This is my second Toy MH with the carburetor 4 cylinder. They both have the same weird problem. If the vehicle is off for any length of time it is hard to start. A little starting fluid and it starts quickly. I remember years ago being told that the gas drains back from the carburetor when it sits.

Anyway, is there any way to remedy this problem? I am selling it ( I have a newer six cylinder one) and want to make sure it is in good operating condition.

Thanks for any help

• 2 weeks later...

I had the identical problem with my 1982 Toyota Sunrader. I took the top off of the air cleaner and found that when the engine was cold, the choke plate did not quite close all the way - there was about 1/16" of clearance between the choke plate and the carb bore. When I removed the entire air cleaner assembly, the choke snapped clear shut. I think one of the vacuum hoses must have been hitting the choke arm - I starts right up now, even after sitting for a month. I hope you find the problem!

Bill