Latches, Locks and Keys

We took possession of an 84 Dolphin last week and it's been sitting at the storage place every since. I went over today to poke around on it and try to figure out where stuff is. Mostly, I wanted to try to start the generator but it's way to hot for that so I just opened up all the outside doors trying to find the connections to drain the tank (no luck on that hmm). I found several things that looked like they might be drain/tank/water related but didn't look like any of the pictures I've seen so far in my scrounging the Internet for reference points. I did find the power though!

So I opened this door on the driver's side, towards the back of the unit. It had this odd little plastic tab that I had to pull out, turn sideways and then push back through the slit in the door to get the door open. Apparently, I pulled too hard and it broke off. I've tried googling to maybe find a replacement but I'm not even sure what that type of latch is called. Any suggestions on a fix? The door appears closed right now but I know I can't drive with it like that.

Also, we only have one set of all the keys so I tried to get new one's made today at Ace. They got the ignition key but couldn't do any of the small one's. I'll probably try a locksmith tomorrow but I'm wondering if it might just be easier to replace the locks on the small exterior doors?

Thanks!

That little latch that broke, sounds like the door to the hot water heater pilot light. Too funny. I did the very same thing, and then lost the pieces. The hard plastic parts on the outsides of the older motorhomes are so brittle.

I've rigged mine until I have time to shop for parts.

I bent a small piece of heavy guage wire in half, pulled it through the inside loop, back to front, then bent the ends so it wouldn't pull all the way through...I then spread the bent section into a loop....rather an egg shape. To close the door to the hotwater heater, I just basically line up the egg shaped loop with the opening in the door, the egg wire pops through, and I twist on a piece of wire to keep the door shut. Not fancy, but at least I can drive it around until I can fix it properly.

Any other ideas guys? :)

That little latch that broke, sounds like the door to the hot water heater pilot light. Too funny. I did the very same thing, and then lost the pieces. The hard plastic parts on the outsides of the older motorhomes are so brittle.

I bent a small piece of heavy guage wire in half, pulled it through the inside loop, back to front, then bent the ends so it wouldn't pull all the way through...I then spread the bent section into a loop....rather an egg shape. To close the door to the hotwater heater, I just basically line up the egg shaped loop with the opening in the door, the egg wire pops through, and I twist on a piece of wire to keep the door shut. Not fancy, but at least I can drive it around until I can fix it properly.

You are brilliant! :)

You might try Winnebago parts catalog, a lot of the toy parts are interchangeable.

Hey, check it out. As bear suggested, I pulled up a Winnie catalog in PDF.

http://netfev.org/rialta/winnebago/winneba...ies_catalog.pdf

There are lots of latches. Still trying to figure out which one works for the water heater compartment door......and then I got sidetracked scrolling down and looking at all the cool mh gizmos. Will attempt to focus. :hyper:

s

oh, Gayla.....don't be surprised if the handles for your black or grey water drains are missing. Sadie has the same issue. There might be a rod or two that look like they might have had a handle or something. No need to twist, and if it's been sittin a while, it might be a little hard to pull......(pull like you would if you were checking the oil...straight out) it should slide.....might need to hang on with pliers. Should be one for the black water (Sadie's is driver's side.) and one for the gray (Passenger side rear?) Be careful the first time......just in case the previous owners have left.....a......um.......residuals....Better yet.....Pour a gallon of water down the sink and try emptying the gray side first to get the hang of it.

have fun.

We took possession of an 84 Dolphin last week and it's been sitting at the storage place every since. I went over today to poke around on it and try to figure out where stuff is. Mostly, I wanted to try to start the generator but it's way to hot for that so I just opened up all the outside doors trying to find the connections to drain the tank (no luck on that hmm). I found several things that looked like they might be drain/tank/water related but didn't look like any of the pictures I've seen so far in my scrounging the Internet for reference points. I did find the power though!

So I opened this door on the driver's side, towards the back of the unit. It had this odd little plastic tab that I had to pull out, turn sideways and then push back through the slit in the door to get the door open. Apparently, I pulled too hard and it broke off. I've tried googling to maybe find a replacement but I'm not even sure what that type of latch is called. Any suggestions on a fix? The door appears closed right now but I know I can't drive with it like that.

Also, we only have one set of all the keys so I tried to get new one's made today at Ace. They got the ignition key but couldn't do any of the small one's. I'll probably try a locksmith tomorrow but I'm wondering if it might just be easier to replace the locks on the small exterior doors?

Thanks!

I found those silly locks to be a real pain and some times they felt like they were locked and were not and I would look back in the mirror only to see the doors flapping like wings on a bird. Half of mine had been replaced with diffirent keys so I had a fist full of keys. I replaced the whole lot with non locking butterfly type handle catches only about 3 or 4 dollars they work great. Any RV outfit would have them. If you have a need to lock them any good lock smith will have key blanks and often have keys just by the number stamped on them. I would not store any thing of value in the hatches you can open them with a screw driver.