New here-great site

Shoprat

Glad I found you Guys. I am thinking of modifying my Sunraders' 22re engine to get a little more oomph going up hills. I love the 22res' gas mileage and dependability, just need a little more power in the mountains. Around here in Michigan it's pretty much flat, so the 22s fine. I get 18+ for mileage. But once a year the wife and I travel down to the Smokies to camp in the National Park, and this involves some mountain work. This will be the first year we have used this home, so am a little trepidatious about the hill climbing thing. I have been doing some research on this subject, and an outfit called LC Engineering makes a turbo that evidently bolts up to the stock engine in a weekend. Has a header in the kit and all. Sounds like just what I can use. It's expensive, 2500 bucks, but if it does the job, what the hey. Anyone here have input for an ol' wrench twister from way back?

It is a great site seems a little slow though, many seem to go to the yahoo site much more, to bad too this one is so much easier to use.

As for LC they are a very good company with a good reputation. First I would need to know how many miles are on the 22r you have now. After that I would suggest if that is your only jaunt that typically involves hills, there are many cheaper mods that can help a great deal.

There is a wealth of info on the net for this engine and valuable upgrades that aren't nearly as extreme as a turbo(extreme being cost and wear and tear). Granted they will not give the huge boost in power that a turbo will but if once a year is the purpose I think your money can be spent better in other places.

I haven't seen to many rv folks discuss engine swaps but the toyota 3.4 used from 95.5 to 2004 have been swapped into 4x4's with the same engine bay that yours currently has.(don't know if them being lifted gives the extra room needed). The 3.4 is a huge jump in power and is very very reliable and has garnered the same rep as the 22r( bullet proof although a little more matainance is needed do to dual overhead cam). In my Tacoma with the 3.4 I can sometimes exceed 22 miles to the gallon although my driving style negates that more than not.

But all in all keep it simple with slight power upgrades ie: cam, ignition, headers, free flow exhaust, injector up grade. Just my .02

good luck

DANGER WILL ROBINSON.....To bolt on a turbo designed for a Celica, or a lightly loaded pickup is asking for problems. On a long hill with the throttle floored the underhood temps would get unreal , plus the pistons would take a real heat job with minutes of full boost instead of seconds. When Toyota made the 22RET they did many things to the inside of the engine, lower compression and bigger oil pump for starters. They also water cooled the turbo.

Normal hot rod stuff might serve you better.

I live in the Rocky Mts and have to climb 8000 ft + passes to get most anyplace.

I've made the following mods to my engine. Oversized TB, a 270 "RV" cam, oversized valves, 3 angle valve job, a port matched head and a cat back 2.5" exhaust .

Also new rings and rod bearings. To many times I've seen a newly hop-up engine blow the old rings out and the oil use goes way up.

I guessing its in the 135hp+ range or about the same as the Toy factory turbo.

The combo is MUCh improved in the hills, sorta feels like a permanent 10-15 mph tailwind on the flats.

Glad I found you Guys. I am thinking of modifying my Sunraders' 22re engine to get a little more oomph going up hills. I love the 22res' gas mileage and dependability, just need a little more power in the mountains. Around here in Michigan it's pretty much flat, so the 22s fine. I get 18+ for mileage. But once a year the wife and I travel down to the Smokies to camp in the National Park, and this involves some mountain work. This will be the first year we have used this home, so am a little trepidatious about the hill climbing thing. I have been doing some research on this subject, and an outfit called LC Engineering makes a turbo that evidently bolts up to the stock engine in a weekend. Has a header in the kit and all. Sounds like just what I can use. It's expensive, 2500 bucks, but if it does the job, what the hey. Anyone here have input for an ol' wrench twister from way back?

Being a several car Turbo owner I have to agree with WME. You can do it but your engine will be short lived. If you have the money build the engine from the ground up for turbo operation. The stock Toyota turbos are prone to overheating. It is felt that it is partly due to a bad waste gate design and second too small exhaust. There are some after market turbos that the turbo toy owners are using to replace the stock unit, its a t3 t2 hybrid. Most have been really happy with it and the 10psi boost is better than the 5 to 6 psi of the stock, they also spin up faster. As a note to the stock units, the bearings is not what fails as in most turbos. They actually get a hole burned thru at the waste gate due to the heat build up. Another option is a super charger. I have no experience with that so I will stop there. I will say this about the turbo , high altitude and steep grades. It takes a while for a turbo to spin up, even longer at altitude. Because a turbo engine uses lower compression at low rpms you also have lower horsepower until you can get that turbo producing boost. I have a whole set of lower gears due to being 4x4 so I do use them at 8000 feet to get a good start on an upgrade In normal gears without the turbo producing boost you wonder if your even going to get lift off.

Greg

Weeeeeeellll, ok. Sounds like a turbo is not the way to go. I don't want to pound the engine to death.Thought I had it made.Rats ! Here's another thought . if I use my auto trans like a stick, drop it into second and wind the engine at the peak of the power curve, would this work ok. Seems like it would to me. What is the peak torque rpm and redline on these engines?

Maybe I'll check out the engine swap option. Anyone heard how the Ford 302 does in these things ?

• 3 months later...

Speaking from only a few months experience with my 22RE, with 5 main bearings these babies can "scream" for a long time. I usually run mine in third on the highway at 60-65 mph for hours at a time (which is turning a fair amount of RPMs). But, the torque curve is the best up there...

As for mods, I put on LC Eng headers and got about 10-15 h.p. which was noticeable. I'll put the cam in in the next few weeks, God-willing. We'll see.

But, I've also put a 302 (with new cams, headers, 4bbl, etc.) in a 1984 Ford Ranger (changed it from a 2.3 four cylinder when I totally restored the truck with my father during college and medical school a few years back... truck body and frame were from Texas and mint...). I wouldn't recommend it on the Toyota. It fits well in the Ranger, but even in the Ranger I needed new motor mounts, new pan (to fit over the axle), remote oil filter kit, etc., etc., etc. Plus, you'd have less room in the Toyota and you'd likely need to cut back your fire wall, change the tranny (to a C4 if you want an AT), change the drive shaft, etc., etc., etc. It cost me (literally) $5,000 more than I thought ($10,000 total) to put it in my Ranger (granted, I got a shift kit and some other modifications while I was at it...). It would also take far more time than you probably think... I'd recommend doing easy mods and seeing how you like them. You can probably gain 20-30 h.p. the easy way with out so much work! Or, ask the other guys with turbos! That isn't as much up my alley!

Let me know if you try it! =) I love Ford's 302 (almost as much as their 351 Cleveland)!

DWBMD

Howdy Dave.

Since this post was posted I decided to do the dirty and go the turbo route ! I also added a few other goodies to sweeten the result. So far this Toy has about 5 grand worth of goodies that didn't come stock. I listed a lot of them and some of the upgrades in the engine and drivetrain classification below. I worked on Fords in a few dealerships back in the day, and I agree with you on the 351 Cleveland. But the 351 won't hold the 390s' athletic supporter ( sorry ladies ). I am still in awe of the 428 CJ. Ahhhhhh yes, tire smoke and the sound of a big honkin' 4bbl dissappearin' in the distance- those were the days !