Refridgerator heating coils

A question on the toyota-campers group regarding the repair of the 120 volt ac side of a refer. Not sure if mine is the same model or not. There are two coils in mine, a 12 vdc and a 120 vac. The 12vdc one can be identified by the slide on terminal on its side. The 120vac one has the wires feeding directly into it with no terminals.

One way to check it without taking everything apart is to pull the plug and test the resistance across the plugs prongs. It should basically show a short. If it acts like its open (no continuity) then the coil or the selector switch is bad. The next step would be to locate the correct coil. They are inside a sheet metal cylinder. There are some tabs that must be bent out in order to open the cylinder. That will expose the coils. Locate the one without the side terminal and trace the wires. You will have to check continuity of the coil, if its good then you have a bad selector switch, etc. There is a measurement of resistance in ohms the coil should have but I do not know that value.

Hope that helps

Greg

refercoil1.jpg

refercoil2.jpg