1986 Dolphin complete or parts - Midwest region

keitholivier

Hi folks

It may be heresy, but I recently bought a 22ft HiLo trailer for an unbeatable price and my Toyota motorhome is one project too many at this point. See the add here: http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/classifieds...ng.php?view=546 Anyone who wants to see pictures can see them in my album here: http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.ph...er&user=761

Right now it is a complete unit. It has the 22RE engine with about 6000 miles since a complete overhaul. The overhaul included a brand new cylinder head, new pistons/rings, new standard size bearings, new timing chain, cover/tensioner.

It has the 3 speed+overdrive automatic transmission and we stopped driving it when it refused to upshift from first until the transmission oil warmed up. When the oil is warm it appears to work perfectly, but when cold, all you get is 1st and reverse.

The unit has 6 new tires with the same 6000 miles on as the engine. I had all the wheels sandblasted down to bare steel, then painted with "cold galvanizing" zink rich primer, then painted silver. This was done prior to fitting the new tires 2 years ago. The cab is in reasonable shape, doors are good and everything works up front. There are a few rust holes at the deepest spot in the floor. The carpets are only fit to be torn out and replaced.

The rear coachwork is in poor shape and if I was keeping it I would do a complete rebuild with aluminum tubing and foam/filon sandwich like the newer RV's. It has the gas range/cooker. The ammonia refrigerator works but it looks like crap. I have never used the water heater or pump system.

The unit has the proper fully floating rear axle, although I would prefer to sell the RV to someone as either a rolling chassis or as a complete unit with the camper body on it.

I will be waiting for the weather to improve before tearing into it, so if you would like some or all of it, send me a PM. Obviously, someone who would take it off my hands would be preferred. I have about $2000 in it, just in the engine rebuild and tires, before considering the purchase price in the first place.

Thanks

Keith (near Napoleon MI)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, updates so far:

1 caller from Seattle for whom I am too far away

1 caller from somewhere in the Midwest who wants to gut the interior so that he can put his motorcycles inside, but who wants to know if the Toy will run 70mph on the Interstate. My reply was something along the lines of "well, if it is downhill AND you have a tailwind..."

If I could find a donor cab, I would just turn the thing into a nice pickup again, which would tow a trailer full of motorcycles just fine at 70mph. If there is anyone in the Midwest area who knows where I might find a cab, or a pickup without engine and tranny, I would appreciate knowing. I'm guessing they are not too common here, and the few examples are mostly rusted out after 20+ winters

• 6 months later...

gallery_761_115_16575.jpg

Well, the summer has come and gone, but no takers on the Dolphin. I guess it has been a pretty extreme year financially, so maybe that is not too surprising.

If anyone is looking for a full floating rear axle or a rebuilt 22RE motor I could think of pulling them. Before winter comes this unit is going to the crusher. It also has sandblasted rims painted with cold galvanizing paint and 4 new load D range tires (on the rear axle) that have only done one 6000 mile trip. Here is a new link to one of the photos.

Keith

Near Napoleon,MI

do you still have the side mirrors and hardware? I could use some.. Thanks, Doug

gallery_761_115_16575.jpg

Well, the summer has come and gone, but no takers on the Dolphin. I guess it has been a pretty extreme year financially, so maybe that is not too surprising.

If anyone is looking for a full floating rear axle or a rebuilt 22RE motor I could think of pulling them. Before winter comes this unit is going to the crusher. It also has sandblasted rims painted with cold galvanizing paint and 4 new load D range tires (on the rear axle) that have only done one 6000 mile trip. Here is a new link to one of the photos.

Keith

Near Napoleon,MI

Doug, the mirrors are the originals and not in good shape. The would continuously drift out of position and I doubt they are worth saving. If it wasn't for the fact that nothing new is a direct fit, I would have replaced them before my first trip.

Thanks Keith, I'm just having a really hard time finding mirrors to fit my New Horizon. Just finding the mirror hardware (tubing) has been impossible. The Dolphin and New Horizon have the same mirrors. Maybe the mirrors can be refurbished not to drift?

Unfortunately, the ball/cup and the pressed steel backing, even the tubing is just mild steel. The design lifetime could not be more than 8 years, perhaps only 3 years in coastal areas. On some of the trucking sites there is better hardware out there, but the tubular frame has to be modified to fit our Toyotas and since they are stainless, not cheap. The one I found below is more reasonable than any I came across on my earlier searches:

Take a look at this example here : https://www.berrylan...ror-p-7602.html

Maybe the mirrors can be refurbished not to drift?

Keith,

I own an 84 toyota phoenix motorhome I picked up recently and one of the problems is the refrigerator does not work. It came from the factory wityh a dometic rm461 but id guess yours is about the same size or close enough to make it fit, if you are going to part this baby out would you consider shipping me the refrigerator? I might be interested in your tires and rims as well. shoot me a pm with what you are asking for them. cheers, rick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...