Chinook 4X4 Conversion

Haleth

Upon searching the discussion board over the past 4 years I have noticed that a lot of people have asked about turning a Chinook into a 4x4. I've noticed that nolan's 4x4 required chopping the frame yet others say it is just a simple swap. Seeing that I am looking into buying a chinook I am now curious.

Does anyone have any knowledge (not speculation) about what it takes to turn a chinook into a 4x4?

-If it really is as simple as replacing the longbed with the chinook coach, what years of toyota's allow for this?

-Are there any other possible conversions worth mentioning?

Sorry but all I have to offer is speculation. Having seen some chinooks I think the wheel base is the same, a tape measure will confim that. So find a same year truck 4x4 and move one to the other. It certainly will not be easy. Get the 4x4 parked next to the chinook, might even be easier to move the chinook to the 4x4. Hmmm a chinook to a 92 4x4 V6 and then do the solid front axle mod, that would be sweet!

Well hopefully Nolan is out there and will give some advice on how to build one of his show quality chinooks! IMG_0056_1_2_6_small.jpg Ya thats sweet!

SAS would be much better. IFS would be a huge pain in the behind. Dont know if any tanks or lines are in the way. My guess would be in the 2500 dollars range or more with everything

Parts needed

SAS from Marlin or Trail gear

http://www.trail-gear.com/sas.html

Gear driven Toyota Transfer case.

Could either do a tranny swap to G2 or W56 or R151 with gear driven case or get a divorced Adapter for Tcase

http://www.ottindustries.com/divorcetoyota.htm

Drive shaft mod to the rear and new CV Drive shaft to the front

Pre 85 Straight axle.

4x4 IFS steering box

New Cross member from junk yard or 4x4 Toyota Vendor

Gears for Diffs

not needed but would be nice

Vented Rotors with IFS Calipers

Brake Master cylinder with 1in bore

SAS would be much better. IFS would be a huge pain in the behind. Dont know if any tanks or lines are in the way. My guess would be in the 2500 dollars range or more with everything

Very thorough and certainly a lot more technical than I obviously can handle myself. I'll make sure to keep this post in mind when I finally have the money/time/knowledge to do a project such as this.

However, i'm sure there are other methods To make a 4x4 chinook and would love to get as many of them posted here onto one thread. Keep posting!

This is just my last attempt to make it so this post wont die.... I'm sure there are some people out there who have other ideas about putting a chinook coach onto a 4x4

the best web site to go to is pirates 4x4 or marlin crawler. 2wd toyotas get converted all the time. sas would be the easiest way. you do have to move the transmission mount because it is longer. good idea to have a donor vehicle as well but necessary. i am assuming that you have a toyota.

Upon searching the discussion board over the past 4 years I have noticed that a lot of people have asked about turning a Chinook into a 4x4. I've noticed that nolan's 4x4 required chopping the frame yet others say it is just a simple swap. Seeing that I am looking into buying a chinook I am now curious.

Does anyone have any knowledge (not speculation) about what it takes to turn a chinook into a 4x4?

-If it really is as simple as replacing the longbed with the chinook coach, what years of toyota's allow for this?

-Are there any other possible conversions worth mentioning?

Hey old friends, don't get on here much anymore, don't have my Toyhouse anymore due to a mishap, but still have my Chinook playtoys, the brown one gets out now and then for weekend getaways and car shows, the blue one just runnin around and a few shows too. But anyways on to the question at hand, I have seen the Chinook adapted to many different trucks over the years, personally I like the old original body style they came stock so thats why I kept with it.

You could swap it to most any later model Toy 4x4 truck or even other makes for that matter, but will need to come up with your own cosmetic seal around the cab/camper as the origianl no longer exists new. Mounting the camper is pretty straight forward but I would use a different design than the original wood block arrangement between the camper and frame, I built a steel "H" frame welded to the frame on mine and the camper sits on that, much stronger, better support, and allows more bolting options as the original floor is pretty skimpy where the bolts go through.

Without getting into a long winded how to do it post I'll just say its not that difficult to pull off if you can weld, fabricate, and just do general mechanic work. I can't comment on what needs what when using a later or different truck but if you wanted to stay with the old original body style be preparred for some work as its not a bolt on affair.

Heres a more recent pic of Blew,

IMG_0668_1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...