Awesome weather finally!

We've had snow, rain, and lots of wind until this week.

I'm anxious!!!

I need new tires for my '84 Dolphin. I've priced them all around here and get from $89.00 (Hankook), to $137.00. It had Kumhos on it when purchased. I'm told that 185R14 8ply tire is an odd ball tire and few companies make it. Does anyone run Hankooks? There's a wide range in price and dollars add up quick when purchasing six.

I'm just asking for some in put and personal preferences.

I'm ready to Toy around.

Thanks T.A.J.

I'm in the same situation. Need new tires and finding quotes from $125/tire for NanKang, $103/tr for Hancook, and $81.50/tr for National Chaparral XT. I'd appreciate any advice anyone has on quality, or experience with these tires. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Hi Guys,

We had 6 Hankook tires put on our '84 Dolphin last year and we think they are great. Did some review investigation on various tires and called around locally and decided the Hankooks were for our Toy. They were priced at $57.00 each and the total with metal valve stems, etc., came to $360 without tax. We used a local tire company. We could tell the difference immediately with the new tires with much better ride and handling. Hope you all find the best deal on tires for your Toys.

Charles & Dianne

STOP THE PRESSES!!! NEW TIRE NEWS!!!

In doing further investigation on our Hankook tires that we purchased last April, we discovered the local tire company had put the WRONG tires on our '84 Dolphin. The tire salesman sold us passenger car tires. The more I looked on here and did other searches, the more I knew we had the wrong tires. Charles called the manager of this tire company and told them we have a micro mini motorhome, read him the tire number on our invoice and asked him if these were the correct tires for this type of motorhome. The answer: "NO, those are the wrong tires." Charles then told him, "Well, your tire company sold us these tires last year." Dead silence on the other end of the phone and then, "We will do what is right to correct this. We will find the right tires immediately." We wanted Yokohama Y356 185/R14 Load Range D 8-Ply tires.

They ordered these from Tire Rack and yesterday we had them installed on The Little Puppy. They gave us a $399.00 refund on the wrong tires they sold us and the total price on the new Yokohamas was $464.71. They could not tell us why the salesman sold us the wrong tires last year, but they said he is no longer working for them. We only put a 1,000 miles on the other tires and God sure was watching over us out on the road tooling around with the wrong tires on a motorhome!! So our advice (if it's worth anything) is take a look at your tires and make sure you have the CORRECT TIRES installed. One would think that a place that sells ONLY tires would know what they are selling and not make this mistake, but this proves that it isn't a perfect world and mistakes happen. We are so thankful that we didn't have something go wrong in a huge way while we were driving on the wrong tires. BTW, the new correct Yokohamas ride great and we didn't notice a hard ride even with the Load Range D.

Dianne

Hi Guys,

We had 6 Hankook tires put on our '84 Dolphin last year and we think they are great. Did some review investigation on various tires and called around locally and decided the Hankooks were for our Toy. They were priced at $57.00 each and the total with metal valve stems, etc., came to $360 without tax. We used a local tire company. We could tell the difference immediately with the new tires with much better ride and handling. Hope you all find the best deal on tires for your Toys.

Charles & Dianne

Hi Charles and Dianne,

What size and load rating did you purchase on your tires. 185 75 14 D?

Thanks,

Nicktoyota

Edited by nicktoyota

Thanks,

Nicktoyota

Hey Nick,

I've done some research and the 185R14 8ply (load range D) is the way to go I believe.

If anybody has a different belief, I'm interested.

Thanks T.A.J.

Hi Guys,

Charles & Dianne

Did you get 185R14 8 ply, or 185 75 R14 D tires?

I ask because there is a difference in tread style and I was told the 185R14 is what I must have.

In put please! Troy

I am lost on this one, my tire guy here in Doo Dah or the land of OZ, also known as Wichita, KS says Hancook, Hankook or how ever the name is spelled, do not make that size. But I really don't think he knows how to check on it either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, need to figure out the tire thing here myself. My motorhome has 195R 14C Load range D tires on it already. I really only need 3 (2 for the front and a spare) They are tough to find. I see several people have 185R 14C tires and some indicate that these are a load range D as well. Can a guy switch from 195 to 185r? Are they easier to find if so? Is one better than the other for a 21 foot model use? Am I seeing different results because of the variance in toyota motorhome sizes (18 - 21ft)?

Awesome weather finally!

