing. Kind of like a 1950's New Orleans jail cell.

You can't tow anything with these. The reason folks don't want to help is because they can't help you with this. It won't work.

Go to your local RV dealer a roof A/C should be about $800.

These Toyota RVs are nice for 1 person, maybe a couple but more than that and it is way to small. Not only small physically but the holding tanks would have to be emptied 2-3 times a DAY if 4 people were using it for a long trip and overnighting in it. These things were made for short weekend vacations get aways for 1 or 2 people. Sure you see the pretty sales brochures with a smiling couple and a few little kids enjoying themselves but believe me if you get more than a wife coming along with you it will be "hel!! on wheels" within 3 hours. Not to mention that you will still have to drag along a box van with all your "stuff" in it.

If you are looking for a short or long range band vehicle get a bus and make a portion of it a living area and keep the rest for instrument, pa, and lighting storage.

Depending on where you live, retired school busses can be purchased at city/county/state auctions for little to nothing and they come in many sizes from shorties to full length diesel coachs.

thanks.. i think i am gonna buy it for me and my woman, the band will find something else..

but what would you use to coverup a hole temporarily on the roof.. where the second AC should go its not there and we want to cover up the hole until we have the money to buy a new AC. and mind you we will probably take it on some trips in winter.. thanks!

thanks.. i think i am gonna buy it for me and my woman, the band will find something else..

but what would you use to coverup a hole temporarily on the roof.. where the second AC should go its not there and we want to cover up the hole until we have the money to buy a new AC. and mind you we will probably take it on some trips in winter.. thanks!

Put a cheapo roof vent in until. The hole will be sealed and you'll have a vent you can open. Also do you really want a second ACm what about a powered vent instead.

You will enjoy it if using it as a couple. You may even use it as a stationary "lounge" at your gigs.

As Greg suggests get a standard roof vent and install it (cost is $25 +/- if you look around). Make sure you use putty tape to seal it to avoid leaks (even if you are using it as a temporarily fix)

As far as your idea of using it in the winter. BAD IDEA. These motor homes have minimal insulation and you will get VERY cold if the outside temp is moderately cool. There is no winterizing of the water system (fresh water, water heater, shower, toilet) and there is no winterizing of the waste tanks. The furnace is designed to take the chill off of an early spring, late fall morning and that is about it. I have used mine late in the year and even with down sleeping bags it is not comfortable at all. When you plan a late year trip think of it as going tenting. If you think it is too cold to pitch a tent and sleep outdoors it is probably too cold to take your Toyota RV also. Now maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy that grew up in L.A. (when it gets below 65 it is sweater weather for me).....

What you guys need for the band is my 35' MCI bus, sleeps 4, shower & throne, fridge stove solar panels, has bays underneath the floor that will hold enough amps for the Rolling Stones, 140 gal fuel, 100 galls fresh, 150 gals holding tanks, 7 kw generator, 38 gal propane tank, new engine, rebuilt automatic transmission. Will rip down the highway at 70mph all day, or night.

One day will have to sell her, but for now its my home.

Guys trust me, we spent 6mos in Mexico last winter in our Toyota, with a trailer for the gear, A toyota aint gonna get it for you, you will wind up hating each other after a weekend.

I'd have to agree. It's one thing to go camping in the great outdoors where one can live around and outside their vehicle. Karl, Steve, and Lorenna from the People's Guide traveled all over in a 60's VW van for months and months at a time. A band performing gigs tho is going to find themselves in the city and some really crowded cities at that. Touring these larger cities will be the greatest challenge. You may need a second support van to haul stuff + an additional bed to crash. 4 (* young) ppl touring/hanging out in a toy camper is doable with a second support vehicle such as a van.

• 8 months later...

Hah it is funny to read this after we had already went on tour. I am in the band with the member Impending Doom. The tour was fun, and the Sunrader did great! Although it was a bit slow up steep grades with everything (about 40mph), and everyone in it. After 4,000 miles and 9 cities across 3 states, it has outperformed our expectations. MPG ranged from 16-18mpg, and never missed a beat. We all should give the Sunrader more credit. It was awesome!

P.S. - There was zero fighting. Either we are great friends or just dodged disaster!

Tour1.jpg

Tour5.jpg

tour6.jpg

Tour2.jpg

Tour3.jpg

Edited by leshok

Ah, the exuberance and adaptability of youth!! Glad you kept your eyes on what can be done, and didn't get discouraged. Keep that spirit as long as you can. This old fart needs to see a good reminder of 'go for it' once in a while. Thanks for posting the pictures.