Restoring Interior of 1982 Dolphin

FacingMyGiants

Hello,

I just joined this site found it a couple of days ago and have been reading. Very happy that it exists. I have an 1982 Dolphin RV that my grandparents bought brand new and they had a lot of fun camping in t. They are not around any more but there RV is and I have got it running pretty good and would like to start working on other things. I would like to start restoring the interior. I was wondering if anybody has some experience (tips and tricks) with this.

Thank you in advance for your tips

Edited by FacingMyGiants

Hello,

I just joined this site found it a couple of days ago and have been reading. Very happy that it exists. I have an 1982 Dolphin RV that my grandparents bought brand new and they had a lot of fun camping in t. They are not around any more but there RV is and I have got it running pretty good and would like to start working on other things. I would like to start restoring the interior. I was wondering if anybody has some experience (tips and tricks) with this.

Thank you in advance for your tips

Hello

My name is Steve and I would like to start restoring the interior of my grandparents 1982 Dolphin motor home. i know nothing about this. Maybe you could tell me where to start and what tools I will need.

Thanks

Hi Steve,... had zero experience with motorhome renovation and i jumped right in to tearing out water damage on a 83 dolphin i had...

they are constructed very simply once you (CAREFULLY) tear out the damage it becomes evident that these are made of 1"x2" soft-wood ribbing with 1/8 paneling on top... wherever i found water damage i upgraded the ribbing with oak stock of the same dimensions... and even threw in some extra support bracing

do you have experience with any kind of woodwork, construction?

I personally just used these tools...

1. nice drill... i prefer corded.

2. tape measure...

3. pencil

4. miter box ( i used a 20 dollar hand-saw/miter box not a power saw)

5. screwdrivers

6. occasional wrenches, sockets

7. MUSIC Maestro!

8 RECRUITED FRIENDS TO WORK! (use the old tom sawyer tactic: convince them how much fun it is and they will actually take the brush and finish painting the fence for you... or repair your yodahome...)

9. USE A NOTEBOOK to sketch out the configurations of wiring paths and anything else you will need to remember, measurements etc... BEFORE you start CAREFULLY dismantling your interior...

i have about 2% of the knowledge that some of the people on this forum have... im sure they will be willing to help you out...

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES. before, during and after...

showing us pictures of the damage really helps people to give you the tips that you need to do your best.

also.... the window seals on these things have been compared to boat repair... you must replace the (BUTYL TAPE) seals every 5 years or so... while the paneling is off is a great time to dismantle the windows and look at resealing them... never use silicon. only use butyl tape. available online or at rv supply shops...

the same goes for your vents and escape hatch up top...

man all of this is reminding me how much my yodahome needs this spring...

have fun!