Who sells 14r 185 load d tires??

The shop is having trouble locating tires for replacement, is there a site or distributor the board uses? Also having the tranny extension housin bushing inspected transmision rebuild 150 miles ago but warrant not transferrable gonna see if I can pay for it tho. When I drive it home can I do so leagally with their tags and regestration. While title is already signed in my name and temp INS id number?? Also in my name

There are a lot of posts about tires on this site. I bought mine through a web site called tires-easy.com. They have several options to choose from and ship directly to your home in just a few days.

Seamus McShank

The shop is having trouble locating tires for replacement, is there a site or distributor the board uses?

Tire Rack is one. You can check on the net for 185/14R load range D tires. Brands that come to mind are Sumitomo, Goodyear, etc. Do a google search for other brands.

When I drive it home can I do so leagally with their tags and regestration. While title is already signed in my name and temp INS id number?? Also in my name

Not unless you have at least temporary tags. They are inexpensive and can usually be purchased at a BMV near where you purchase.

John H

We are redoing a 83 Sunrader, we could not locate tires in Alabama. Found them online in Fresno, CA. They were the correct tires and had six shipped for 389.00 total, 279.60 for the tires and 109.40 freight. 185R14C Wramg;er JT BSL Here is the name: Goodguys Tire Centers #20, 2478 S. Golden State BLVD, Fresno CA. 559-498-7700. Hope this is what you are looking for.

MAC AND LISA

The shop is having trouble locating tires for replacement, is there a site or distributor the board uses?

Tire Rack is one. You can check on the net for 185/14R load range D tires. Brands that come to mind are Sumitomo, Goodyear, etc. Do a google search for other brands.

When I drive it home can I do so leagally with their tags and regestration. While title is already signed in my name and temp INS id number?? Also in my name

Not unless you have at least temporary tags. They are inexpensive and can usually be purchased at a BMV near where you purchase.

John H

I just got new tires for my 77 Chinook today (same size). I found www.tires-easy.com had by far the biggest selection (11 different tires that fit including 5 all season options). It was reasonable to have them shipped, but instead I called up Discount Tire (same as America's Tires) and found they could order the ones I wanted, Hankook RA08, and got them to match the tires-easy.com price. So I pay sales tax instead of shipping and I get a nationwide warranty and flat repair.

- Stewart

We are redoing a 83 Sunrader, we could not locate tires in Alabama. Found them online in Fresno, CA. They were the correct tires and had six shipped for 389.00 total, 279.60 for the tires and 109.40 freight. 185R14C Wramg;er JT BSL Here is the name: Goodguys Tire Centers #20, 2478 S. Golden State BLVD, Fresno CA. 559-498-7700. Hope this is what you are looking for.

MAC AND LISA

MacLisa

You are quoting a C load range tire. With a C you have 2 plys on the bottom and only 1 ply on the sides, and with so much weight of these motorhomes any swaying puts the extra stress on the side walls. Load range D is the only way to go because it has 2 plys on the side and 2 on the bottom. Don't listen to salesmen who tell you an LT or C range is ok, match up the load rating of the tire and compare it with the weight on the rear axle. A 21' rig weighs 6,000 lbs or more and 4,000 or more is on the rear axle. I replaced the original C tires with D and the handling firmed up a lot and the C's I took off had stress cracks on the side walls even though they had less than 5,000 miles on them when I bought my Sunrader.

Seamus McShank

MacLisa

I misspoke a little yesterday. 6 ply C's have 4 on the bottom and 2 on the sides, 8 ply D's have an extra 2 ply on the side making it much stronger. My point was correct, I just needed another cup of coffee to untangle my brain.

McShank

I found some Firestone D range tires that fit (185 14), I think they may have been made for commercial use or trailering. They are D range and are not mud and snow, but ride okay and they where cheap. Tire rack had a set of Yokohamas that looked like a nice tire also, I think they where 195 75 M+S load range D. I think they are a discontinued model.

