LP Gas

Andy

Hi Hope this is the right forum to post this in. I have a 1982 Huntsman that I just bought. I used it the first time this weekend and the LP gas tank was giving me fits. Everytime I used gas inside the rig I could smell a gas leak and then I would go to shut off the gas and the regulator was frozen with ice on it. THe vent valve was closed and I am not sure if this had anything to do with it? Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vent valve??????

With the master valve turned on the entire system has gas pressure in it. Even if you are not using anything.

Is your regulator a single stage or a two stage??

I am not sure on what type it is but I have added a picture of it. The blue knob can be tightend down, it appears to me to be some sort of flow control for the vent. It was tightend all the way. I am assuming that shut off any ventilation. Hope this helps. Thanks

Andy

Hi Hope this is the right forum to post this in. I have a 1982 Huntsman that I just bought. I used it the first time this weekend and the LP gas tank was giving me fits. Everytime I used gas inside the rig I could smell a gas leak and then I would go to shut off the gas and the regulator was frozen with ice on it. THe vent valve was closed and I am not sure if this had anything to do with it? Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-348-1142947302_thumb.jpg

The vent valve on the tank is only opened when the tank is being filled. If you are smelling gas inside the coach every connection needs to be checked. Including stove valves, feed lines to the burners. Gas lines can get microscopic holes in them from corrosion or wear. You can buy a gas leak suds mixture, its better than the home brew as its thicker and sticks in the same place longer to show the smallest of leaks.

Greg

The blue knob is NOT the control valve. The main valve (only shut off ) is on the tank. The line to the regulator comes from main valve. The blue knob should be tight and left alone. This is a single stage regulator and under cool humid condictions they can ice up. That is why most newer units have a two stage regulator.

At this point you should go to an RV repair shop have them install a two stage regulator and check the entire system.

If you don't understand your propane system messing around with it is a good way to make a big bang.

WME

I am not sure on what type it is but I have added a picture of it. The blue knob can be tightend down, it appears to me to be some sort of flow control for the vent. It was tightend all the way. I am assuming that shut off any ventilation. Hope this helps. Thanks

Andy

Thanks I will check that out. I called an RV repair shop and they seem to think that the icing of the regulator was due to a leak inside of the coach. It does seem to revolve around the stove. Kinda wierd to because I filled up the tank and left the valve open and drove for about 6 hours and there was no problem. but after using the stove then shuting it off I started to smell the leak.

I have to agree it is time to send it to the RV shop and have them deal with the issue. I am not into Shock and AWE, or the big bang theroy and I fear if I mess with it that is exactly what I will get.

• 4 weeks later...

When gas expands it absorbs energy. That's how an air conditioner works. If you have ice on your regulator, it means that the liquid propane is expanding to a gas at a very rapid rate. In other words, you have a bad leak on the discharge side of your regulator. get it located and fixed. As a regular maintenance practice, you should turn on your propane a couple times a year and put soapy water on the fittings and joints. If there are bubbles then you have a leak. By the way it is preferred to use flare fittings in RVs.

Good luck and be safe