Hello,

I have a 1982 Dolphin. I recently swapped out the axle, but have a question... The new 1 ton axle has a different gearing than the old 5 lug axle, the 1 ton seems to have a taller gearset (Or, more for "towing", not as good for highway).

The transmission is a 4 speed, with this new taller gearing in the axle, would a 5 speed manual be feasible for the little 22R? It is a 20' motorhome. If I could do a 5 speed swap, what is neccesary for that? Just a shorter drivehsaft?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a 1982 Dolphin. I recently swapped out the axle, but have a question... The new 1 ton axle has a different gearing than the old 5 lug axle, the 1 ton seems to have a taller gearset (Or, more for "towing", not as good for highway).

The transmission is a 4 speed, with this new taller gearing in the axle, would a 5 speed manual be feasible for the little 22R? It is a 20' motorhome. If I could do a 5 speed swap, what is neccesary for that? Just a shorter drivehsaft?

I doubt that this swap is worth it. You won't be able to use fifth gear all that much, especially behind a 22R. The fuel saved will never pay for the cost and hassle of the swap. Now if you swapped a 22re and a five speed.........

The 5sp would be cool IF you swapped the rear axle ratio to something like a 4:56 or a 4.88

The Yahoo Toyota Camper site has a speed/rpm /gear ratio in the files section.

The peak torque on a 22r is around 2800 rpm and max HP is 4800. So you sorta want to split the difference. Right now you are turning about 3600 @65

in 4th. With a 4.56 you would be turning 3400 @65 and with a 4.88 you would be turning about the same as the 4 sp 3600 rpm . BUT instead of having 3 gears for the mountains you would have 4.

So IMHO if you live in the flat lands go for the 4.56, if you live in the mountains go for the 4.88

The gear calculator is also here http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/gear_ratios.htm Its actually set up for 4 wheel drive trucks so you have to configure it correctly for a 2 wheel drive. The gears are easy to swap out. The dual axle uses the same gear set which is behind all V6 trucks. I would swap the gears before I swapped the tranny.

I think the 82's had a cast iron 5 speed, they were terrible transmissions if you can even find one! They had extreme bearing failure problems the 4 spds were fine. I maybe all wrong on this one but if it is a cast iron 5 speed do your self a favor and keep the 4 speed. I really don't remember when they swapped to the aluminum case but they were OK.