Hi All Im so frustrated

Chainlink

I have been watching the forums and drooling over the 4x4's in the main page for a long while now.

I realize they are rare but dang even trying to pull my own conversion is daunting.I see Turbo has a pic posted of one that I found at another web site that was a conversion on I believe an 87. I have 3 other pics of it saved. Its white and kinda built like a chinook. I researched who was supposed to have made it but after countless hours of looking for the company(may be out of buisness)I have come up empty.

Im am fairly good with yotas as I have had close to 20 of them but still havent landed my 4x4(camper). Even a total beater that needs my love would be awesome.

Basically wanted to say hi and vent, you lucky sob's with 4x4's I am so jealous.

A conversion would need a same year(s) truck. (Although you could put a solid axle on an ifs 2 wheel drive) I could not say if you would have to weld in any mounting brackets for the front end and tranny transfer case but probably would. In 86 toyota switched to the independent front suspension for the 4x4. The extreme toy 4x4 owners seem to prefer the solid front axles and there are even some conversion kits made to switch from ifs to solid. The biggest problem I see is having the room to strip one truck then dismantle the other and rebuild it. A lot of work thats for sure. But the 4x4's can go for a high price. I hear that the 84 presently for sale is bidding at above 15,000 dollars. A conversion could be a reasonable option at those prices.

Greg

Yes solid axle is my choice as I have had many pre 86 yotas(trucks 4runners). There are many kits to convert the independents to solid but for the tacomas it is very difficult and beyond my skill as they have little things like rack and pinion and so on. Just converting from rack and pinion to a steering box on a taco is daunting.....As for strength I would try to source out a fj80 front axle maybe even rear....if I were to go a complete hybrid.

High dollar is right, and thats what makes me so crazy. I want a beat down no one wants it please haul it away rig. That way I can modernize and power up how I see fit. Swapping out the tried an true 22r may seem crazy to some but I would jump up a 3.4 as they are just as reliable and will fit as many in the rock crawling world have done it. The power is one benifit but I think gas milage wouldnt suffer to much as I can get 22 23 on the highway with mods I made to my taco.

I think.....think being the operative word, independent would still work for a smaller rig like a chinook just a tad bigger 16' range.

heck I could go on and on about my ideas as I have wanted one forever and thought about doing my own almost as long....On another sour note I never till a couple of weeks ago looked at your get togethers and saw you had an east coast one in Vermont :angry: . ........I live in Vermont, I would have enjoyed looking at some other loyal yota fans rigs in person.

It will happen one way or another as for me Its yota or bust. :ThumbUp:

http://www.brian894x4.com/Expedition4X4s.html

Is a great page of modified yotas....and you will notice the conversion I spoke of before....Ken Trinder sent in the photos you will recognise the one you posted up but 3 other pics of it

Anyway I am sure no one wants to read what is quickly becoming a book.

Chainlink

Just an oddball thought. Find you a good 4x4 and a clunker Raider and swat the MH part. Several of the RV rentals used to do this when the coach got to high of milage, Used to see 95 Coaches on 97 Chassie

Yes solid axle is my choice as I have had many pre 86 yotas(trucks 4runners). There are many kits to convert the independents to solid but for the tacomas it is very difficult and beyond my skill as they have little things like rack and pinion and so on. Just converting from rack and pinion to a steering box on a taco is daunting.....As for strength I would try to source out a fj80 front axle maybe even rear....if I were to go a complete hybrid.

High dollar is right, and thats what makes me so crazy. I want a beat down no one wants it please haul it away rig. That way I can modernize and power up how I see fit. Swapping out the tried an true 22r may seem crazy to some but I would jump up a 3.4 as they are just as reliable and will fit as many in the rock crawling world have done it. The power is one benifit but I think gas milage wouldnt suffer to much as I can get 22 23 on the highway with mods I made to my taco.

I think.....think being the operative word, independent would still work for a smaller rig like a chinook just a tad bigger 16' range.

heck I could go on and on about my ideas as I have wanted one forever and thought about doing my own almost as long....On another sour note I never till a couple of weeks ago looked at your get togethers and saw you had an east coast one in Vermont :angry: . ........I live in Vermont, I would have enjoyed looking at some other loyal yota fans rigs in person.

It will happen one way or another as for me Its yota or bust. :ThumbUp:

http://www.brian894x4.com/Expedition4X4s.html

Is a great page of modified yotas....and you will notice the conversion I spoke of before....Ken Trinder sent in the photos you will recognise the one you posted up but 3 other pics of it

Anyway I am sure no one wants to read what is quickly becoming a book.

Chainlink

I am happy with the ifs front end. The ride and handling are supurb. Yes it is a 4x4 but at 7000 pounds loaded its not a trail machine. You have to consider what type of 4x4 you need. Something that is going to get you into somewhat ruff camping spots or some what extreme spots. A smaller 4x4 chinook is a much better all around 4x4 rv than a sunrader. Weight will allways be a consideration.

Greg

hi there chainlink;

I was looking through the 4x4's on the link you included in your post, and am interested in the bonza coach from indiana, but can't locate them through a google search.....any suggestions???

Ya youll notice in my first post in this thread I looked too.I have looked at great length for the maker of that rig and came up short. Was in Indiana this summer for a week :thumbdown: and looked at the yellow pages in a few areas and found nothing.

I think a set up like that is more doable in terms of cost than getting a raider or such. I figure doing up a Tacoma would be a fun truck, although I have yet to decide if it would remain light enough to stick with original rear axle. A full floater would be desired.

• 4 weeks later...

E-Bay 4x4 pop top, maybe a little pricey but maybe not. Kinda of hard to price a 4x4

ebay #4614825219

E-Bay 4x4 pop top, maybe a little pricey but maybe not. Kinda of hard to price a 4x4

ebay #4614825219

Ya I saw that, one of the questions asked was mine," was it one of a kind?" I saw it very soon after listed. Thank you for the heads up. Those are very cool indeed. I great camper for the toyota 3.4. I do wonder however about the rear axle....is it up to the job of that much weight? Would a swap of the axle be needed as well as the 22r?

Now we are talking more than just the asking price. I will keep hunting for the handyman special(dirt cheap hopefully) so those upgrades dont seem a huge expense after the purchase of just the rig.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

check out e-bay dude......there's a sunrader for sale there

i plan on taking my classic 73 chinook and put a my running gear out of my 83 4x4 in her. 22r, l52, topshift tcase, front and rear axle. doing the solid axle swap on these is just as easy as doing it to a regular truck. i thought about putting a fuel injected unit in there but now worth it at the time. i dont plan on making a huge beast, just 31 or 32" tires for fishing, hunting, and when my buddies go dirtbiking

i plan on taking my classic 73 chinook and put a my running gear out of my 83 4x4 in her. 22r, l52, topshift tcase, front and rear axle. doing the solid axle swap on these is just as easy as doing it to a regular truck.

Interesting idea, I'll be looking forward to hear how it goes.