• 4 weeks later...

It takes a bit of calling around, but I have been able to find them on the road, as they are often used on trailers. However stay away from Bridgestone (same as Firestone)thumbdown.gif When I converted my 1978 16' Dolphin from single to dually, I installed a set of 4 Bridgestone, Load Range "D". NONE of them died a natural death. After the first one blew out at freeway speed, I started inspecting them often. I discovered that the warning sign was when the steel strands started to sprout through the tread, like it was growing a beard.

Patch

Bought range D Yokohamas from Americas Tires or also called Discount Tires. I think the shops are all over the country and yokohamas are a world wide trusted brand. Any yokohama dealer should be able to order me one if I need on a trip. We have 7 brand new and our spare fits front and back.

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/home.do

Today, I sank $529 on six brand new 185R14 tires at a local tire shop. This included tax, mounting, disposal fee and balancing. They're 8 ply and made by "Westlake". The shop guys put 65 psi in the tires and it made the ride really hard. My Winnebago owner's manual calls for 28 psi all around but this makes the tires look underinflated. What tire pressures do others people out there use for their tires?

Hi MMJ,

We bought some Yokohama Y356 185/R14 D tires recently and the recommended tire pressures were:

Back Tires: 65 psi

Front Tires: 29 psi

Haven't taken The Little Puppy out on the road with the new tires, but around town the ride is smooth and doesn't seem to be too hard. We like the new tires!

Charles & Dianne '84 Dolphin

Today, I sank $529 on six brand new 185R14 tires at a local tire shop. This included tax, mounting, disposal fee and balancing. They're 8 ply and made by "Westlake". The shop guys put 65 psi in the tires and it made the ride really hard. My Winnebago owner's manual calls for 28 psi all around but this makes the tires look underinflated. What tire pressures do others people out there use for their tires?

28 psi is for a standard truck, not a truck with a motorhome coach on it. Your owners manual was written for a standard pickup. There are no Toyota truck owners manuals for our toy motorhomes. 55 to 65 is where the range D tire should be for the rear. The front I like to have 45 psi. When you hit a pot hole or lets just say an impact you have all the weight of the coach pushing against that impact even on the front. Its called G Force, has to do with the direction the mass is moving. The G Force on the front tire is far less with an empty pickup than with 5000 to 7000 pounds behind it. Nitrogen is being used in tires because it compresses less than air. But isn't air 80% nitrogen? Here is a link about such use, not only in racing tires but also other vehicles. http://www.getnitrogen.org/ and here http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/car-advic...nitrogen_a1.asp

28 psi is for a standard truck, not a truck with a motorhome coach on it. Your owners manual was written for a standard pickup. There are no Toyota truck owners manuals for our toy motorhomes. 55 to 65 is where the range D tire should be for the rear. The front I like to have 45 psi. When you hit a pot hole or lets just say an impact you have all the weight of the coach pushing against that impact even on the front. Its called G Force, has to do with the direction the mass is moving. The G Force on the front tire is far less with an empty pickup than with 5000 to 7000 pounds behind it. Nitrogen is being used in tires because it compresses less than air. But isn't air 80% nitrogen? Here is a link about such use, not only in racing tires but also other vehicles. http://www.getnitrogen.org/ and here http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/car-advic...nitrogen_a1.asp

Charles, Diane and Greg,

Thanks for your replies. Here's a picture of the tag on the inside over of my "Winnebago Motorhome Operations Manual" and see what you get out of it. It appears to call for 28 psi all around with GVWR of 6000 lbs. To me, 28 does seem very low. With 65 lbs of air in the tires, it's a hard ride. Maybe I'll try 45 to 50 psi and see.

