New rv owners - 1988 Dolphin water pump questions :)

delcarlo

Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this site, you all seem really friendly and helpful, I hope you guys can help us out :) We just bought a 1988 Toyota Dolphin 22R and while my husband is a car mechanic, we have some RV type questions.

We filled up the water tank, like we were instructed by the previous owner. After it was full, it started leaking from under the RV... we haven't dropped the tanks yet, but I'm assuming we might have to replace something... does anyone know around how much those cost?

When does the water pump run? Does it run consistently while you're using the sink/shower? As of right now, when we flip the pump switch, nothing happens - does it need to be plugged in or attached to a generator to run?

We're completely new to the RV experience... sorry if these seem like silly questions, but I really appreciate the help :)

Thanks much!

Are you sure the tank drain valve is not open it drains to the outside underneath. The pump should run if you have just refilled it there is an internal switch that senses water pressure and shuts off when there is no water demand. There is not need to plug it in it runs off the coach battery. Very simple wiring a ground and a power feed from the switch to the pump and the pressure switch on the pump is right there, should have power both sides if there is no pressure.

Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this site, you all seem really friendly and helpful, I hope you guys can help us out :) We just bought a 1988 Toyota Dolphin 22R and while my husband is a car mechanic, we have some RV type questions.

We filled up the water tank, like we were instructed by the previous owner. After it was full, it started leaking from under the RV... we haven't dropped the tanks yet, but I'm assuming we might have to replace something... does anyone know around how much those cost?

When does the water pump run? Does it run consistently while you're using the sink/shower? As of right now, when we flip the pump switch, nothing happens - does it need to be plugged in or attached to a generator to run?

We're completely new to the RV experience... sorry if these seem like silly questions, but I really appreciate the help :)

Thanks much!

Find the drain valve for the fresh water tank and make sure it is not open. It is usually located outside the RV on the exterior wall adjacent to the tank which makes it an unlikely place for a leak that appears under the RV. If it is closed take the sofa off the wood frame if your water tank is underneath it. There are wood screws through brackets at both ends that are hard to see that attach it to the wood frame. A drill with a magnetic attachment and long phillips bit will give you enough length to reach the screws. When you remove the sofa you will be able to inspect the tank and lines for leaks. If it only leaks when you are filling it up it could be that the filler line is cracked, which can be replaced. You can purchase this line at an RV dealer.

The water pump should only turn on when the water is turned on some where, even though the power switch is on. When the RV is not plugged in the water pump runs off 12 Volts.

Edited by jamesdalbright