Upholster

Cal

I'm just curious what it would cost...ball parking...to re-upholster a 1984 Toyota Dolphin, it has 2 beds and a couch. And I'd probably want to replace the foam as well. Drapes can be sewn easily, so not such an issue. But how much fabric would the sofa and beds require? And where is the best place to buy the foam? and is there a better type of foam, etc.?

The thing is there is a home I can snag for a great price but it really looks threadbare; not to mention like Mrs. Brady decorated it.

Thanks...Cal :help:

I think it would be very difficult to give a ball park figure. I think you have to make some calls for that. I did price out some foam for my cab over, around 200 for some really dense stuff. Pull out your yellow pages and look up foam. If there is none maybe go online to the nearest big city's yellow pages. Ask them also about recommendations on upholsterers.

Cal,

I'm currently in the process of a re upholstering right now. I have a 92 Itasca Spirit. If your foam is good save it, that's a huge cost. The following is a cost saving list.

1.Save your foam, if they say its "stained" it can be wrapped in plastic.This is a HUGE profit for them to replace.

2.Offer to remove the pieces yourself-saves on labor cost.

3.Buy your own material,can be found at any discount fabric store.

4.Work on a cash basis.

I have saved an incredible amount of money by doing these steps, which I might add was suggested to me by a very honest upholster.

The answer to your question about how much? My Itasca took 20 yards at 12.50 a yard. Make sure you buy quality material from USA and not China. American made is a little more expensive, but well worth it.The guy i'm working with in Roseville, Ca told me to put a swatch of material from both country's in a closed mason jar for 24 hrs then smell, WHOA, what a difference.

My job includes bed over cab , seat covers for bucket seats,couch,dinette cushions and the valances came to 600.00 now keep in mind this is labor cost only with me buying the material and removing the items.

Hopes this helps.

Cal

I'm just curious what it would cost...ball parking...to re-upholster a 1984 Toyota Dolphin, it has 2 beds and a couch. And I'd probably want to replace the foam as well. Drapes can be sewn easily, so not such an issue. But how much fabric would the sofa and beds require? And where is the best place to buy the foam? and is there a better type of foam, etc.?

The thing is there is a home I can snag for a great price but it really looks threadbare; not to mention like Mrs. Brady decorated it.

Cal, I just replaced all of the foam for my Sunrader's rear dinette cushions at a cost of only $103.00 shipping included from www.ritchiefoam.com . I have dealt with him numerous times & he will work with you on whatever you have. He has unbeatable prices. If your wife or anyone you know can sew half way decent it is not as hard as it seems. Just be sure to save all the original cushion material for patterns. I am a semi-retired upholsterer & yes there is alot of sewing involved but the cost that one can save by doing it themselves is unbelievable. It's amazing what one can do when you set your mind to it. Regards - Roxanne

• 1 month later...
Cal, I just replaced all of the foam for my Sunrader's rear dinette cushions at a cost of only $103.00 shipping included from www.ritchiefoam.com . I have dealt with him numerous times & he will work with you on whatever you have. He has unbeatable prices. If your wife or anyone you know can sew half way decent it is not as hard as it seems. Just be sure to save all the original cushion material for patterns. I am a semi-retired upholsterer & yes there is alot of sewing involved but the cost that one can save by doing it themselves is unbelievable. It's amazing what one can do when you set your mind to it. Regards - Roxanne

Which ritchie foam product did you use for the dinette - they have quite a selection. How is it working out so far? How did you develop a sewing pattern?

I am definitely new to this, but I figure it's worth experimenting to learn how to do this right. Of course, it makes even more sense to take advantage of the learning that other people have already done.

brad

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 1992 Spirit and just had the couch and dinette and the bed reupholstered. The labor cost was just a little over $600 and we were able to get the fabric which was ultra suede for around $200. It sounds like a lot but the difference was remarkable. Good luck