what generator to buy?

What do you want to run with it??

The "normal" unit for a late model Toy is an ONAN 2800 Microlite, be prepared to spend $$.

Well thats sort the question, what is the JOB you want it to do????

Okay fair enough, just enough for my weekend warrior needs, which In other words bare f*kin minimum :) I'm pretty handy so I could weld a mount on an aftermarket, etc. But I'd just like to know what's available first b4 I go overboard., I'd run basic stuff, recharging batteries(if u call that basic) and a\c, I'm not that hardcore yet. what are you guys running? And are the dolphin, and other rv"s very similar in generator compartments or are they all different? <br />Thanks guys

Edited by thetoyotadude

Except for AC and a TV (if you must) there is really no need to run 110 for anything. We go camping for 3-4 days not connected. While the RV has a 30 amp service, we have run air off 15 amp with no issues. The fridge uses very little propane and we never switch it to electric. Stove is propane and the only 12V draw is the lights. The house battery is isolated so you are never going to run down the starting battery.

Okay fair enough, just enough for my weekend warrior needs, which In other words bare f*kin minimum :) I'm pretty handy so I could weld a mount on an aftermarket, etc. But I'd just like to know what's available first b4 I go overboard., I'd run basic stuff, recharging batteries(if u call that basic) and a\c, I'm not that hardcore yet. what are you guys running? And are the dolphin, and other rv"s very similar in generator compartments or are they all different? <br />Thanks guys

If you need to run the A/C figure 2800 watts to run every thing If you don't need the A/C you can get by with a lot less. Toaster oven maybe 1500 watts TV's,DVD' very little power. So just figure out what you absolute have to have and go from there. A good gadget to have is a Kill A Watt Meter they are pretty cheap ($15) you just plug in the meter and what you think you might want to take with you and add up the wattage. You can plug in your entire MH (with out the A/C running) and check it out that way too.

The Onan is probaly the only one that can be bought with a propane fuel setup. BUT the gasoline Onan is rated at 2800w the propane version is only 2500 w. Propane generators also cost more.

IF your willing to down size your A/C to a 9000 btu unit, then a Honda 2000 would run the A/C OR the microwave, just not at the same time. The Onan 2800 will run the factory 13,500 BTU A/C or the Microwave, but not at the same time. The Onan 2800 would run the 9000 BTU A/C and a small microwave at the same time.

Mine has a 2500 watt Kohler which is noisy and not to smooth with a low load if it ever goes out, I'm thinking of the Honda 2000 which is not designed for the compartment, but building a slide out and store it in the same compartment, I have the 9000 BTU AC

(Newbie question) how do u know if u have the 13000btu a\c or not, I have a coleman rooftop ac, no manual came with my rig. And also not to drag this on too much but is there a difference in reliability between propane and gas generators? Nit picky I am...but I always like to be an expert on what I'm dealing with thanks guys

The Onan is probaly the only one that can be bought with a propane fuel setup. BUT the gasoline Onan is rated at 2800w the propane version is only 2500 w. Propane generators also cost more.

IF your willing to down size your A/C to a 9000 btu unit, then a Honda 2000 would run the A/C OR the microwave, just not at the same time. The Onan 2800 will run the factory 13,500 BTU A/C or the Microwave, but not at the same time. The Onan 2800 would run the 9000 BTU A/C and a small microwave at the same time.

Tom,

Does the 9000BTU unit cool your motorhome well? I'm thinking of getting one to replace the present unit on my '85 Dolphin.

John

John The 9000 BTU Ac on a 21 foot unit if its really hot 100deg its borderline but it only pulls about 9 amps I did paint the roof white its a 92 Winnie with the alumunin roof it helped. Altitude has a effect on generators where I go its anywhere 4000 to 9000 if you do the math it derates them a lot, so I'm glad that it doesn't pull to many amps.

hi,

i just dropped my 94 toy winnebago warrior off at this guy i found who rebuilds generators and installs them. recommended through a local generator store.... so i thought he would be able to get me dialed in for $1500 total. when i arrived, he told me that the gen he was go ing to put in my mh was too big., much rigmarole later: i have choosed the onan rqv 2800. he told me it will fit. he also recommended a generac..... he said that one was a 2800 but smaller. not sure of the price on the generac. i choose to go with a more known name the onan with the 3 yr warranty. but boy does it cost: $2400 just for the generator and then you need the accoutremonts.... so i will let you what i am into it for in the end.

• 1 month later...

hi,

i just dropped my 94 toy winnebago warrior off at this guy i found who rebuilds generators and installs them. recommended through a local generator store.... so i thought he would be able to get me dialed in for $1500 total. when i arrived, he told me that the gen he was go ing to put in my mh was too big., much rigmarole later: i have choosed the onan rqv 2800. he told me it will fit. he also recommended a generac..... he said that one was a 2800 but smaller. not sure of the price on the generac. i choose to go with a more known name the onan with the 3 yr warranty. but boy does it cost: $2400 just for the generator and then you need the accoutremonts.... so i will let you what i am into it for in the end.

