bajadulce

1995 3.4L 5sp 4x4 Bajarader (Put the sawzall down)

You must have been moving around a lot to put that many miles on it, eh? Thanks for the update but you forgot to mention the most important part... Did you get lots of perfect uncrowded waves?

Derek:

Never saw a single toy motorhome for the 2 months.

Steve:

I parked it on Jan 14th and never started the car till Feb 22nd. All the miles were put on when I got to Arizona for the remaining 2 weeks of the trip. Yes, lots of empty surf. :)

Funny side note.

Somewhere around the middle of January I inspected under the hood to make sure no mice were causing troubles and was greeted by a snake! :) I just left it alone as I figured it would be the best watch dog.

Sounds like a great trip! Good idea about leaving the watch snake under the hood. Was it still there when you went to leave or did you forget to check? Did you park on the Pacific side or tucked inside the gulf a bit?

@ snake hiding under hood:

I did a quick glance before starting the car a month or so later and it appeared to be gone... or hiding really well. I never bothered to check on it after seeing it the first time :)

I took the 30 mile dirt road over the mountains at Chapala over coco's corner (baja 1000 stop see pic below) to the gulf. Road is now paved all the way to Gonzaga! 70 miles an hour straight shot back via San Felipe - Mexicali. A lot of guys are doing this route rather than going up through Catavina - Rosario - San Quintin etc. It worked out great for me as I was heading to Arizona. I did screw up though by not heading east to algodones border crossing. Was almost 2 hour line at Mexicali. Looked down at one point and the needle was damn near in red and so blasted the heater for a few minutes! HOT!

1444085704_cda9496d45_z.jpg?zz=1

COCO's CORNER baja :rolleyes: ... interesting place to stop for a beer.

Only stayed for one night on the gulf in San Felipe at a neat old school RV resort called Club de Pesca. Nice park right on the water and even had a little happy hour ($1 beers if I recall) with the park's locals and owner at the restaurant/store.

One thing I have to say about the camper being completely sealed off from the truck is that it is virtually impossible for any mice to get into the camper. I'd have to accidentally leave the door open or they will have to chew through a slew of fiberglass. With the old pass through, there wasn't much you could do with mice finding their way in through the firewall. So that's a welcome change from previous campers. Not that it's a big deal, it's just one less nuisance to have to deal with. Interestingly enough, there's a small space on the back of camper's subfloor joist framing where it meets the flatbed. Sure enough when I got home and removed the camper, there was a small nest between the camper and flatbed! Those buggers!

Edit:

here's a video of how easy of a road it is over the mountains from the pacific to gulf via Chapala/Coco's Corner. This side route via the gulf will definitely be the way I travel down the peninsula in the future. If only just exiting.

Here's an annual update: :)

Went to same old place for months of Jan - March.  ~ 4000 miles round trip.  Truck drove great without any problems.  Used the 4wd a half dozen times for the sand and once for some serious mud.  Kept a mileage/fuel record... it's out in the camper, but haven't bothered to look at.  Range about 300 miles for ~ 20 gallons.  65 mph freeways easy with extra power if needed.  260K miles on truck now.

Nothing changed interior of camper since last trip other than addition of a 65qt Wynter 12v fridge purchased online through HDepot.  Delivered to door for about $450.  Worked fantastic (thermostat set at 35.  Kicks on at 38 and off at 32.  very quiet).

Never bothered to take down the bamboo awning off the back as mentioned last year.  Drove all the way home last year, sat in alley all year, drove all the way down and back with a bamboo rear window.  Lots of looks.

Drove 400+ miles on way out of Mexico.  Left at 10 am and got to border around 10pm.. so 12 hours of driving for 400 miles.. sounds about right for Baja.  From there to In-n-Out in Carlsbad arriving around midnight.  Ran into Steve from San Diego who spotted my camper.  Sorry couldn't talk more... was pretty exhausted and am sure I didn't smell all that great either. :)

Had 8 people in camper at one time.. all sitting in a seat.  The fridge is the same height as the bench seat passenger side and serves as an extended bench and/or place to lounge/put feet up.

Some rear suspension work would be a nice project for the future... Air bags are OK for now.  Never got around to adding some skirting/undercarriage boxes.

Hopefully get some more chances to use before next year.

Some generic pics.  Didn't take too many.

baja_0386.JPG

baja_0389.JPG

baja_0408.JPG

No fixing/building, just using. A much better plan.

Hey Baja, great to see you here for a visit ! Great trip and congrats on the durability/reliability of your rig, not all of us can feel that confident yet. 8 people, wow, good thing you're a natural at engineering! Cool to hear about the 12V fridge, I really like mine. I'm working a charging issue, but other than that, I'm "outta the shed" and rollin' so to speak. Glad to hear you're enjoying some well deserved travels.

BR,  TG

A little late to the party but I just saw your latest comments now, Steve. Sorry to pull you away from your In and out burger to show me your rig! (I would have waited until you were done!) I texted and tried calling you last week to ask about your roller paint job because I'm FINALLY back to working on mine again. I suspect maybe you're in beautiful baja again...

Hi All.  Just checking in for old time sake.  It's that time of year again for the annual retreat to the baja desert and need to start cleaning the cobwebs off the camper.   I took a few pics of last year's trip, but never transferred them and they were lost :(   There was a lot of rain last winter in baja which made for a lot of mud.  I used the 4x quite a bit and darn near got stuck. 

Camper and truck is still going strong.  Maybe close to 250K on it now?  Have a small to-do list, but just haven't found time or need to do anything.  I really like this camper a lot and probably will have it for years to come.

I did upgrade the 15" wheels to 16" last year and it seems like a good change if just for the more readily available (and cheaper) LT tires available for 16" rims.  The 96 t100 came with 16" as does the early tundras.  There's a little bit of performance/power drop with the new wheels and a small hit to MPG, but psychologically, the truck just seems more sturdy/beefier.  Still running the stock rear-end and haven't had any issues w/ the airbags.

The truck itself has hauled tons and tons.  Here's a pic of the new wheels @ the local SCruz landfill.

truck01.jpg.d96ca14b23c99e2a22051bc971853c7a.jpg

I've been traveling to Seaside Oregon in June/July for a golf tournament now 2 years in a row and will do it again this year.  So I now have 2 annual destinations. :)  The rest of the year, it just sits in the alley.    Here's a fun pic of the 16' camper comfortably entertaining 7 ppl @ Gearhart beach.

medium

Hope to see you on the road! :)

Hola amigo!

Good to hear the old girl is still working for you. I'm heading down south as well, but not until the end of January. I'll keep an eye out for your rig.

Even though I've chosen the standard truck/truck camper route, the sight of a Sunrader always get's me thinking again. Maybe someday...

Kevin