Generators

Hi, I just bought a 1984 Toy Motorhome. I would like to install a generator. What do you suggest, can I get one that will fit in the space provided on the side? If so what make and model would suit me the best? Please advise, I'm new to all of this... Thanks in advance. Ed

The best you can do is an Onan 2800, also most $$$ but its the right one.

Everything else is some sort of compromise., but cheaper

WME is right the Onan is the way to go it is designed to work in a closed environment external exhaust, hot air discharge remote start and designed to be in a closed in space and takes gas from your fuel tank so filling is not a problem or a danger. If you just want a generator with out great expense just get a Honda or some thing take it out of the generator box and sit it on the ground when you want to use it.

WME is right the Onan is the way to go it is designed to work in a closed environment external exhaust, hot air discharge remote start and designed to be in a closed in space and takes gas from your fuel tank so filling is not a problem or a danger. If you just want a generator with out great expense just get a Honda or some thing take it out of the generator box and sit it on the ground when you want to use it.

Thanks for the info, I will look into this and make a decesion. How many watts do I need to run a 3400 A/C, 700 Microwave, Frig, and TV, and maybe some other small items? Can I run all these things at the same time?

The best you can do is an Onan 2800, also most $$ but its the right one.

Everything else is some sort of compromise., but cheaper

Hi, Yes, have be looking at this unit, and it looks great, but I'm afraid it's out of my price range. If I could find a used one, what would I need to know, not to get a piece of junk?

What is the minium wattage I can get away with on a Honda? I found a unit at www.heartlandamerica.com 2800 Watt No name unit for $229.00 is this a piece of junk, or do you think it would work? I doubt it would fit in the generator space provided on the unit, but I would fasten it to the rear bumper in some fasion. The price does concern me though! I do want something that will last a while.

2,800 watts should be sufficient, as far as the generator that’s pretty cheap. I have what is probably a smaller version (1,500 watts) and it is definitely Chinese.. I use mine around the farm and it does the job and is quiet, long term don’t know so far so good. My MH has the 2,800 watt Onan and it is fine for A/C, microwave and pretty much any thing I need to run. Be careful of the generator rating often they rate the generator at peak watts not running watts so check the tag and make sure you are getting what you want.

2,800 watts should be sufficient, as far as the generator that's pretty cheap. I have what is probably a smaller version (1,500 watts) and it is definitely Chinese.. I use mine around the farm and it does the job and is quiet, long term don't know so far so good. My MH has the 2,800 watt Onan and it is fine for A/C, microwave and pretty much any thing I need to run. Be careful of the generator rating often they rate the generator at peak watts not running watts so check the tag and make sure you are getting what you want.

Thanks, yes I just noticed the peak is 2800 watts, 2600 watt continuous. It also has to be used outside, and not contained in a compartment? I guess that's not a problem, as I will hang it off the rear bumper assy, as the former owner built a shelf their to carry stuff on and it will support a genterator without a problem.

My complication is that the 2800 is bigger than the available compartment on my 86 Sunrader.

How big is you generator box??

The Onan can be installed from the bottom with a special installation kit. The floor opening needs to be about 25x17"