I know of all the bad press these 3.slows get. I hope some of it is unfounded, lots of those things running around. I have two center cylinders with low compression, 85 psi and 125 psi. on my 89. I checked out the valve lash and found both exhaust valves too tight to get any sized feeler gauge in between. I don't have the special plyers to depress the valve, was thinking of making a tool, any ideas? Biggest question is with an engine with only 53k on it, what are the chances the exh valves are tuliped? When I pulled the injection plenum, HUGE deep mouse nest, full of home insulation, nuts, etc. Bet this helped heat up the center cylinders...Thanks in advance, John in NH

post-2355-1234223309_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptJohn

If they are that tight that is probably why the compression is down. There is a special tool that pushes the edge of the lifter down that allows enough room to get the shim out making one would be a pretty neat trick. The shims are selective so you need to try a thinner one. Hard telling about the valves guess you got to get some clearance in they first. Yeah those pesky critters can build a nest over night and of course you know where the fiberglass came from. I live in the middle of no where and I check all of my filters every oil change.

Snap on, YA8825. $50 from you local dealer :o

http://www.toolsource.com/japan-toyota-c-8...32_834_840.html

There are several tools here that will do what you want cheapest one about $8.00, one to just compress the bucket to have access to the shim don't try to turn the eng over with shim out cam will hit side off bucket. The check you did with no clearance there's probably something happened to the valves.If you end up removing the heads get good gaskets and

there's a water passage that can be blocked if gaskets are mixed up or turned over I don't remember.Check your exhaust manifolds also if warped they can be machined.