How do you clean mold from seat cushons ?

justinc25

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready for a trip next week, and pulled out my '86 Dolphin today.

I just noticed some mold has formed on the sofa bed, and the seat cushons at the table.

Anyone know how to remove this without hurting the fabric ?

My interior was perfect before this happened. I had found a couple leaks from the winter, but have fixed them.

I'm a little short on cash, but if necessary I might rent a upholstry machine from home depot.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Bleach is the best mold killer, but it will wreck the fabric. You can buy mildew stain remover at some supermkts or you might go on line at some other sites.............Tony

I made a bleach/water mixture of 1 tbsp bleach to 32oz water for the door panels, and seat belts that have mold. It seemed to work well, tomorrow I'll know if it will discolor. I think I'll try it in an inconspicious place. My major concern is the sofa. The table cushon covers come off, and I can wash them, but not so with the sofa.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Justin

Hi Justin,

What a nasty surprise to encounter. I would suggest getting some Lysol spray and spraying the sofa really well with it. Then vacuum it and spray it again and let it dry. Check and see if any mold remains and repeat if necessary. You could also run a fan next to it to dry it out after spraying with Lysol. I would not recommend using any chlorine bleach on your sofa fabric as it will discolor it and weaken the fibers.

Dianne '84 Dolphin

Ya know...

I've been loking at this post for a few days now. I keep having this real bad thought about how to remove mold from a sofa !

DIVORCE...

There, I've said it and now I can sleep tonight.

Regular bleach is an oxidizer that uses chlorine. The color safe bleaches use hydrogen peroxide. Oxyclean is one of those. You can go to the dollar store and get a container of generic color safe bleach. It's usually SUN brand and has a little detergent in it. I assume that you have a shop vac to dry it with.