St. Sadie - A Sanctuary of Sanity

shandamac

A quick pop in to paruse the new entries and to say hello to new members and toy owners.

Hello!!!! By now you know you're on the right path.

Well, Sadie, (my little 81 Sundrader that I will have owned 1 year come next month....woo hoo!)

know holds an even more special place in my heart since January 31st. Early that morning,

my 18 year old daughter flipped her car after hitting a patch of ice, and had to be medi flighted to

the OU trauma center in OKC (about an hour drive from home). Her pelvis had been shattered and her leg almost torn off during

her partial ejection. The following hours of waiting while she underwent several surgeries to realign and stabilize her pelvis and reconnect

soft tissue were spent in much prayer and positive preparation for the upcoming ICU and Recovery weeks ahead. Gil was going to live.

There were no upper body, head, or spinal injuries. She was one blessed little girl, but she was also going to be in the hospital for

a while. All I knew is that we would need our little motorhome.

Garymac went home that night to pick up Sadie while I pulled an all nighter in the waiting room (a story in itself).

For 4 weeks Sadie stayed in the parking lot next to the emergency room entrance... Winterized and a tad chilly in the

evenings but still a place of sanctuary and solitude. Gary worked nights, so would come to the hospital in the morning, then used the motorhome to nap off and on during the day until I arrived after off work. Jen (our youngest) stayed at home with the animals and visited on weekends. Friends and family supplied plenty of food to stock Sadie's fridge and cupboards, and I slept in the motorhome at night until Gil was finally moved out of ICU and I was allowed to stay in her room in the evenings. During that time, friends and family who came to visit Gil were treated to coffee and sometimes meals in the motorhome. Several local friends requested that we use thier homes.... and "warm beds" during Gil's stay at OU, but we had Sadie. She was perfect... and even though I hadn't purchased a generator yet, and was no where near an electricity source, my little LED camp lights were adequate for lighting, and a quick run on the propane stove would warm the camper enough to get snuggled under my down and wool bedding. One night it got below freezing...middle 20F's.....a tip from a friend who used to live in his truck camper (which he'd learned from a homeless man)......heavy guage plastic!.....

I layed a sheet of it on the mattress, under a wool blanket and my down sleeping bag on top of that, then wrapped the blanket over the sleeping bag, and the plastic over that......It got hot!....... Well, to make a long story short. 4 weeks later, Sadie made the treck back home, and after a month and half of physical therapy here at our local facility, Gil is now walking...yeah....and talking of becoming a physical therapist herself . Every day is precious!

For Sadie's next tour of duty, I am joining our community rock hound club. Not only will she be taking me to upcoming fiddle gigs, but will also join me on the hunt for local agate and rose rocks.....or maybe just sand stone.

DeWinterization Begins!!!!!

Have the most wonderful and prosperous of Summers Toy Family.

shanda

Now that's a wonderfull story. Glad to hear the daughters coming up swinging.Your whole family sounds like a group who would be a joy to know. Even the motorhome did its' part.

God bless all of you.

John

Hi Shanda!!

Great to hear from you again ... been missing your delightful posts. Hard to read about your daughter's accident, but I am so happy to hear that your daughter survived, had great care and is now walking again. Yes, every day is precious and a gift from God! Isn't it wonderful that little Sadie had such a BIG part to play in all of this! You are even more bonded now after this experience together. She just continues to grow more and more special!

Glad you're back and keep us informed what is going on in the coming months. God bless each of you including Sadie! :wub:

Dianne

What outstanding news! Stories like this remind me to stop worrying about whatever petty problems I might have and thank the Good Lord that we live in the time and place that we do. The dedication of medical and emergency personnel plus today's technology is amazing. Life is good.

Don't know what part of Oklahoma you're at but I'm about an hour north of Woodward. We have a sweet little lake here with over 100 hookups. And although I'm not a rock hunter we do have some pretty good arrowhead hunting spots and meteorites seem to turn up pretty often around here. Stop by my pizza place and I'll buy you lunch. Hope your daughter's recovery is smooth and rapid.

Thank you for sharing your story. My heart really goes out to you and your family. Our children are the most precious things in our lives, and stories like yours certainly reinforce that. If your kids are ok, everything else is gravy.

Home is where the heart is, and it sounds like Sadie became your home through that difficult period.

I am glad that things are going well and hope that your daughter becomes better and stronger with every passing day.

James

A quick pop in to paruse the new entries and to say hello to new members and toy owners.

Hello!!!! By now you know you're on the right path.

Well, Sadie, (my little 81 Sundrader that I will have owned 1 year come next month....woo hoo!)

know holds an even more special place in my heart since January 31st. Early that morning,

my 18 year old daughter flipped her car after hitting a patch of ice, and had to be medi flighted to

the OU trauma center in OKC (about an hour drive from home). Her pelvis had been shattered and her leg almost torn off during

her partial ejection. The following hours of waiting while she underwent several surgeries to realign and stabilize her pelvis and reconnect

soft tissue were spent in much prayer and positive preparation for the upcoming ICU and Recovery weeks ahead. Gil was going to live.

There were no upper body, head, or spinal injuries. She was one blessed little girl, but she was also going to be in the hospital for

a while. All I knew is that we would need our little motorhome.

Garymac went home that night to pick up Sadie while I pulled an all nighter in the waiting room (a story in itself).

For 4 weeks Sadie stayed in the parking lot next to the emergency room entrance... Winterized and a tad chilly in the

evenings but still a place of sanctuary and solitude. Gary worked nights, so would come to the hospital in the morning, then used the motorhome to nap off and on during the day until I arrived after off work. Jen (our youngest) stayed at home with the animals and visited on weekends. Friends and family supplied plenty of food to stock Sadie's fridge and cupboards, and I slept in the motorhome at night until Gil was finally moved out of ICU and I was allowed to stay in her room in the evenings. During that time, friends and family who came to visit Gil were treated to coffee and sometimes meals in the motorhome. Several local friends requested that we use thier homes.... and "warm beds" during Gil's stay at OU, but we had Sadie. She was perfect... and even though I hadn't purchased a generator yet, and was no where near an electricity source, my little LED camp lights were adequate for lighting, and a quick run on the propane stove would warm the camper enough to get snuggled under my down and wool bedding. One night it got below freezing...middle 20F's.....a tip from a friend who used to live in his truck camper (which he'd learned from a homeless man)......heavy guage plastic!.....

I layed a sheet of it on the mattress, under a wool blanket and my down sleeping bag on top of that, then wrapped the blanket over the sleeping bag, and the plastic over that......It got hot!....... Well, to make a long story short. 4 weeks later, Sadie made the treck back home, and after a month and half of physical therapy here at our local facility, Gil is now walking...yeah....and talking of becoming a physical therapist herself . Every day is precious!

For Sadie's next tour of duty, I am joining our community rock hound club. Not only will she be taking me to upcoming fiddle gigs, but will also join me on the hunt for local agate and rose rocks.....or maybe just sand stone.

DeWinterization Begins!!!!!

Have the most wonderful and prosperous of Summers Toy Family.

shanda

See and you thought Sadie was just going to be a fun thing to play with.

Didn't know you had your own St. Bernard.