What radio do you recommend

mmtoy1

I have an 87 Sunrader with what looks to be an after market radio but nothing was cut to put it in. The thing is it is cassett and I want a CD player. Can anyone recommend a radio with a cd I can put in without cutting up the truck. I dont need anything fancy just am, fm and a CD player.

mm

Most of the newer radios are DIN mounts and will fit fine. I would buy the connector kit to match the radio to the Toyota they are about $15 simple plug in real easy most car radio stores have them. I have a JVC with remote control I love it I can operate the radio from the coach.

Are you satisfied with your current radio's FM & AM reception? I have recently ordered a Griffin cassette adapter for my cassette player, which I will attach to my iPod. I hope that this combination will give me weeks of uninterrupted music. If the cassette adapter route doesn't work for me, I will remove the existing radio and have a jack attached to directly wire input from my MP3 player. Then I will simply replace the same radio package into the dash and then plug my iPod into this new jack. Or if you select to go with a new CD Player, purchase one with a jack for iPod, MP3 Player capabilities.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/fall-2005-cassette-tape-adapter-shootout" target="_blank">http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/e...dapter-shootout</a>

I hope the attached link supplies helpful information about various Cassette Adapters Performances.

Thanks I think I will go with one of those adapters since I am satisfied with the stereo in the camper and I did not want to spend a lot on a new set up. That adapter is just what I need I see where you can hook it to a disc man player and play cds also. I get books on cds from the local library and I like to listen to them when I drive far it really passes the time.

thanks again

mm

Thanks I think I will go with one of those adapters since I am satisfied with the stereo in the camper and I did not want to spend a lot on a new set up. That adapter is just what I need I see where you can hook it to a disc man player and play cds also. I get books on cds from the local library and I like to listen to them when I drive far it really passes the time.

thanks again

mm

Go to crutchfield.com

T.A.J.

I chose a Griffin SmartDeck model because I will be able to use my radio controls to shuffle my iPod Nano MP3 Player, I am unaware of this units capability to control a portable disk player. but if I were to use a portable Disc Man I would probable choose a Monster iCarPlay model over Sony CPA-9C , only because of current price availability.

See attached links for Monster iCarPlay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monster-Cable-Car-Cassette-Adaptor-MP3-CD-iPod-iPhone_W0QQitemZ200337221115QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item2ea50765fb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Monster-Cable-Car-Cass...%3A1%7C294%3A50</a>

or also:

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=monster+cassette+adapter&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=sony+cpa-9c+cassette+adapter&_osacat=0" target="_blank">http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=monster+c...r&_osacat=0</a>

If you wire your Disc Man's power supply to a fused power source only, On in Accessory or Run position, you will not need to turn off your Disc Man Player every time you depart the vehicle, as might be the case using the cigar lighter port for power. You could simply use disposable batteries but if you enjoy using the sound system be prepared to pay dearly for all those disposable batteries. Hope this helps rather than confuse you. Michael

PS. Whichever model you choose, please be certain that it has a cut out in the corner to relieve pressure on the cable. or that it can easily be disassembled to enable the wire to be positioned in another position which will not bind when you choose to eject.

Edited by gmichaelz

We got a 50 dollar Dual (generic Wal-mart brand).

It does am/fm/CD/MP3CD's and has a 1/8" stereo aux port for an MP3 player and a UBB charging only port.

Pros: cheap. good reception. plays various devices. rotary encoder volume is better than up/down button.

Cons: Stupid bright distracting blue light is blinding and there is no way to dim it, so we have duct tape over it when driving at night. It's designed to impress stupid teenagers as a higher priority than safety. Bad engineering as expected from China.

Cannot charge an MP3 player while it is plugged into the aux port as the USB ground is 5 volts from the stereo aux ground. Causes a massive ground loop and kills the audio. Will work with a ground loop isolation transformer. Again, engineering is not something the end-user should have to do.

Cannot use the rotary encoder to change anything but the volume - which is stupid.

It only shows the time when the radio is off, or for a few seconds after pressing clock. Apparently Americans need to be constantly reminded that they are listening to AUX and we need to take our hands of the wheel and find a button on the radio to see what time it is. The person that designed it that way should be dragged into an alley and shot. Three of my four cats could have engineered the display better.

Unfortunately the next radio up was 150. I will open it and put a dropping resitor in the LED circuit in front to bring the light down. I will also use a ground loop isolator. Can't fix the clock and tuning issue as that is in the firmware.

I yanked out the aftermarket radio and replaced it with a Toyota set from Ebay. I was able to get one that has cassette and CD. If I ever get modern and go MP3, I will get one of the adapters for that input.

Since the radio wiring had been butchered off for the prior installation, I had to go to Pic-n-pull for the Toyota radio plug.

Replaced all the speakers and added a powered subwoofer. Sounds quite good.

Once I figured out how to correctly tap into the dash lights, the radio lights even work.

One of these days soon, we want to replace the radio in our cab too. It is am/fm/cassette with not to great sound and when we turn on the truck lights, no radio. Somebody must have got the wires crossed. It would be nice to be able to hear news or music at night.

Dianne '84 Dolphin