Inverter question

This inverter came with my 1986 Sunrader. Does anybody have any info. on them? I also have solar panels up top that power my two Marine batteries for the coach. I mentioned in a earlier post that my batteries seem to be dead and even when hooked up to a generator I heard clicking noises every 30 seconds. My buddy is coming to check out the situation. He said he also will put in a "rectifyer" if I didn't have one?? Not sure how everything works together between engine battery, coach batteries, inverter, solar, and a possible recifyer. Anybody out there have the patients to try and explain? I'm going to attach a few pics of this inverter if I can get them to attach! I guess pics are to big?? It's a heart inverter.

Thanks,

Ken

In case this what you have :rolleyes:

Inverter converts 12 vdc to 120 vac and a converter converts 120 vac to 12vdc. I think you might be talking about the converter. The original 6300 series converter has a mechanical relay that switches the battery out of line when plugged into shore power and switches the battery charger in line with the battery. It makes a clunk noise when you plug into shore power. The relay can fail. If you take the front cover off you will see the relay, most likely covered in a ton of dust. Anyhow the 6300 series is a piece of junk if you compare it to modern day replacements such as the 7300 series solid state upgrade. If the 6300 is dead replace it. I will be pulling mine out of our new mh maybe this or next week replacing it with the 7300. Its yours for the cost of shipping if your interested, vintage 1991, a bit more modern then the 86 but basically the same.

Under the hood if you do not have a solid state battery isolator then you have the ford solenoid type. They get bat where there is a high resistance across the contacts or fail all together. Sometimes the ignition on is not supplying. That's easily checked with a volt meter, should be 12vdc on the small terminal with ignition on. Besides failing there is a serious downside to them. They put both the coach and starting battery in parallel when activated. While this might sound OK it is not. 1 you can end up over charging your starting battery or under charging the coach battery. 2 batteries in parallel should be identical. Size, make and dates (age) should be the same. Every battery has whats called an internal resistance, two batteries in parallel which are not alike will cause one to be over charged and the other under charged. Adding the length and size of the wire running back to the coach battery creates a voltage drop which compounds the problem even more. A solid state isolator will have the ability to direct the charge to the battery that needs the charge with out over charging the other. The parallel description (make, size and date) also applies to having two batteries together for the coach. Lead acid batteries are less tolerant to parallel when they are not the same than AGM. Imagine one battery constantly being charged more than the other, slightly boiling each time!

You might have a bad battery which will affect the other battery connected to it if its in parallel. A shorted cell will discharge all other cells.