Was I Right to Walk Away?

blokeman

I've been looking for a Toyota for about 5 months and most that sound good are too far to travel from where I live (NH). This past weekend I drove 8 hours to see a '90 Odyssey 2.2 with 51K miles, which was asking $6,800. Mechanically it was sound and the interior was clean, the floor seemed solid, but the molding in front of the coach over the cab, on the passenger side leading edge had separated. I put my finger in the separation and came out with rotten wood chips on that outside wall. Also, the wood under the coach trailing edge moldings was rotting near the ground (molding had also separated.)

I've read elsewhere that if the wood in the coach over the cab has begun to rot, it's not economically fixable, so I walked (actually drove home another 8 hours.). :ranting2: Do you think that was the right decision for a unit at that price?

First thing's first. The 8 hour drive should not factor into your decision. I know it's hard to overcome the added pressure to have something to show for your trip, but it's something that we must do. The same way an empty stomach can influence your grocery shopping, so can distance during vehicle shopping.

Second. At that price, I don't think you should see signifcant water damage, much less the progression of rot.

Personally, I value the integrity of "the stuff that makes it go" over the condition of the coach because a mint coach is small consolation for being stuck beside the road. That said, I'd spend less time and money rebuilding the tranny than replacing rotted wood. But for someone with a wood shop instead of a fleet garage, the opposite would probably be true.

And finally. As with the last example, fixing one defect can be cheaper for person A than for person B. No one knows your budget, requirements, and handy skills better than you (or so we hope!) and therefore, no one is more qualified than you to decide when to walk away. If you got in your car and drove 8 hours after seeing it, I'm sure you made the right choice.

When it comes right down to it, the decision to walk has a recision period. Maybe a day. Maybe a month. As long as it is still for sale, you can change your mind. But the decison to buy is one that has no takebacks.

He who walks away has the money to shop another day!

Thanks for the response. I can do woodwork, but the roof won't clear my garage, so all of it would have to be done outdoors and I would have liked to use the vehicle before autumn. The alternative would have been to give it to a the local RV shop, but not knowing how much it would cost and whether they would tackle it put me off. There's bound to be another one out there--

i wud have used it as a bargining chip....he was ask'n $6800 u stess the rotten wood ...i just got a 1980 up here in canada for 1500 less because of a water leak...if u want one of these things u gotta take the plunge....the rot wudn't thrill me... but the mech cond wud have sold it for me....mine runs like a top so far....but it has the orig puny 5 bolt half ton axle...f%^k !! i gotta keep it lite....

i wud have used it as a bargining chip....he was ask'n $6800 u stess the rotten wood ...i just got a 1980 up here in canada for 1500 less because of a water leak...if u want one of these things u gotta take the plunge....the rot wudn't thrill me... but the mech cond wud have sold it for me....mine runs like a top so far....but it has the orig puny 5 bolt half ton axle...f%^k !! i gotta keep it lite....

After a week, the seller called me back and offered it at $5K. Sooo, I took pics down to my local RV repair shop and they quoted replacing the wood and resealing the roof for around $750. Long story short, I took a bus for 10 hours and bought it. It handled well and got 16.5 mpg on the way back, so once I get the roof and cosmetic issues fixed, I think I have a winner. :)

Blokeman,

Long stories are perfectly acceptable here! I want to hear more about the trip home. Did you give the little Odyssey a name? Do you have pictures??

shanda

Thanks Shanda and Dianne for the kind words of encouragement. I just dropped it off at the RV place and they're saying it'll be ready week after next, it should be done-including repainting the cab. (The paint's pretty thin and since it was parked near a beach, the dings are beginning to rust)

The trip from Delaware to NH took 9.5 hours but I never drove much over 55. I'm sure everything said about gas mileage and how you drive is accurate. The previous owner claimed 13-15 mpg, but he said he had no problem driving it at 65.

I've attached the pic I took to the RV dealer for a quote, I don't have any of the inside yet. I'm planning to put in a wood (pergo-like) floor and reupholster, so I'll take pics along the way.

post-2951-1248538182_thumb.jpg