I'm probably forever in debt to ToyotaMotorhomes.com

I came across your web site at the very time I was about to buy a used 1979 Toyota Dolphin RV from a car lot in my home town. I was seriously about to lay down the cash, and then I read the information on the Toyota rear axle issue from the PDF file you have made available on your web site. I remember that I had heard something about that in the past. After reading the article, I printed it out, and went to the car lot to check that rear axle.

The RV did not have dual wheels in the back, just really wide single wheels. I asked the guy at the lot if I could pull the hub cap off and take a look at the bolt pattern. He reluctantly(!) gave me a screwdriver. Pulling off the hub cap, I found yet another hub cap underneath, deeper into the wheel. This smaller, 6-inch wide "moon-style" cap covered the axle bolts. I asked the guy on the lot for a different tool to get that cap off.

So I get the cap off, and there's the infamous 5-bolt rear axle looking me in the face. I then told the guy on the car lot the whole issue of the rear end. By his reaction, I could tell the guy already knew full well about it to begin with, and he STILL had been trying to get me to buy it, the jerk. Scheisters, every one of them. :mad2:

I have a wife and three kids all under the age of 8 years old, one of then 3 months old today. And I was about to put them in this deathtrap for cross country driving at highway speeds.

THANK YOU. For all I know, it is quite possible that you may have saved the lives of my family. :omg:

Bob Hodges

Seattle, Wa.

Well, remember that you can alway have an axle made if you really want a mini. I have been contemplating upgrading my metric 1 ton over to a regular 1 ton axle (GM 14 blolt) for additional safety.

I came across your web site at the very time I was about to buy a used 1979 Toyota Dolphin RV from a car lot in my home town. I was seriously about to lay down the cash, and then I read the information on the Toyota rear axle issue from the PDF file you have made available on your web site. I remember that I had heard something about that in the past. After reading the article, I printed it out, and went to the car lot to check that rear axle.

The RV did not have dual wheels in the back, just really wide single wheels. I asked the guy at the lot if I could pull the hub cap off and take a look at the bolt pattern. He reluctantly(!) gave me a screwdriver. Pulling off the hub cap, I found yet another hub cap underneath, deeper into the wheel. This smaller, 6-inch wide "moon-style" cap covered the axle bolts. I asked the guy on the lot for a different tool to get that cap off.

So I get the cap off, and there's the infamous 5-bolt rear axle looking me in the face. I then told the guy on the car lot the whole issue of the rear end. By his reaction, I could tell the guy already knew full well about it to begin with, and he STILL had been trying to get me to buy it, the jerk. Scheisters, every one of them. :mad2:

I have a wife and three kids all under the age of 8 years old, one of then 3 months old today. And I was about to put them in this deathtrap for cross country driving at highway speeds.

THANK YOU. For all I know, it is quite possible that you may have saved the lives of my family. :omg:

Bob Hodges

Seattle, Wa.