Antenna Platform

I just put together an antenna platform for the top of our RV. I did not want to screw down several brackets and I wanted to permanently have 5 antenna mounts. A Ham uhf vhf, GMRS, and CB which will always be there and two others, one being a mount for a HF screwdriver type that I can remove when moving and another 3/8 thread mount for hamsticks etc.

I built it completely out of aluminum. I used an old road work sign for the sheeting and some 1 inch by 1 inch square tubing available at home depot. I cut two lengths of sheeting 6 inches wide. The sign was 48 inches so I needed two. I mounted the platform via the sides, screwed into the upper roofs framing instead of into the top. So I bent the ends of the sheeting into a 90 degree bend. The sheeting is pop riveted to the tubing. I also added some tubing on the ends on the down part of the sheeting and added some gussets to the corners. I built it so that it sits about 6 inches off the roof. The only place I really had to mount it at at the rear which works out as I will be able to climb the ladder and screw on the hf antenna when parked. There are som more pics in the gallery http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.ph...m&album=179

gallery_1_179_974.jpggallery_1_179_28827.jpggallery_1_179_73730.jpggallery_1_179_27616.jpggallery_1_179_224561.jpggallery_1_179_141740.jpg

Greg, you certainly do nice work! Looks like a nice clean installation. You must be a Peoples Person: Administrator of this site, Ham Radio Operator, and an Inventor/Fabricator whom passes on useful information to the public domain.

• 4 years later...

Hi Mike

It's lag bolted through the brackets that straddle the sides. You can see the brackets in one of the pics before I drilled the holes. My framing is square tube aluminum and the lags screw into the top roof frame through the side. Hope that makes sense. I have a plastic conduit that runs from underneath the coach up the back along side the ladder. I bring the coaxes up through the bottom into the cargo space under the rear dinette seat next to the refrigerator. I can then pull them out to the table for HF rig connection. I have a Yaesu 8800 under the dinette seat with cat 5 cable running up to the cab for the remote head and speaker. I can easily also remote it to the table if needed. I plan at some time to put in an access door from the outside to the cargo space under the seat, that way I will be able to setup outside if needed. I use anderson powerpole for all my power connections so everything is interchangeable.