4cyl vs 6 cly

pamz

I am a mechanically challenged woman who's decided I just have to own one of these toyota rvs. I like them bcuz they are small. fuel efficient, and a good starting price point for figuring out just how much I will actually do some rv'ing.

My question is this; is there a performence difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder enigine/model? I was stuck on wanting a 6cyl as i thought it would have more power esp when going up steep grades or hills. but several people have told me this is not 'necessarily' true......and this is where the mechanically challenged part comes in.

any advice, experience or attempts at explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

in the world of moving, moving such huge masses one can do couple of things. increase horsepower/ bigger engine/ or change gear ratio instead of 4'10 go 4'88 or decrease tire size. 22 re is cheap and reliable and easy to find parts. 3.0 again easy to find parts 150 hp about 40 more hp then 22re. 3.0 has some headgasket issues it was recalled back in th 90's. nake sure head gasket was repaired by toyota. could save you a grand. either way these motors aren't gonna get you there fast. I think that you are aiming to get an automatic then i would say go get the v6. i have a auto on my 22re it was slow very slow but i converted to 5 speed vast improvement.

V6 is what you want. But if you can not find or wait for a V6 then make sure its a fuel injected 22r. Where you will notice the difference is with small grades as apposed to steep grades, head winds, acceleration getting on the freeway etc.. The 22r fuel injected will drop speed and have to shift down on slight grades far sooner and more than the V6. The bigger the coach and more weight the bigger you want the engine to be.

On a 400 mile drive the 4 cylinder will arrive about 15-30 min later depending on the hills.

Most 4 cylinder drivers plan to travel at the speed of smell. But they WILL get there.

thanks for all the responses. I am looking at an 86 and 87 sunrader, 4 cylinder. not sure if they are fuel inj or not. they are both automatics though :(

there are just so few of the newer model 6 cylinders around here and I can only travel so far to look at them!

geez i just hope I don't find them too slow.

My 4 cylinder will go 60mph just as fast as a 6 cylinder will go 60 mph. It may take 5 sec longer to get there, but once I'm there its no problem. So if your some place thats flat its OK. The only passing you will do with either one is if your on a 4 lane road

Ya gotta to remember that the Toys that your looking at have been tootling down the road for 20 years and haven't been run over yet :rolleyes:

thanks for all the responses. I am looking at an 86 and 87 sunrader, 4 cylinder. not sure if they are fuel inj or not. they are both automatics though :(

there are just so few of the newer model 6 cylinders around here and I can only travel so far to look at them!

geez i just hope I don't find them too slow.

I think the test drive is the key. You have to find both and test drive them even if its not one you really like. The 86 and 87 should both be fuel injected.

I live in a mountainous area. Yesterday I drove my V6 to work. On the way home there is a good freeway grade from Santa Cruz up to Scotts Valley. I was easily able to maintain 60 to 50 mph all the way up. But I had a clear road in front of me. What happens here is you can hit slow traffic and once you drop speed below 40 mph it is tuff to regain that speed up the mountain. The V6 recovers very well except for one grade. Much of it can come down to weight. Our previous 22r turbo engined Sunrader weighed in at 6800 pounds fully loaded and it was an 18 footer but with 4 wheel drive. It climbed the mountain well but not as good as the V6 Gulfstream. Our Gulfstream may actually be considerably lighter because of the type of construction. I have not had it weighed yet. Anyhow my point is when you get that thing all loaded up with all your stuff you just can't leave behind it will be way different than the test drive when empty. My preference for our needs was a V6 after having the turbo because any direction we travel is a mountain. We found our Gulfstream 200 miles away. Took 2 weekends to get it home. We went and bought it then the next weekend went up and drove it home. Had to buy new tires, fix an exhaust leak and get the tail lights working and replace the headlights.

Hi Pam:

I recently purchased a one owner !987 Gulfstream Conquest ToyHome, which was previously owned by a 72 year old mechanically inclined gentleman whom loved and faithfully maintained his ToyHome. But, due to his age, health, & current financial status this ToyHome went unused for one and a half years. Unused, and not maintained for only a short interval.

Currently this ToyHome is almost ready to hit the road / trail. All systems are sound and in working order. But, to arrive at this condition, I spent many leisurely hours of mechanical and electrical diagnosis and repair.

My cautionary note to you Miss Pam Whom Is Mechanically Challenged, is that these ToyHomes are getting Old, some are getting Tired, all need Tender Loving Mechanical Care for a second chance. If you are up to their challenges, they are up to yours in either 4 cyl. or 6 cyl. configurations.

If you choose to purchase a ToyHome, or any other older Class C Motor Home you will earn both your mechanical as well as electrical engineering degrees.