Timing belt

I recentally bought a 1990 6-cylander automatic Itasca. I was getting it checked out and the mechanic said i should replace my Timing Belt(109,000 miles).I was wondering if it was nececicary if i should replace it or if he was trying to sell me something that i don't need?

The timing belt should be replaced at 80,000 miles.

If it breaks, you could be looking at needing a new engine.

You could get lucky and the engine just dies, or unlucky and a

few Pistons bump into a few values, which besides piston and valve

damage you could have head and cylinder damage, making the

engine pretty much a complete lost.

Dennis...

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, Couldn't find the link where to buy the medal timing chain guides. I gotta get on replacing also.

Thanks Ken

1986 Sunrader 4x4

The timing belt should be replaced at 80,000 miles.

If it breaks, you could be looking at needing a new engine.

You could get lucky and the engine just dies, or unlucky and a

few Pistons bump into a few values, which besides piston and valve

damage you could have head and cylinder damage, making the

engine pretty much a complete lost.

Dennis...

Hi guys, Couldn't find the link where to buy the medal timing chain guides. I gotta get on replacing also.

Thanks Ken

1986 Sunrader 4x4

Just a reply about timing belt breaking on a 3vz toyota, they are not an interference engine, meaning belt can break and there will be no contact between

pistons and valves, however best to replace as even though engine damage will not result the cost of tow and inconvenience if away from home will

be considerable. By the way I am a Toyota master technician and over the last 20 years have seen dozens of these belts break and damage will not happen.

Only the newest toyota timing belt equipped engines ie tundra 4.7 v8 are interference engines.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Jim,

Thanks for the information. My timing belt is up for replacement in about 5000 miles. Did Toyota ever upgrade to a stronegr belt that suppose to last longer? And, is there a special tool need to get the job done?

No there is no stronger belt, they just have to be changed at the proper intervals, I have seen people go farther than recommended but I have also

seen them break before time to replace. Here in Canada where I am the interval in 96000 kilometers which is about 60000 miles. You do not need special

tools except maybe if harmonic balancer (on front of crankshaft) is hard to get off, you may need a puller, but you need to be fairly mechanical to do

this job, remove radiator, harmonic balancer, front covers and fan support, then need to get the new belt on and timed properly. Get a repair manual

or download instructions . Also if engine is high mileage or hasnt had best of oil change maintenance is a good time to replace crankshaft and

camshaft seals and have a good look at water pump and timing belt idler and tensioners. Once again the 3vz engine is not an interference engine

so piston to valve damage will not happen if belt does break, however it is cheaper and less stressfull to get it done at home and not in

the middle of a trip!

hope this helps

Jim