MPG on 92 Itasca

iadoptedatoy

Hi all

As some of you know, I sold my 85 Huntsman Toy and bought a 92 Itasca Toy. With the 85 we averaged around 14mpg ( 4cyl). We have just returned from our first trip in the 92 (6cyl) and only got 11mpg. I see things that are written about both and the mpg is higher then what we get. Are most people making their toy seem better than it is or is there something I can do to improve our mpg.

Thanks for any and all help,

Cathy

P.S.

Thanks to all of u who hepled in my stripe problem. My husband removed all the stripes and logos and replaced them himself and it looks brand new!

I have a 92 Winne some time ago I averaged about10 fill ups came to 13.75 appox last 5 were 15.10 14.08 12.78 15.14 12.75 haven't done anything special just normal tune ups. I have gotten as low as 11 maybe less with bad wind, I do use overdrive as much as possible real light throttle 60 to 65 and less on back roads.

You know what YMMV stands for?

There are more factors that affect fuel economy than you can shake a stick at.

Off the bat, you've got a V6. How are injectors, air filter, plugs, wires, transmission, torque converter? What is the differential gear ratio?

Are your brakes out of adjustment or in need of bleeding or rebuilding, and thus dragging?

What pressure are you running your tires at?

Are the wheel bearings too tight?

How much HP is being consumed by this truck's cab air conditioner, versus your old one?

What conditon is the O2 sensor in?

Have you ruled out vacuum leaks?

Have you done a compression test on all the cylinders?

Gas mileage when selling a motor home always gets better. Average is 11 to 16 with a rare few reporting higher. 11 is bad but not unusual but you should be up around 13 plus. Get some additive for your gas that cleans the injectors, get two for two tanks of gas. All the rest helps also, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Cap and rotor is a biggie as it does not take much corrosion to drop the voltage getting to the spark plugs. When you buy a new set male sure the rotor and cap both have copper instead of aluminum. You did not say what State you are in. In California we have to have a smog test done every two years and the results can actually be used to diagnose how the engine is running. If after a basic tune-up your mileage is still low you may want to search out a repair shop that can sample your exhaust and ignition. What they see helps greatly in the search for a problem that you would never find on your own. As bodybagger said the O2 sensor can throw things off but its $50 just to swap it out plus labor if you can not do it your self. Other things such as a plugged catalytic converter can really reduce gas mileage. Bodybagger also mentioned tire pressure, that's another biggie. If they are running low it really reduces gas mileage a bunch. You also did mention the type of terrain and altitude you were in. That can be another huge factor. High altitude mountain driving uses more gas. And, how much weight did you have stowed in the rig? Add up the passengers and estimate the other stuff like water, propane, groceries, the 53 little things you just had to take along stuffed in every little cubby hole.

Anyhow, things to think about!

• 8 months later...

Hi all

As some of you know, I sold my 85 Huntsman Toy and bought a 92 Itasca Toy. With the 85 we averaged around 14mpg ( 4cyl). We have just returned from our first trip in the 92 (6cyl) and only got 11mpg. I see things that are written about both and the mpg is higher then what we get. Are most people making their toy seem better than it is or is there something I can do to improve our mpg.

Thanks for any and all help,

Cathy

P.S.

Thanks to all of u who hepled in my stripe problem. My husband removed all the stripes and logos and replaced them himself and it looks brand new!

whenever I hear about "mileage" --- I note that a lot of people seem to be "challenged" computing mileage. I believe that One has to log all fuel & miles and average over many tanks of fuel. If a generator is used that needs to be factored in.

I went 14K miles and used 1k gallons. I drove a lot of highway at about 55 using OD almost all the time. I did drive a lot of forest roads and did the mountain passes.

Driving 65 will cost a lot -- not using the OD will hav a factor. OF course engine timing, useing ECT mode, etc all play in. Even how you drive -- aggressive accleration, late stops as in hard braking versus gradual accleration adn coasting to a stop plays in.

11mpg is too low - something is not adding up....