Just bought 88 sunrader classic. Newbie questions

Hi,

We have Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service and have been very pleased with it (this is our 2nd year to use it). Get online and do a search for RV ERS and read what others have and if they are pleased or not. Good Sam usually has a reduced price for the first year so check them out.

A 1,200 mile maiden voyage is a BIG one! Definitely have your rig checked by a very good mechanic (unless you are skilled in this area) so you don't have any awful surprises that could make your trip a really bad memory. :waaa: You must and I mean MUST check your tires! If you see any weather checking on the sidewalls, they must be retired (pun intended!). The manufacture date of each tire should be on the sidewall, so that will tell you how old the tire actually is. Unless the previous owner very recently replaced them, you will most likely be looking at having to get new tires (don't forget about the spare tire). This is a major safety issue so don't overlook it. There is a lot of tire info on this forum, find it and read it and many questions will be answered for you.

You will most likely need to stock your Toy with sheets, light blanket(s), pillows, towels/wash cloths, personal items (razor, soap, etc.) Food, dishes, glasses, forks, spoons, knives, pots/pans, cooking utensils, coffee pot . . . goodness, the list could go on and on; just depends on what you need and want and have the time to gather up before your trip. You will find out what you need and don't need as you travel so make a list. Look for Walmart as you travel for shopping needs.

Hope your maiden voyage goes well and you enjoy yourself and your Toy! B)

Dianne '84 Dolphin

Hi,

We have Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service and have been very pleased with it (this is our 2nd year to use it). Get online and do a search for RV ERS and read what others have and if they are pleased or not. Good Sam usually has a reduced price for the first year so check them out.

A 1,200 mile maiden voyage is a BIG one! Definitely have your rig checked by a very good mechanic (unless you are skilled in this area) so you don't have any awful surprises that could make your trip a really bad memory. :waaa: You must and I mean MUST check your tires! If you see any weather checking on the sidewalls, they must be retired (pun intended!). The manufacture date of each tire should be on the sidewall, so that will tell you how old the tire actually is. Unless the previous owner very recently replaced them, you will most likely be looking at having to get new tires (don't forget about the spare tire). This is a major safety issue so don't overlook it. There is a lot of tire info on this forum, find it and read it and many questions will be answered for you.

You will most likely need to stock your Toy with sheets, light blanket(s), pillows, towels/wash cloths, personal items (razor, soap, etc.) Food, dishes, glasses, forks, spoons, knives, pots/pans, cooking utensils, coffee pot . . . goodness, the list could go on and on; just depends on what you need and want and have the time to gather up before your trip. You will find out what you need and don't need as you travel so make a list. Look for Walmart as you travel for shopping needs.

Hope your maiden voyage goes well and you enjoy yourself and your Toy! B)

Dianne '84 Dolphin

thanks dianne,

i was actually gonna overlook new tires they have decent thread but i dont know the age, an area i should not neglect with a 1200 mile trip, double what i wanted to travel really, but i am getting rv checked in morning and will have recommended repairs done, i didnt realize the tire year was encoded on sidewall so i thank you again and will have garage note tire conditoin

See http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1995

Since you are taking this to a mechanic, I recommend attention to the following areas:

Tire pressure and overall condition.

Transmission extension housing bushing for zero play (VERY IMPORTANT)

Fluids, make sure the transmission fluid is checked WARM, LEVEL, in PARK after cycling through the gears.

Belts (wear and proper tension)

Hoses

Pressure test the radiator

Load test the alternator

Check battery electrolyte specific gravity with a battery hydrometer (voltage alone doesn't tell you anything until the battery is DEAD)

Load test batteries

Distributor, plug wires, plugs, and general ignition condition.

Fuses

Headlights (function and proper aim)

Windshield wipers (17 inch)

Brakes

Wheel bearings

U joints

Not necessary but you MAY want to charge your AC if it doesn't work and make sure the radio works.

For you after your mechanic checks these things and clears it:

Get a cheap torque wrench and lugnut socket. You'll be re-torquing the lugnuts every 50 miles for a few times. They WILL work loose!

Get a dual wheel tire gauge and inflator adaptor. Only truckstops will have the dual wheel inflator nozzles.

Avoid rush hour. Take your time and drive slow. 50 is probably a good speed. The idiots that honk at you for going slow will not help you if you overheat or burn out your tranny trying to do 80MPH. The faster you drive, the more you are asking of your engine and transmission. Don't try to do it in one day. Don't run the battery down on your first night.

Make a habit of stopping once per hour for the first few hours of your journey to check fluids, lugnuts, and tire pressures. If anything is going to happen, such as an oil leak, best to catch it early.

There's more, like water, fridge and hygiene stuff. But hey, being stinky is NOT going to leave you stranded beside the road!