We've had snow, rain, and lots of wind until this week.

I'm anxious!!!

I need new tires for my '84 Dolphin. I've priced them all around here and get from $89.00 (Hankook), to $137.00. It had Kumhos on it when purchased. I'm told that 185R14 8ply tire is an odd ball tire and few companies make it. Does anyone run Hankooks? There's a wide range in price and dollars add up quick when purchasing six.

I'm just asking for some in put and personal preferences.

I'm ready to Toy around.

Thanks T.A.J.

Cooper Tire company stopped making the 8 ply tire so you will have to find an alternative. I haven't had to replace mine yet so I can't help you with advice on any other tires.

I am lost on this one, my tire guy here in Doo Dah or the land of OZ, also known as Wichita, KS says Hancook, Hankook or how ever the name is spelled, do not make that size. But I really don't think he knows how to check on it either.

I just had six Hankook 185/R/14 tires installed.

They made a world of difference.

T.A.J.

I just had six Hankook 185/R/14 tires installed at American Car Care in Bozeman Mt. at $91.00 apiece.

They made a world of difference and have a nice tread. They are 8 ply load range D.

These tires are the best investment I've made in a long time.

I highly recommend them!

T.A.J.

I have a set of Hercules G4000LT's and I only payed about $65 each for them It was 2 years ago but I had no trouble finding them.

• 9 months later...

185R14

Hankook 185 r14

don't let some stupid salesman tell you you need the middle number or you will end up with a passenger car tire tell them it's a one ton truck if they can't wrap their mind around the fact that you want a 185r14 we are in the far north east and plan to cross the country so we will have a good review on these in a while we thought out the highway tires will help keep our amazing gas mileage make sure they are load rated c or d got em for 99 at town fair tire

also another tip if you didn't know there is a number that will identify the manufacturing date and I just found out even if its got tread it can be expired by date or simple dry/UV rot

anyone care to comment on a saggy leaf spring(s)???

You really need to do your home work and make sure they are "D" rated the size our Toyota's use was a very popular size but not for trucks so the tire company can find them but they are not rated for the weight load. Hit them with "LT" (light truck) and go from there. When I first bought my Toy I took it to Canada (dumb me for not looking) on passenger car tires (ignorance is bliss) Awhile latter I had it jacked up to inspect/adjust the rear brakes and two of the rear tires were split right down the middle with the steel showing all kinds of tread but junk. Also a "D" rating does not mean it has 8 plys it means it is rated as strong as 8 plys that's OK as long as the rating is there.

Since they seem to have the same tire requirements as out Toyotas, there's quite a bit of info on the 'net courtesy of Westfalia owners:-

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TirePhotos.html

http://autoparts.pricegrabber.com/auto-tires/185r14+8pr/p/4645/

http://www.busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp

Lots of different makes listed, but I don't know how hard it is to find most of the obscure brands.

The Hankook RA08 seems to be a good bet. Good reviews, good price. And 'All Season'. Some of the others are listed as 'Summer'.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=RA08

You answered my first question with this thread

Thank you!

Bob+

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Thank you Jesus ...what a ride!"

• 2 weeks later...

I just had 6-YK356 yokohama 185R14 8pr put on and the best old one put on as a spare (didn't have a spare and bought a rim earlier with no tire). Total was $682.00 mounted, balanced out the door. Hankooks RA08 were offered for $488.00 but the yokohamas were recommended over the hankcooks by 4 different persons.

When you have a small motorhome riding on the tires, you want the best tire, or that was my feelings. I have read good reviews on both kinds of the tires and probably either one would be OK.

PS.

I have the 86 Sunland Express and live in North Carolina

Edited by Homer

185R14

Hankook 185 r14

don't let some stupid salesman tell you you need the middle number or you will end up with a passenger car tire tell them it's a one ton truck if they can't wrap their mind around the fact that you want a 185r14 we are in the far north east and plan to cross the country so we will have a good review on these in a while we thought out the highway tires will help keep our amazing gas mileage make sure they are load rated c or d got em for 99 at town fair tire

also another tip if you didn't know there is a number that will identify the manufacturing date and I just found out even if its got tread it can be expired by date or simple dry/UV rot

anyone care to comment on a saggy leaf spring(s)???

How do you decode the the date of manufacture, and how long before they are deemed unsafe even if they are unused, sitting in some tire warehouse?

