I have a well cared for 1986 Toyota EZRYDER 21' MH (which i love!)

i have had it two years and maybe put 1,000 miles on it.

When i purchased it, it just had the tranny rebuilt by AMMCO.

That was 3,000 miles ago, it was shifting fine and going into overdrive just fine.

I was going up quite a long grade and shifted it into 2nd because i was going pretty slow being loaded. When i got to the top on the flat i hit the overdrive button and NOTHING. I was in drive going about 50-55 and no overdrive. The tranny looks to have oil leakage since i got it. Fluid is up on it. Could it be electrical?? :ranting2:

I have the Toyota manual on it but no mention of overdrive electrical. Thanks.

Most of the Toy's have a altitude sensor. It won't let the OD work above 3000ft. Are you still up the hill are have you returned to lower elevation.??

There is an electrical solenoid that controls the overdrive range. But it won't shift into OD unless the governor pressure is high enough, even if the solenoid is working.

Having a tranny rebuild by an AAMCO franchise doesn't carry a lot of weight in my book. I started typing in "aamco" in the Google toolbar and one of the autocomplete options was "aamco complaints." As spungo said in his thread, these franchise tranny shops fire people who take time to properly clean parts.

If you are seeing transmission fluid 3,000 miles after a rebuild under normal driving, there is something really wrong.

If you are seeing fluid, see if it's slinging out of the rear of the transmission. Feel the yoke at the extension housing. Does it wobble when you jerk it back and forth? Or is it solid.

When the typical failure happens, it starts with OD. Then, you can't get into 3rd. Then, you can't even get out of first. This is due to a progressive loss of pressure in the governor circuit.

The first test you should have done is a hydraulic pressure test. The governor pressure (as measured at the governor test port on the rear drivers side of the transmission) should be 13-21psi at 17-21MPH, 23-31psi at 30-37MPH, and 58-75psi at 57-71MPH. If the pressure plateus out, suspect a problem with the governor circuit...

The line pressure (as measure at the line pressure test port) should be 65-77psi in drive, 100-117psi in reverse.

If you have a wollowed out extension housing bushing, passing these tests won't really matter because you likely have a worn output shaft bushing as well, requiring a teardown to replace.

I'm rebuilding mine at the moment.

There is an electrical solenoid that controls the overdrive range. But it won't shift into OD unless the governor pressure is high enough, even if the solenoid is working.

Having a tranny rebuild by an AAMCO franchise doesn't carry a lot of weight in my book. I started typing in "aamco" in the Google toolbar and one of the autocomplete options was "aamco complaints." As spungo said in his thread, these franchise tranny shops fire people who take time to properly clean parts.

If you are seeing transmission fluid 3,000 miles after a rebuild under normal driving, there is something really wrong.

If you are seeing fluid, see if it's slinging out of the rear of the transmission. Feel the yoke at the extension housing. Does it wobble when you jerk it back and forth? Or is it solid.

Thanks for ALL the good info, Yes it is too bad Ammco stays in business, i have over $2,000 in reciepts for their shoddy work.

When the typical failure happens, it starts with OD. Then, you can't get into 3rd. Then, you can't even get out of first. This is due to a progressive loss of pressure in the governor circuit.

The first test you should have done is a hydraulic pressure test. The governor pressure (as measured at the governor test port on the rear drivers side of the transmission) should be 13-21psi at 17-21MPH, 23-31psi at 30-37MPH, and 58-75psi at 57-71MPH. If the pressure plateus out, suspect a problem with the governor circuit...

The line pressure (as measure at the line pressure test port) should be 65-77psi in drive, 100-117psi in reverse.

If you have a wollowed out extension housing bushing, passing these tests won't really matter because you likely have a worn output shaft bushing as well, requiring a teardown to replace.

I'm rebuilding mine at the moment.

post-1071-1236436233_thumb.jpg

Yes it can be electrical or it can be trans problems does the light come on when you turn the O/D off? In the fact it failed quickly with out any other issues I would lean towards the electrical. Yours is pretty simple on/off switch and a relay. You need to check it at the solenoid to see if you have power first.

Elevation doesn't affect mine its a V6 I did have a temp sensor connection cause it not to work there are two sensors top of eng close to firewall in the middle don't remember which one but just cleaning the plug worked

Dutch over on the other toyota site says that the Toyota owners guide indicates that OD is not to be used when the pickup is heavily loaded / read Toyhome

Tony

I pushed the buton out of overdrive EVERYTIME i see a incline comming up.

It was was working fine but when i got to the top of the hill and tryed to push the buton to go into overdrive it didn't go in.

I pushed the buton out of overdrive EVERYTIME i see a incline comming up.

It was was working fine but when i got to the top of the hill and tryed to push the buton to go into overdrive it didn't go in.

Again does the light come on when you turn the O/D switch off? I'm fairly certain that the O/D is on the same fuse as the wipers so if your wipers work the O/D probably has power. Next unplug the O/D solenoid at the transmission and have a friend switch the O/D in and out while you check for power at the transmission end (the engine should be warm to test it). If you have power on and off it is one of two things a bad solenoid or transmission issues. If you remove the solenoid there is a small "o" ring on the tip remove it replace the solenoid and drive it if the O/D works the solenoid is bad replace it and the "o" ring. If you leave the "o" ring off you will not be able to turn the O/D off.

• 2 weeks later...
Again does the light come on when you turn the O/D switch off? I'm fairly certain that the O/D is on the same fuse as the wipers so if your wipers work the O/D probably has power. Next unplug the O/D solenoid at the transmission and have a friend switch the O/D in and out while you check for power at the transmission end (the engine should be warm to test it). If you have power on and off it is one of two things a bad solenoid or transmission issues. If you remove the solenoid there is a small "o" ring on the tip remove it replace the solenoid and drive it if the O/D works the solenoid is bad replace it and the "o" ring. If you leave the "o" ring off you will not be able to turn the O/D off.

Yes the light comes on when i push the O.D. switch off & yes my wipers do work.

I will check the solenoid. thanks.

post-1071-1237513265_thumb.jpg