Michael

post-2855-1247965398_thumb.jpg

The shop is having trouble locating tires for replacement, is there a site or distributor the board uses? Also having the tranny extension housin bushing inspected transmision rebuild 150 miles ago but warrant not transferrable gonna see if I can pay for it tho. When I drive it home can I do so leagally with their tags and regestration. While title is already signed in my name and temp INS id number?? Also in my name

Hey, I just had six 185R14, 8 ply, load range D installed at American Car Care here in Bozeman Mt.

Tires are made by Hankook. Good tread design and made a world of difference in the ride.

$91.00 each, installed. I highly recommend.

T.A.J.

Charles, Diane and Greg,

Thanks for your replies. Here's a picture of the tag on the inside over of my "Winnebago Motorhome Operations Manual" and see what you get out of it. It appears to call for 28 psi all around with GVWR of 6000 lbs. To me, 28 does seem very low. With 65 lbs of air in the tires, it's a hard ride. Maybe I'll try 45 to 50 psi and see.

Michael

Two things to watch or feel for, make sure there is plenty of space between the dual tires, they should not even come close to touching each other. The other is heat build up. To low of pressure will cause a tire to create heat as the side wall flexes. On a hot day with red hot pavement it could be a problem. As to the optimum pressure I really have no idea. I suppose the proper way would be to weigh each tire or tire set and call the manufacturer and ask what the pressure(s) should be. We are all actually guessing, and ride comfort really has nothing to do with tire wear and safety.

We just got back from a 250 mile roundtrip to Stinson Beach and got 18 mpg. This is an improvement over the 16/17 mpg we used to get before we got the new tires. I decided to put 50 psi in the back and 40 in front after being convinced by Charles and Greg to add more psi to the tires. I used to have 30 psi all around. The ride was a lot softer than 65 psi the tire shop used. This website is an awfully useful resource for Toyota motorhomes. Thanks to you all.

Now only if I can figure out why my vehicle shakes intermittentlly aroiund 60 mph. The tires are new and were balanced at the tire shop. Could it be worn shocks?

Michael

Well my plate also call for 28psi and also mentions the weight of the motorhome. Some say go by the tires, and others say go by the truck manufacturer's guide, who knows? I have been running 40/45psi just to in between the 55psi people and the 30 psi on the plate ha ha.

I did notice one thing and until now I do not know if anyone has mentioned it, the width of the rear axle and front axle are different. On mine the rear dually axle is much wider than the front axle and I believe that is why there is what I would call driving conditions. Add the fact I have the bags in the rear and it is a little bit jacked up, and I think it explains the sluggish handling and the vibrations at different speeds, but again who knows? This is a reach but I wonder what would happen if the front fender wells where to be flared, and a wider axle placed up front to match the rear.

Michael

When you find out abut the shaking let me know mine does too

Thanks

GaryN

Gary,

I am about to replace the shocks which look rather old and see if that will take away the shake. I'll keep you informed.

Michael

Well my plate also call for 28psi and also mentions the weight of the motorhome. Some say go by the tires, and others say go by the truck manufacturer's guide, who knows? I have been running 40/45psi just to in between the 55psi people and the 30 psi on the plate ha ha.

I did notice one thing and until now I do not know if anyone has mentioned it, the width of the rear axle and front axle are different. On mine the rear dually axle is much wider than the front axle and I believe that is why there is what I would call driving conditions. Add the fact I have the bags in the rear and it is a little bit jacked up, and I think it explains the sluggish handling and the vibrations at different speeds, but again who knows? This is a reach but I wonder what would happen if the front fender wells where to be flared, and a wider axle placed up front to match the rear.

Robert,

What make is your motorhome. I don't have a plate on the door jam but have one on the inside cover of the owner's manual calling for 28 psi. I want to call Winnebago and get a clarification on this. From what I've read on the internet, they recommend using the manufacturer's tire pressure rather than the maximum allowable pressure on the tire. I am now all confused.....

Michael

• 8 months later...

MAXXIS tires (cheng Sin or something like that from China)

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/UE-168N-Bravo-Series.aspx