I just purchased a second Toyota motorhome. I had a 92 Dolphin years ago and sold it for a 79 Airstream Motorhome and rehab it completely. One thing the Airstream had was a genset. The one thing it didn't have was ease of handling! But I miss the generator. I now live in TX (moved from MN) so the A/C is pretty important with two large dogs in the back. I just got a quote for a Onan gen and all the parts for $4050 and that did not include installation which he won't quote until he sees the Toy. What did you spend when it was all done? I have the compartment for the gen does that mean behind it is a easy way to hook up a generator?

One thing you guys need to think about is running the generator in the compartment. The Onan and the Koller are designed to run in an enclosed area no fuel tank to fill, heat removal and an exhaust that is out side of the MH. They are also hard wired to the MH and have provisions for a transfer switch of some sort. This of course is a moot point if you buy a generator that you take out and put on the ground it's just that very few are designed to run in a box. If you can afford it the Onan can't be beat.

Mine has a 2500 watt Kohler which is noisy and not to smooth with a low load if it ever goes out, I'm thinking of the Honda 2000 which is not designed for the compartment, but building a slide out and store it in the same compartment, I have the 9000 BTU AC

Have you built your slide out yet. If so would love to see pictures. It sounds like a great idea in using a GEN that is not made to run in the enclosed area.

(Newbie question) how do u know if u have the 13000btu a\c or not, I have a coleman rooftop ac, no manual came with my rig. And also not to drag this on too much but is there a difference in reliability between propane and gas generators? Nit picky I am...but I always like to be an expert on what I'm dealing with thanks guys

I also have a coleman but do not know the size. My motorhome is a 1985 Escaper. I have not yet found any marking to indicate size.

• 3 weeks later...

The generator I bought was 3000 watts and produce pure sine wave

perfect current good enough for electronics. Expensive at

$2800 bucks but I wanted to access internet with computers

etc. It also would not fit compartment so I mounted in

on a hitch hauler that plugs into my receiver trailer

mount at rear of camper. They call my type of generator

"direct current inverter" types

Have you guy tried a Cummings diesel dealer for your Onan? I bought a 5,500 watt for a friend's big rv about 4 years ago for $2,870.00 brand new in the crate. Cummings owns Onan.

• 2 weeks later...

So my old boss gave me a brand new generator for free that I couldn't pass up. I know it won't fit as is, and that it can't run in that tiny space for cooling purposes, however. Where there's a will there's a way! Pic up a cheap generator from a Costco for under 500 bucks. Cut it down to the bare minimum for less weight and smaller size (remove upper framing). Slightly expand the compartment if possible (mine has extra room under the booth seat in the Sun Land Express). Ditch the gas tank and get a line going from the gas tank like you would for an Onan.

Sure you can't run it while driving, but it's stored, not hanging off the back, and ready to pull out and run. Sure it's ghetto, but cheap! Seriously, why spend 3 grand on something you'll barely use.

• 13 years later...

I have a 1992 Toyota Winnebago wire 21RB model

Generator is missing driver side front lower compartment has a pretty good size area where the original generator was. Can anyone tell me what generator may have been there or what generator that I can purchase and replace the one that’s missing I’ve read a lot of your threads about the Onan or the Generac and also the cooler I would imagine the AC is a 13,500 unit which was pretty common with these Toyota Winnebagos. Thanks for your help in any tips. 

IMG_8108.jpeg

Your original generator was a Kohler 2500 and your air conditioner was a Coleman Mini Mach 7100BTU's model. 

Onan is pretty much your only choice for an RV generator. Trouble is any air conditioner or generator you buy today will be much bigger. A larger AC unit will fit but the generator is questionable.

Linda S

Im installing a Onan 2500Lp in a Toyota1993 Warrior today that we just bought.This is the second warrior i have installed an Onan in.They just fit! The original Kohler in the first Mh was a poor design.It couldnt start the microwave.T,he Kolher fell out of the Mh on a trip to the UP.The Onan I replaced it with was gas,they need more maintenance on the carbs and cannot be rebuilt.Since the rv we just bought never had a generator I need to run propane lines and 12v and 120v lines.This is not a easy job,but when we stop along Lk Superior to make lunch and its raining out,I push a button and we have power.You dont need transfer switch.The Onans are great generators I got lucky.the day after We purchased Toyota #2 the Onan2500 showed up inFB for $450.I have a soft spot for Onan, they offered me a job in their technical department in 1978

I have a 1992 Toyota Winnebago wire 21RB model

Generator is missing driver side front lower compartment has a pretty good size area where the original generator was. Can anyone tell me what generator may have been there or what generator that I can purchase and replace the one that’s missing I’ve read a lot of your threads about the Onan or the Generac and also the cooler I would imagine the AC is a 13,500 unit which was pretty common with these Toyota Winnebagos. Thanks for your help in any tips. 

Thank You All for your response and help!