TIA!

How do you decode the the date of manufacture, and how long before they are deemed unsafe even if they are unused, sitting in some tire warehouse?

TIA!

Welcome to the Forum.

Hard to say (guess?) how quickly they age sitting in a warehouse (presumably under 'ideal' conditions) vs 'Regular Service' vs sitting for months at a time under a laden Toyota MH! I'm also a bit suspicious of a 'sell by date' promoted by the tire manufacturers which certainly won't decrease their tire sales! I know that in the past I've certainly driven on tires that are probably beyond the 6-7-8 years they talk about.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138&

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&

• 1 month later...

I just had 6-YK356 yokohama 185R14 8pr put on and the best old one put on as a spare (didn't have a spare and bought a rim earlier with no tire). Total was $682.00 mounted, balanced out the door. Hankooks RA08 were offered for $488.00 but the yokohamas were recommended over the hankcooks by 4 different persons.

When you have a small motorhome riding on the tires, you want the best tire, or that was my feelings. I have read good reviews on both kinds of the tires and probably either one would be OK.

PS.

I have the 86 Sunland Express and live in North Carolina

May I ask where you got the tires out the door for that price? I'm near enough NC to make it worth my while to go there! Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I got 6 Hankook 8ply load D for under $500 installed @ Wholesale Tire in Morristown, Mn. They make a world of difference! I got a good set of tire covers to keep them in good shape. :)

Over the last 4 weeks I've been forced to deal with the tire situation 3 times. On a return 3000 mile trip I noticed a bump bump bump while driving. The left front had developed a tread bulge, put spare on, made it home ok. Started researching the tires on line. Daughter barrowed rig for 3 day, put a new Hankook on to replace spare, $110 out the door. On her return Sunday she also encountered a bump bump then a blow out (LR inside), she put on the new spare, a hour down the road same bump bump (LR outside). Limped down the road about 50 miles to a larger town , spent the night. I called around and could not locate a open tire place untill 0800 Mon. She did find a 185-14 8 ply Hankook in that town (Lancaster Ca) that morning $125 OTD and finally made it home by noon. I had already decided to go with the Hankooks after the first tire bubbled up on me. I read what i could find here and on line, did not see much negative. They are not readily available at a lot of tire shops. Sears and a few shops will order them though, usually can have them in a few hours to the next day. The Sears on line quote here was about $102 OTD. I bought four more here for $95 mounted & ballanced, OUT THE DOOR price at a local tire store. Now have 6 new Hankooks. Haven't had a a chance to test them out yet.

From all I've read so far I recomend 185 R 14 8 ply rating for most the Toyota RV's. My old tires were 7 year old (good tread) Capitols.

Chief

• 2 weeks later...

I'm calling around here in Utah and the prices I'm getting for 185R14's are all well over $100 each. Have the prices gone up? I'm looking at all 6 if I can get the price under $100, but if not, I can get by with just replacing the two front tires only. ($125 installed is about what they're pricing at here). TIA.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll have a hard time beating this price, assuming their shipping isn't too outrageous.

http://www.busdepot....partnumber=RA08

Let us know what you find out.

Wow, that is a helpful post! Thank you thank you Derek. :) We ordered the tires today ($217 total including mounting/balancing etc) and will have them installed as soon as we can. We're doing multiple things to the vehicle right now, the major thing is attempting to find a local solution for increased fuel... a very tough cookie to crack. (proposals have been additional plastic tanks with a skid guard, a custom 43 gallon addition tank connected with the primary tank, etc.). We may have the vehicle back to us Saturday.

All of this is in preparation for a 5600 mile round trip to the Restoring Honor Rally at the Lincoln memorial on August 28th... but I will not take the RV with only a 150 mile range. Two weeks away... don't know if we can accomplish all we need to do, but thanks to you I'm one huge step closer (and I will have not one, but TWO spares for the trip.)

I replaced my set of tires in june after I had a blowout on my way back from a weekend trip.

I had discount tire order a set of 356 yokahamas for me.You really have to explain to most dealers what you need,and most of the time they want a middle #,anyway the guy at discount tire took the time to make a few calls and got me a set in 2 days.Out the door for $731.00.

We went on vacation for a month and I met 3 toy owners,and not one new what type of tire that their toy needed.One guy had his for 18 yrs.,and had white walls on the rear,I don't think they were anything that had been made in recent years.