New kid

erly

I just bought a 1975 Toyota Chinook this weekend. The camper has a lot of cosmetic work I need to do on it, but other than that it runs great. I drove it home to Seattle from Portland this weekend, and it didn't give me any problems. I'm pretty glad I don't have to worry about speeding in it, either.

It came with all the original manuals for the Chinook and the Helux, and the water pump, fire extinguisher, propane stove, ice box... it's pretty cool. The owner who had it before the girl I bought it from was a mechanic apparently, and had replaced pretty much everything except the transmission within the last 5 years. The engine is a 22R, all the belts and hoses have been replaced, it came with 5 brand new tires and rims, and a new battery. I think I did pretty good for $1300.

But it's got a lot of work to be done inside. It has some added guages - thermostat, battery, and oil; but I know at least the thermostat guage doesn't work, and no heat comes out the vent - only the defroster. The original owner put a toilet in behind the driver's seat, which I am going to take out and replace with a storage cabinet or something. I want to re-do the other cabinets inside (one has a broken track for the sliding panels)and replace the carpet. There are a couple of spots outside where the fiberglass needs to be patched up, and some inside panels need to be replaced from water damage. The pop-top isn't in very bad shape, but I need to take it to an uphosltry/awning place to fix the zipper on the front panel that is broken. All the nuts and bolts and screws are pretty rusty and need to be replaced, and maybe a new cover and another burner for the stove. I want to replace the icebox with a fridge, and replace the radio (which doesn't work) as well.

I'll post some before pictures before I start working on it.

Look nice like to see some pictures when you start working on it good deal !!

I just bought a 1975 Toyota Chinook this weekend. The camper has a lot of cosmetic work I need to do on it, but other than that it runs great. I drove it home to Seattle from Portland this weekend, and it didn't give me any problems. I'm pretty glad I don't have to worry about speeding in it, either.

It came with all the original manuals for the Chinook and the Helux, and the water pump, fire extinguisher, propane stove, ice box... it's pretty cool. The owner who had it before the girl I bought it from was a mechanic apparently, and had replaced pretty much everything except the transmission within the last 5 years. The engine is a 22R, all the belts and hoses have been replaced, it came with 5 brand new tires and rims, and a new battery. I think I did pretty good for $1300.

But it's got a lot of work to be done inside. It has some added guages - thermostat, battery, and oil; but I know at least the thermostat guage doesn't work, and no heat comes out the vent - only the defroster. The original owner put a toilet in behind the driver's seat, which I am going to take out and replace with a storage cabinet or something. I want to re-do the other cabinets inside (one has a broken track for the sliding panels)and replace the carpet. There are a couple of spots outside where the fiberglass needs to be patched up, and some inside panels need to be replaced from water damage. The pop-top isn't in very bad shape, but I need to take it to an uphosltry/awning place to fix the zipper on the front panel that is broken. All the nuts and bolts and screws are pretty rusty and need to be replaced, and maybe a new cover and another burner for the stove. I want to replace the icebox with a fridge, and replace the radio (which doesn't work) as well.

I'll post some before pictures before I start working on it.

good for you new kid! (erly)

i like the chinooks... that lower profile makes it more versatile and easier to drive... more mobile!

My 84 dolphin had to be towed today...

clutch died out of nowhere...

BUMMER!

welcome to the greatest SMALL forum on the internet...

very nice and helpful folk here... they think im weird but im not arguing that...

:)

good luck with the new ride..... SO MUCH FUN!

good for you new kid! (erly)

i like the chinooks... that lower profile makes it more versatile and easier to drive... more mobile!

My 84 dolphin had to be towed today...

clutch died out of nowhere...

BUMMER!

welcome to the greatest SMALL forum on the internet...

very nice and helpful folk here... they think im weird but im not arguing that...

:)

good luck with the new ride..... SO MUCH FUN!

Thats the best 1300.00 investment you will ever make. I am sure you will get a ton of use and enjoyment out of your Chinook.

• 7 months later...